Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 AM

7 posts, read 25,257 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I have been reading alot about Symrna (which sounds like a beautiful area) and was wondering if anyone could give some insight on surrounding towns, too, especially Cheswold and Clayton. My husband and I are moving to the area and have no clue where to begin looking for a house that is in a safe and family oriented area. Any help you could give would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 17,419 times
Smyrna and Clayton are pretty similar to each other. Very nice, country-type setting. Cheswold is an older, very small community. A lot of homes are in the process of being renovated. Victorian-type homes but smaller than the typical Victorians. Extremely affordable too.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:55 PM

903 posts, read 3,493,568 times
In our short time in DE (since 9/1/07), I have heard a lot of good things about Smyrna and nearby towns. As I understand it, the school district is up high on the list as being a good public school system. From my experience, that is a better indicator of the area than just the neighborhoods that make up the district.

We targeted Caesar Rodney school district, and "landed" right where we wanted to be with our current rental. However, if it says anything, our landlord (who happens to have 2 pre-school age children) lives somewhere in Smyrna. He seems to be quite knowledgeable about the central part of the state... I believe he had or still has a real estate license so he has gotten around a bit.

Personally, I have been enchanted with the eastern shore since I was a little girl growing up in Va Beach. But then again, the small town lifestyle is right up my alley. So this works for our family. I do see a lot of positive things going on in most of the "burgs" all over the state. It ain't the DE of days gone by, but what place is?

Mary

Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times
Here's the link for the Smyrna/Clayton Sun Times. Maybe browsing through that will help. Welcome to Community Publications Online!

About Cheswold.....well, it's a pretty uneventful town, in my opinion. It's a very small community and the houses in town were very run down, up until about 5 years ago when they started improving. Nobles Pond to the south is the biggest thing happening, but locals are not that happy about it. The only thing I remember about Cheswold (as a local Kent Countian) was the horrible murders near there by an escaped convict, which occurred many years ago. That memory won't fade from my mind.

Delly

Last edited by rdlr; 01-02-2008 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,007,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Nobles Pond to the south is the biggest thing happening, but locals are not that happy about it.
They're not? I would think that if 800 new homes starting paying taxes to the school district and did not add any kids (so as not to add cost) that would be a welcome event.

If the average home paid $500 in school taxes (considering the 50% discount), that's an additional $400,000 of revenue every year for the district without spending a penny.

Nobles Pond residents will make a significant contribution to the tax base, more business for local merchants, and since they are seniors - no crime issues. The only down side I can see is that they will add a little more traffic - but usually not during rush hours.

Charley

Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
They're not? I would think that if 800 new homes starting paying taxes to the school district and did not add any kids (so as not to add cost) that would be a welcome event.
If the average home paid $500 in school taxes (considering the 50% discount), that's an additional $400,000 of revenue every year for the district without spending a penny.
Nobles Pond residents will make a significant contribution to the tax base, more business for local merchants, and since they are seniors - no crime issues. The only down side I can see is that they will add a little more traffic - but usually not during rush hours.
Charley
Charley......Delaware has grown by leaps and bounds, and the quality of life in Delaware has changed dramatically. You can't put a dollar amount on that, but I do understand, growth is considered progress. We have had uncontrolled growth for about 10 years, or more, and many locals are bitter about that. Making a "significant contribution to the tax base" is something locals don't want to hear. Here's a link for you to research. You will have to register to do a search, but at the top in the search box, plug in "Nobles" or "Noble". After reading all the local remarks, you will understand why there is no rejoicing about added revenue and new developments, Nobles Pond or others. Cheswold Public Issues Forum - Delaware Public Forums - Newszap Forums (http://www.newszapforums.com/forum5/ - broken link)
One blistering thread is titled "Another annexation"

Here's an example of a post from that Cheswold Forum:
"Stoneyton 150 homes on lindsbury rd 1100 homes in Saratoga Morton Rd and Lindsbury rd 1100 homes in Nobles pond ( the other sideof Morton and commerce street then 83 town homes on main st across from post office 250 homes on the east of 42 just behind the royal farm 86 town homes behind the new Super Wal-Mart that is planned . A strip mall planned on the Saratoga farm also space open for one in front of Foxpointe trailer park of which complete it's 250 homes. Then Parkers Runn has their homes complete another 250 homes. and 15 homes ( trailer park in town on the west side , 4 more trailer on and in back of commerce street. I know the town is in the growth zone but I wonder why Minner doesn't have or want a growth zone by her home ."

Last edited by rdlr; 01-03-2008 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,630,699 times
Quote:
Charley......Delaware has grown by leaps and bounds, and the quality of life in Delaware has changed dramatically. search box, plug in "Nobles" or "Noble". After reading all the local remarks, you will understand why there is no rejoicing about added revenue and new developments, Nobles Pond or others. Cheswold Public Issues Forum - Delaware Public Forums - Newszap Forums (http://www.newszapforums.com/forum5/ - broken link)
One blistering thread is titled "Another annexation"
Hi Delly,
I tried but I'm not registered. Don't have too much time right now but I will do this later.
I just can't see why the locals single out Nobles Pond when there are quite a few communities springing up.
I know there is Bon Ayre and a large community next to it.

I will check out your website later but still can't understand "why" Nobles was singled out.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Actually, Nobles Pond was not singled out. That Forum is the "Cheswold Forum" and naturally, people from Cheswold are concerned about what's going on around them. There are Forums for most communities at Newszap. You can plug in Smyrna/Clayton, Dover, Milford, etc. These blogs will give anybody a feel for reactions of a community. Lots of times, it's not pretty, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,630,699 times
Quote:
Actually, Nobles Pond was not singled out. That Forum is the "Cheswold Forum" and naturally, people from Cheswold are concerned about what's going on around them. There are Forums for most communities at Newszap. You can plug in Smyrna/Clayton, Dover, Milford, etc. These blogs will give anybody a feel for reactions of a community. Lots of times, it's not pretty, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.
Oh okay, now I understand. I do hear the locals here complaining about the growth in Magnolia and Felton. Quite a few are protesting all the new developments down this end.
In a way, I hope the curb the building because I do love the ruralness of the area.
I know it may not seem like rural to many locals but to me it sure it.
When people come out of state to visit us for the first time, they say "you are out in the middle of nowhere".

Before Seniors were flocking to Florida but with the hurricanes and high insurance rates, De is fastly becoming the new Florida.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Yes, Eliza.......seems everybody wants progress, but nobody wants "change". Being a local, I hear more negative dialog than a transplant would hear. There is constant complaining about the over-development, and approved subdivisions which should never have been approved. Right now, there is a moratorium on approving subdivisions, put in to place by Kent County Levy Court. This is the new levy court, and the others were voted out (for the most part) because the general population was not happy about all the development. It's natural that newcomers would feel that locals would be happy about the additional revenue, but that is not the case, as one can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware