Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM

17 posts, read 93,049 times

Advertisements

I would like information on Milford, DE. Hoping to retire in 5 years. Milford seems to be close enough to and yet far enough away from the shore and Dover to be of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:30 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,674 times
I believe if you do a search, you will find some postings on Milford here in the forum. If you don't find information you are seeking, please be a bit more specific in your inquiry and you should get some more replies.

What I have seen of Milford, it appears to be a quaint DE town. And you are right about the location; rather convenient to the shore yet easily accessible to Dover and points north.

Mary

Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,476 times
I live in Milford. We moved here from the Northern VA/DC area. Milford doesn't get the traffic the beach area does and it's reasonably priced as far as housing. Unfortunately, in this area (including the beach) there are very few decent restaurants. So I drive back to DC every month or so to eat really good food!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Thank you for responding. I did do a search on Milford, but not too much information came back. I am hoping to get more responses as I think of appropriate questions to ask. My wife and I plan to make a weekend trip to Milford and the surrounding area to see how we like it. We live in an area where you have to decide which Home Depot or Wal-Mart you want to go to. I know that Milford is a bit more rural and that is fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM

The area we live in has so many restaurants to chose from that choosing one is like choosing your food from a large menu. Are there good restaurants in Dover that would be a short driving distance from Milford?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cir45 View Post
The area we live in has so many restaurants to chose from that choosing one is like choosing your food from a large menu. Are there good restaurants in Dover that would be a short driving distance from Milford?
Oh yes there sure are!

Two of my favorites are "Where Pigs Fly" and "The Countrie Eaterie" ... and there are the usual suspects that you'll find in many towns such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Pizzarena Uno, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Golden Corral, TGIF, Bob Evans and many more.

There is also Michelle's - an upscale restaurant in Dover Downs. Dover Downs also has a buffet, but from what I hear, the new buffet at the Harrington Slots (south of Dover) is even better.

Charley

Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Does summer traffic have much effect on Milford?
Are there good biking and or kayaking areas there?
Are there Amish/Mennonite communities nearby?
What is the reputation of the hospital?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cir45 View Post
Does summer traffic have much effect on Milford?
Are there good biking and or kayaking areas there?
Are there Amish/Mennonite communities nearby?
What is the reputation of the hospital?
Hi All,
I live in Magnolia which is not far from Milford. I believe this is where the Victorian tea house is located. Excellent place to go for English flavor.
Most of the communities around here are small communities and most all have lakes. I know a lot of people that have boats and go out boating in the summer on all the lakes. They tell me they have a ball and love this sport.
The amish community I know is in West Dover which is about 20 mins north of Milford.
We have not had first hand experience with the hospitals but feel there are good and bad anywhere you go.
Main thing is to get a good family doctor you trust you life too and you should be fine.
Many people in my community are, as Mary put it , transplants. We are mostly northeast people from surrounding states.
My hub and I are from PA.
There are parks around where they is good biking and hiking trails.
Cape Henelopen is great for this and it's about 30 mins south of Milford.
My daughter visit us from Maine and she loves this place.
The beach is great in the summer too.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llatorre View Post
I live in Milford. We moved here from the Northern VA/DC area. Milford doesn't get the traffic the beach area does and it's reasonably priced as far as housing. Unfortunately, in this area (including the beach) there are very few decent restaurants. So I drive back to DC every month or so to eat really good food!
I forgot to mention in my other post about traffic but you said it all.
Traffic in this part is not bad at all in the summer but the further south you go toward lewes and Rehobeth it is a nightmare.
We usually ride down the beach on off season when it is less crowded.
As far as restaurants.........depends on what you are looking for.
we are new to the area but have found some good eating.
Where Pigs fly, Countrie eatery, and the Buffet at Midway slots.
When to The buffet last night and it was amazing. The food you get for $13 , you can't beleive. Shrimp, steak, chinese, seafood, chicken, salads and last but not least the desserts.
We have also hear the Villiage inn is a nice place to eat but have not tried that yet.
I know Milford had the Victorian Lady Tea house which is my next stop.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Oh yes there sure are!

Two of my favorites are "Where Pigs Fly" and "The Countrie Eaterie" ... and there are the usual suspects that you'll find in many towns such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Pizzarena Uno, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Golden Corral, TGIF, Bob Evans and many more.

There is also Michelle's - an upscale restaurant in Dover Downs. Dover Downs also has a buffet, but from what I hear, the new buffet at the Harrington Slots (south of Dover) is even better.

Charley
Went to the buffet last night night Charley and it was Excellent.
Also, there is Bonz in Midway which is fine dinning. Expensive but excellent if you are in the mood for fine dinning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware