Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM

66 posts, read 120,800 times

Advertisements

According to the Condé Nast’s annual Readers’ Choice Survey, Wilmington, DE comes in at #9 of the most unfriendliest cities in America. But the good news is that it is down from #8 from last year. Here is the description given from the article:

"Delaware’s largest city is has culture, to be sure, and "cows—lots of cows,” according to one reader. Though most readers seem to travel here “for business,” some have found opportunities to explore. “The redone waterfront is very beautiful in summer,” and bakery-meets-bistro La Fia “might be one of the hardest reservations to nab” thanks to the work of James Beard-nominated chef Bryan Sikora."

The 2014 Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the U.S.

It's sad to see our only "big" city on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 12,276 times
FWIW I recently passed through Wilmington and spent an afternoon exploring the downtown and getting dinner, I came back telling everyone how it was the most pleasant part of the whole trip (1500 miles, quite a few encounters with the locals along the way). Surprised to see it on such a list.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
Since there are very few cows in close proximity to Wilmington itself - and none within the city, I'm pretty sure - this review seems to be based on ill-informed and malign opinions. There is indeed a lovely small herd of Belted Galloway cattle up in Centreville, north of Wilmington and just a couple of miles from the PA state line, and there is a small herd of Jersey cattle out in Hockessin at Woodside Farms Creamery. Otherwise the report seems confused. Likewise, I don't think you could objectively call the Christina Riverfront walk "very beautiful". It's nice, but it's no San Antonio Riverwalk. The difficulty in getting a booking at La Fia also seems exaggerated, unless you're phoning on short notice for a Saturday night. It's a stupid review and stupid ranking.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,269,868 times
Ask any Kardashian: Sometimes bad publicity is better than no publicity. Honestly - Wilmington on the same list as the Hamptons and LA! The picture looks inviting and other than the inexplicable cow comment, the rest of the text gives a pretty glowing picture. If I was with the tourist bureau, I'd see this as a net positive.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM

116 posts, read 339,270 times
lived here almost a year and a half, not a bad city really and the waterfront is growing. COws never seen one if the city metro area at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: