Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:41 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,563,108 times

Advertisements

I live in central Connecticut, fairly close to Hartford. Me, my brother and a friend from Bristol are intending to attend the Carolina League All-Star Game (baseball) at Frawley Stadium in Wilmington that evening.

With that said, it reminds me of the last time I was in Wilmington...June 2-3, 2012. A different friend stayed at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington-Downtown at 422 Delaware Avenue. I remember my friend driving down some not-so-nice looking streets in between. I sure as hell don't want to do that again!

One of the areas my friend (for the future trip) is looking at is New Castle. I've only passed through that town along I-295/US Route 40 and the Memorial Bridge thus far. Priceline(dot)com shows a few places fairly close to an exit after the Bridge toll plaza. Is there much to do in that area, in terms of passing the time until getting to Frawley Stadium?

Option B would have us staying further west in Elkton, MD, about a mile from the state line or so. That's only if we continued to Harrisburg, PA the next day (a noon game with the New Britain Rock Cats vs the Harrisburg Senators, AA-level Eastern League).

In the end, I'd like to make my third lifetime visit to the Diamond State a memorable one (2009, 2012 and June).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM

64 posts, read 116,634 times
A brand new Westin just opened near the stadium. How about that?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:07 PM

148 posts, read 277,096 times
Those hotels in New Castle have a reputation for the world's oldest profession.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Duly noted! Watch out for the seedy looking women late at night!

I'll check out the other hotel mentioned. Sounds pretty pricey, though!

OK...I've checked that place out. Safe to say I won't be staying there! One, no rooms are available for that night and two...using June 2nd/3rd as an example, they want $279 a night! YIKES!

Last edited by KEVIN_224; 05-24-2014 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Checked hotel information

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
The Inn at Montchanin is a lovely country inn situated in the Chateau Country immediately north of Wilmington proper -- no more than a 10 minute drive into the city, but in the scenic rolling hills of northern DE. I would very much recommend it.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:43 AM

145 posts, read 320,778 times
If you want easy access to Frawley Stadium, check out all the hotels off Churchman's Rd in Newark. It is right off I-95. There isn't much right around that area (besides a hospital and strip malls) but there are a lot of hotels. Another option is just south of the University of Delaware, which would also be off I-95, although a different exit. I would just try to stay somewhere to close to I-95 because you will have easy in and out access to the Stadium. It is a shame the Westin is all filled because it is literally in the parking lot of the stadium.

If you are heading to Harrisburg the following day, then staying by the University might be the easiest way. You can take 896N to Lancaster and then head on to Harrisburg from there.

Enjoy the Game! It's a great stadium.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the tips! I've been to Frawley Stadium twice so far. Here, we have New Britain Stadium, home to the Rock Cats of the AA-level Eastern League (Minnesota Twins affiliate). It's a mere 16 minute walk from my place to their front gates. Far enough away to not hear the P.A. system, but close enough to hear the faint booms of the fireworks.

Churchman's Road in Newark? I'll have to check that out. I've only been in that city along Amtrak and I-95.

When I mentioned Elkton, MD earlier...it would be close to Exit 109, just over the state line, most likely.

DE Route 896...isn't that the road that makes an extremely brief cut into the corner of Maryland, before it enters Pennsylvania?

@ DOCTORJEF: The Inn at Montchanin doesn't take online reservations. It also says it's 5 miles northwest of downtown. Wait...rolling hills? I thought Delaware really didn't have them! (Rhode Island is similar with Jerimoth Hill at 812 feet. Hills don't quite start until you close to the Connecticut border.)

Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 AM

319 posts, read 504,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereshome View Post
If you want easy access to Frawley Stadium, check out all the hotels off Churchman's Rd in Newark. It is right off I-95. There isn't much right around that area (besides a hospital and strip malls) but there are a lot of hotels. Another option is just south of the University of Delaware, which would also be off I-95, although a different exit. I would just try to stay somewhere to close to I-95 because you will have easy in and out access to the Stadium. It is a shame the Westin is all filled because it is literally in the parking lot of the stadium.

If you are heading to Harrisburg the following day, then staying by the University might be the easiest way. You can take 896N to Lancaster and then head on to Harrisburg from there.

Enjoy the Game! It's a great stadium.

A Westin Hotel just opened up right there at the Riverfront.
As it just opened, things will be shiny and new, but there isn't
much information for determination of people's opinion of
the facility.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
Kevin,why can't one pick up the phone to make reservations? North of Wilmington on either side of Rt 52 is quite hilly. I live here and should know!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 PM

145 posts, read 320,778 times
I am not sure the Inn at Montchanin is the type of hotel you are looking for. I could be wrong but it seems to be more of a couple getaway than a place to stay after a baseball game.

I just think there are options that are just as good that are closer than Elkton.

I have one question....is the same guy still the MC for the Rock Cats and the Wolfpack?? I used to live in CT and we enjoyed going to see the Rock Cats a couple of times each summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware