Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not offended. Everyones tastes buds are different. After you've been exposed to excellent cuisine it would be normal to tend to compare. As is anything in life, there will always be lesser and greater. If you want some take out close to home on a week day, Rehobeth can't always fit into the schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I'm sorry to be so disagreeable today, but my standard is somewhat different. If it tastes good, I like it. At almost 57 years of age and 260 pounds, I'd say I've travelled and eaten my way around many different cuisines, from the elegance of the white linen restaurant to the simplicity of the street vendor. If it tastes good, I like it.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 57,403 times
I know less than nothing about authentic Mexican food, but have to say I love Border Cafe by Christiana and loathe Tolteca. Tolteca always strikes me as a bunch of stuff sloshed together with no real form, with a lot of salt thown on top. I am admittedly irrationanally picky about not eating things I can't indentify. Border Cafe has lots of options, and what I am told is great Sangria.

Perhaps it has changed ownership, because we always heard wonderful reviews but when we got Wings To Go there were awful. We get wings from Pizza Time in Dover (only delivery and carryout). Butter is yummy.

I love the Indian food in town, but I'd appreciate suggestions on Chinese in Dover. The places we've tried seem to think celery is the only vegetable in Chinese food, so we're forced to order meat-only stuff like General Tso's and sesame chicken. I've even gotten chicken with cashew nuts that used canned, SALTED cashews. I'd really like a good Kung Bao chicken.

My husband's severe cat allergies reacted violently (oceans come out of his nose) during a visit to a Chinese buffet in the region, and we've never been able to accept that the cooks must really love their pets. He doesn't react like that to anything else. Please cajole me into thinking he must have shaken hands with the wrong person and that all the buffets in town are absolutely (although not literally) kosher.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,295 times
For those north of the canal, here are my favorites:

Pizza - Ciao in Trolley Square (different owner than the other Ciao shops and he uses sweet basil in his sauce - nice guy to talk to and he remembers his customers) - people rave about Cafe Riviera too, I didn't like it as much

Cajun Influenced Mexican - Border Cafe - one of 2 in the chain resides right in NCC (the other is on Harvard Square in Boston/Cambridge) - try the Cadillac fajitas, all chicken and jambalaya for your side - you will have food to take home for $12.95

Mexican - El Tapatio, Eden Square in Bear - my father in law (deceased) was a Tejano Mexican and said the food was about as authentic as he ate when living in south Texas as a 1st generation citizen - common food without being fancy, just the way he remembered it

Pub/Casual - Klondike Kate's, Main St in Newark - portions are huge, good food, good cold beer, prices are OK for a college bar/restuarant, Sunday brunch isn't bad either

Italian - any of the Napoli restaurants are good, I used to like the Trattoria Di Napoli on Rt 40 in Bear but now am more partial to the Cucina Di Napoli in Newark on Main St. - say hello to Pasquale (who moved from Bear to Newark)

Burger - this one is a close one but I think I am going to have to give it to Five Guys in Bear - Jake's was close but Five Guys tastes a little better to me - Bacon Cheeseburger and a order of fries is truly a treat when in a junky food mood...although Jake's does have the milkshakes available in their stores, the fries put Five Guys over the top for me

Non-Authentic Mexican - this is food you get when you want a taco or burrito but know you aren't eating real Mexican - Moe's Southwest Grill

Bagels - Oolala Cafe - People's Plaza in Glasgow, DE - they have salt bagels...enough said

Bakery - my wife likes Bing's on Main St in Newark - I'm not a bakery person so much because nothing compares to Stock's poundcake, Mayfair bakery's butter cake and Haegele's George Washington spice cake and Fastnachts

Steak House / Grill - Firebirds in Christiana (in the same row that AAA moved to) - a little pricey but the food is good and cooked over a real oak fire

BBQ - haven't found too many places selling "real" BBQ but Famous Dave's in Christiana Town Center on Rt 273 does in a pinch

Breakfast any time of the day - Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans

Hoagies - Country Maid - they also have the elusive hard to find Frank's soda products (Black Cherry Wishniak anyone?)

Ice Cream - Charcoal Pit - the food isn't bad priced either but the best sundaes and shakes are found here...if you hit the one on Kirkwood, they have a bar there too

Chinese Food - used to be Happy Garden in Newark until we found hair in our food and when they announced they would be closing, the carefulness disappeared...now it is Panda Express in Fox Run

Places I wish were still around - Roadhouse Steak Joint...there used to be one in Limestone Hills and I've been in the one in Rehoboth a few times too...I think they are completely gone now

Other decent places we'll hit:
TGI Friday's in Newark - running a $5 sandwich or salad (full size) deal right now - the appetizers cost more!!

Iron Hill in Newark - fresh beer and good food (albeit a little pricey) make for a good experience

Grotto's - when you crave the junkiness of beach fries and boardwalk pizza

Red Robin - try the Royal Red Robin burger...trust me

Wawa - good for a quick hoagie and certainly better than Subway

Nino's - OK in a pinch, especially sit-down where you can generally always get a table

Washington St. Ale House in Wilmington - 20 beers on tap and good food

Chick-Fil-A - gotta love a fried chicken sandwich and waffle fries

And I am ashamed to say that I have lived in Delaware for over 7 years now and have been a frequent visitor for 11+ and have NEVER eaten at Stanley's...

That's all I can think of for now...

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
RE BBQ: there's no also a Famous Dave's on 202 in North Wilmington. I found the meat decent -- a sound B grade. The sides left something to be desired and they are just too cute. In Dover there is Pigs Fly, which I thought was decent east coast type BBQ, although the atmosphere is again excessively cute, though in a more feminine way than Famous Dave's.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM

392 posts, read 990,502 times
Default Pigs Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
RE BBQ: there's no also a Famous Dave's on 202 in North Wilmington. I found the meat decent -- a sound B grade. The sides left something to be desired and they are just too cute. In Dover there is Pigs Fly, which I thought was decent east coast type BBQ, although the atmosphere is again excessively cute, though in a more feminine way than Famous Dave's.
Is Where Pigs Fly still in business? I thought they tore down the building. Perhaps I was looking down the wrong street.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM

377 posts, read 1,114,631 times
Has anyone ever been to a Bugaboo Creek? just wondering what the reviews are?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
CaroleM, Where Pigs Fly is still in business. At least they were a few days ago when I was in Dover. Guess you must have looked the wrong way.

Mary

Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 AM

392 posts, read 990,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
CaroleM, Where Pigs Fly is still in business. At least they were a few days ago when I was in Dover. Guess you must have looked the wrong way.

Mary
ooops------What street is it on? Hubby wants to try it out and I told him it was gone...........LOL............

Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Contact info -

Where Pigs Fly Restaurant

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware