Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times

Advertisements

Gray wave reshapes state as new arrivals, residents age

Interesting article in the News Journal about the impact of older people moving into the state, particularly Sussex County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Gray wave reshapes state as new arrivals, residents age

Interesting article in the News Journal about the impact of older people moving into the state, particularly Sussex County.
Yes, I've watched this happen since 1945, when I was 5 years old. My parents' mom-pop store was located on 2 lane - Route 13 south of Odessa. I remember learning math by counting all the cars with out-of-state license plates passing our store. Later, figuring percentages of Delaware car tags vs. out of state car tags.

It's a shame Delaware can't attract smart, young people who will pay their full share of property taxes, start their families, bring innovative ideas, and boost the economy. Marked as an "old" state is not a good thing, in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
I agree, rdlr. Marketing Delaware as an "old" state probably isn't the best idea.

I am surrounded by people who are 60+ in my neighborhood--both weekenders and full-time residents from northern states. We are the only ones in my development now (60+homes) who are born and raised Delawareans. My husband and I are two (early) middle-aged empty nesters; therefore, we don't really fall in the "young" or "old" category . Having older neighbors is actually a good thing for me because my neighbors are not loud and they want peace and quiet just like I do. We have only three homes in here where school-aged children reside.

Younger families aren't attracted to Sussex as much as Kent or New Castle because the county is lacking in jobs and decent pay. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Younger families aren't attracted to Sussex as much as Kent or New Castle because the county is lacking in jobs and decent pay. I don't see this changing anytime soon.
Good Morning, Liz - I haven't looked at the stats lately, but here in Kent County, Delaware we are overrun with 55+ communities, and developers hawking - Come Here and Retire in Low Cost Delaware. A lot of things need to change here, so we can attract young people. They don't want to be here because there are no jobs, either blue collar or white collar, and from what I've heard, they don't want to raise their families in a state catering mostly to retirees.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Yes, I've watched this happen since 1945, when I was 5 years old. My parents' mom-pop store was located on 2 lane - Route 13 south of Odessa. I remember learning math by counting all the cars with out-of-state license plates passing our store. Later, figuring percentages of Delaware car tags vs. out of state car tags.

It's a shame Delaware can't attract smart, young people who will pay their full share of property taxes, start their families, bring innovative ideas, and boost the economy. Marked as an "old" state is not a good thing, in my opinion.
What do you mean by pay their fair share of property taxes?

The retirees usually purchase a home and pay taxes, but they have no kids and therefore do not use take from the local tax base.

Schools cost around 60% of the state and local budget, police is another 20%.

Do you think retirees will cost the state of DE in some other way?

Retirees choosing to spend their last days in the state is a tax godsend not a burden. I hope people realize this!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

The retirees usually purchase a home and pay taxes, but they have no kids and therefore do not use take from the local tax base.
Here in Sussex County seniors do qualify for a tax break.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Here in Sussex County seniors do qualify for a tax break.
Really what is the tax break?

Is it 60%?

Can you offer any way in which retirees cost the state money?

As of 2011 public school in Delaware cost around $12,700 per pupil

Education Spending Per Student by State

Are you saying a family of 4 which cost the taxpayers $26,000 a year is less of a burden then two old people.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Really what is the tax break?

Is it 60%?

Can you offer any way in which retirees cost the state money?

As of 2011 public school in Delaware cost around $12,700 per pupil

Education Spending Per Student by State

Are you saying a family of 4 which cost the taxpayers $26,000 a year is less of a burden then two old people.
No it is not 60%. Sorry this grumpy old Sussex Countian is not going to dig out his Tax Bill to get you the exact figures. I personally like the retirees and 2nd home folks who pay taxes and send no kids to our schools.
A Delaware student would know that based on your figures of $12,700 the cost for 2 students would be $25,400 not $26,000.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Schools cost around 60% of the state and local budget, police is another 20%.

Do you think retirees will cost the state of DE in some other way?

Retirees choosing to spend their last days in the state is a tax godsend not a burden. I hope people realize this!
I didn't say "burden". Please note I did not use that word in my post. That's your description. Here's the link, stating the school tax break seniors are eligible for:
Senior School Property Tax Relief
Income requirement is not a factor to receive this tax break. Law stipulates 50% of your school tax bill, up to $500.00.

Those not seniors, pay 100% of their school tax bill, whether they have children in public schools or not. I think most people realize that we need young, productive citizens, to grow our economy. It appears our Governor is working on this: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...294168581.html

And, Yes, I receive the 50% school tax credit.....Not that I've been waiting around for that in Delaware since 1940.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-14-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 PM

374 posts, read 517,589 times
This is a good, thought-provoking, and well balanced article...kudos to Jeff Montgomery and The News Journal.

Every state has strengths and weaknesses. At this point in time, Delaware's (or more specifically Sussex County's) greatest strengths appeal greatly to Boomers, not so much to younger folks.

To attract people starting or early in their careers (i.e., Millennials, folks in their 20's and early 30's) you need to provide a lifestyle (and that includes jobs) that is attractive to them.

Some of the key lifestyle elements Millennials generally prefer are urban areas with white collar job opportunities; lots of cool (not chain) bars, restaurants, and other venues to socialize; and a strong mass transit system so they don't need cars. Unlike Boomers, who couldn't wait to turn 16 so they could get a license and a car so they could "cruise" places to socialize, Millennials tend to not care much for cars - they came of age connecting with their friends through social media. Why get in a car and drive somewhere to meet when you can simply use Facebook, Vine, Pinterest, SnapChat, and most importantly text messaging and tweeting to instantly communicate? I mean, if you really need to see someone face-to-face, that's why God created Skype and FaceTime.

Boomers (now aged 51-69...my people!) grew up with cars. We generally don't give a second thought to jumping in a car and driving to a grocery store a few times a week, to a movie, or to a mall to buy clothes or electronics.

My Millennial kids think this is very old fashioned when they can live in an urban area and walk or take public transportation to a grocery store (preferably Trader Joe's); get their clothes and electronics delivered free to their door from Amazon; and buy their shoes from Zappos (with free return shipping, so go ahead and order three sizes of the same pair of shoes - you just ship back the ones that don't fit!). And why drive to a movie theater when you can stream Netflix to your TV, tablet or phone? As far as work, a short drive may be tolerable but walking, biking, or public transit is far better.

So when it comes to a place to retire, Sussex County fits my preferred Boomer lifestyle like a glove. I love to drive, so it is plenty close to the beach, grocery stores, medical facilities, and outlet stores. Its agricultural history translates to quiet residential areas with low crime and lots of newer housing from which to choose. I love the quality and quantity of restaurants, both small independents and large chains, supported by the well-heeled tourists. And it's only a short 2 hour drive to big cities like D.C., Philadelphia, and Baltimore when I want to see professional sports, world-class museums or theater, or to fly anywhere else in the world my heart desires. Boomer Heaven!

And don't forget, we Boomers still control most of the wealth and disposable spending in this country, so Delaware is lucky in that respect to have us!

But for those who have to worry about the future of Sussex County, including government planners, the thought of what it might be 20 years from now when we Boomers will be 71-89 and more interested in public transit to accessible medical care than driving to NYC for a Broadway show, it's a real concern. And by then the spending power will have shifted to the Millennials who will be in their 40's, in the midst of their careers.

So we all understand why it would be great to attract Millennials now to this area. But a lot of what they want (especially white collar, career-oriented jobs) aren't here now. If a sea change happens, say Google or Apple builds a development center, all the other stuff these folks want will follow. But without it, making this an attractive destination for folks starting their careers is a real challenge. I hope many of us can work together and with government to build creative solutions to this issue, but we have to be realistic and realize it will be far from easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware