Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM

18 posts, read 73,875 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have been really, really reading past archives. I have learned a lot, still have a few questions, and just want to confirm some findings. I am hoping you folks that have done this or are considering it will be able to help me.

Hubby (DH) accepted a position in Center city Philly, we are currrently in Virginia and will be moving up that way. Right now I am leaning towards living in Delaware. Maybe below the canal?

Anyway, I understand that he will be commuting an hour to work and back. How is that drive? Does it for the most part, flow? or is it stop and start? He really doesn't mind driving (I hate it). He fires up a cigar, and puts work behind him, by the time he gets home... he is ready for home. Tell me a little about the commute if you can...

Taxes.... Now if he is working in Philly, do we pay PA taxes and philly wage tax? but not delaware tax (unless he or I earn money in DE)? As long as we only pay, I can live with... PA state tax is lower and then the wage tax added in can only equal what I already pay... and then the property taxes are lower than PA and then no sales tax... I think we come out ahead even with the commute. Am I wrong?

What haven't I asked about or thought about that I should? I have already checked schools and know to stay within a couple of districts... that is do-able.

How is shopping? How far to big box shopping like Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc... any of that around?

thanks in advance!!

movingtophillie(or not!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
We are relative newcomers to DE, but I'll chime in here. I am not familiar with exactly where Center City is, but there are regular posters that will come along to tell you better about the commute to that area.

Personally, we like central DE.. we are just south of Dover not far off Route 13. We find it very convenient, to go north or south. And while shopping in Dover is not like around Wilmington, I have had no trouble finding what we want or need. I don't work right now, so I can't comment accurately about the commute.

Your tax question is similar to ours... hubby works in NY so we will be in the same spot as you regarding filing in two states. I intend to check this issue out in the next week or so, as I have prepared our taxes myself for years. Even though we have moved several times over the last 20+ years, we've never been in this situation before. So I will be interested in the advise you receive.

What part of VA are you moving from? I am familiar with VA, so if you give a region or nearest city, we all might be able to put things more in perspective for you.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Mary

Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Mary, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it!! Center City of Philadelphia. I can mapquest it and they say an hour commute, but I was wondering if someone else does it, how is the traffic really, and how long does it really take in the morning and the evening...

I checked on taxes, and so far I am finding that you file in the state you make the money in, not just where you reside. Then you show the state you reside in your return for the area you made the money in. I just started googling each states tax sites and reading their FAQ's.

shelly

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Center City= Downtown Philadelphia, which is 22 miles from the Delaware line.

I went to Delaware in November while visiting relatives in Philly. It seemed alot cleaner and more suburban than PA.

There is a guy on YouTube that has a video of I-95 from near the DE line to Center City... doubt if it was taken in rush hour, but it might help

YouTube - I-95 North Through Philadelphia PA

Here is one picture I took in Wilmington

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/7036936/wilmington.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM

Very cool youtube video, but it was done on a Saturday morning... so hard to guage the "regular" traffic. Isn't amazing that you can find just about anything on the 'net?

movingtophillie (or somewhere close by)

Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM

249 posts, read 492,010 times
Commuting from below the canal will suck, you'll hit two sets of traffic: Wilmington and Philly. I'd say budget an hour each way to be safe. I know folks coming up to Wilmington from Smyrna and it runs them 30-45 mins a day when there are no accidents. North Wilmington is probably a better bet, Naamans Rd to 95.

OTOH, if you can swing flextime (in later, leave later) to avoid traffic, that would probably bring it back down to 35-45 mins or so.

Last edited by Tralfaz; 01-14-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: another possibility

Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM

51 posts, read 233,195 times
Depending on where you look in Del, in relation to the train lines, it might be better to take a train into CenterCity Phila than driving. I-95 and I-495 can really be a nightmare during and even off rush hour.
As for city wage tax, youn definitely pay the full freight, over 4% no matter where you live. How Del will treat that, you would have to check with them. City tax is considered a local income tax and SHOULD be appliccable to you Del local tax, but check to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware