Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM

12 posts, read 8,267 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I are new to the Dover area and just LOVE our new community. The people that we have met have been so nice and welcoming and the even the salespeople in the stores, the post office, library etc have all been super helpful. The only thing I haven't been able to get any help with is the mosquitoes and I was wondering if anyone out there who has been in the area while has any ideas beyond the usual. Lets put it this way, I bought those citronella bands and wear one on each ankle and wrist, long pants and spray with either Off or Avon Skintastic and still can't go out without getting a minimum of 8-10 bites at a time. I am at my wits end. We have our dream retirement home in a small little community and I can't go outside to enjoy it unless suffer for it later!! If anyone out there has ANY suggestions I would really, really appreciate them.
PS I don't know if the fact that hubby can go out in shorts and tee shirt no spray and no bites makes it better or worse.

Thanks in advance for any advice....even a target date when to expect the mosquitoes to be a little less abundant would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM

153 posts, read 320,719 times
Sorry to hear about the bites. I got bitten several times myself this weekend.

I've heard that having strong B12 may help. Another thing that may help is if you have ponds in your community, ask if there are mosquito fish in them.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:09 PM

9,755 posts, read 14,328,133 times
Where do you live? near a retention pond? or, on the east side of Rt. 13?
We live in Wyoming and enjoy our front porch all summer long. The back yard is a different story, because we have huge, old walnut trees and lots of shade. There are some mosquitoes out there in the evening.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,312,558 times
You could try:

Mosquitno

Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM

We are in the Planters Run community right by Dover Air Force Base. Yes there is a large pond for fishing in the middle of the community so I will ask if they stock any fish that would eat and kill the mosquitoes. Thanks for the suggestion! Our back yard does have a lot of trees (which is one of the reasons we bought the property) so they are staying. We come from a lake community in North Jersey so are used to mosquitoes but these I am up against now seem to be much more aggressive!!! I guess I was just hoping someone had a suggestion as to how I could personally keep them off of ME not really out of the area. I never really had a problem before just using Off something of that nature when hiking in the state parks etc but these don't seem to be helping at all. Thanks for responding!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,093,568 times
Suggestions:

Use non-scented everything, shampoo, soap, deodorant, lotion, etc., not to mention, no cologne.
Take a strong Vitamin B-Complex. They seem repelled by it.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys, you may be onto something. I was taking a B complex vitamin for quite a few years and just stopped a few months ago. Maybe that is why they are so "interested" now. I am definitely going back on them. Hopefully that will help. Again, thanks for the help, I really appreciate your input. As I said, we have run into nothing but nice people!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM

9,755 posts, read 14,328,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHJH View Post
We are in the Planters Run community right by Dover Air Force Base. Yes there is a large pond for fishing in the middle of the community so I will ask if they stock any fish that would eat and kill the mosquitoes. Thanks for the suggestion! Our back yard does have a lot of trees (which is one of the reasons we bought the property) so they are staying. We come from a lake community in North Jersey so are used to mosquitoes but these I am up against now seem to be much more aggressive!!! I guess I was just hoping someone had a suggestion as to how I could personally keep them off of ME not really out of the area. I never really had a problem before just using Off something of that nature when hiking in the state parks etc but these don't seem to be helping at all. Thanks for responding!
The St. Jones River is extremely close to you, a mosquito haven. About 10 years ago when we had a heavier mosquito problem, we had a huge back yard party and we bought a fogger from Lowes. We don't have any pets or small children to worry about, so that worked for us. I think we used it 3 times, and haven't needed it since. Sorry you're having that problem. I really think the location has a lot to do with it. We sat out on the front porch this evening, with no problem.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Yep, the skeeters like me too. However, the feeling is not mutual. We get them pretty bad in our backyard due to the entire hedge perimeter of Leland cypress tees. There's no way we're getting rid of the trees though. We like our privacy and we also have a nosy neighbor next door.

My husband calls mosquito control when they get unbearable--the mosquitoes, that is. Quick response too--they were out the next night spraying our development and even pulled into our backyard with the fogger going full blast and let 'er rip! Here is info if you are ever interested in contacting them:

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/mos...s/default.aspx

Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 PM

319 posts, read 506,992 times
Have you tried garlic spray and eating garlic? seriously, garlic will repel mosquitos!

Nutrition Diva : What to Eat to Avoid Mosquito Bites :: Quick and Dirty Tips

The side benefit is that you might also fall victim to the urge
to eat italian food.

Also some changes to diet can have an effect on a mosquito's ability to "smell" you.

Admittedly, I don't know how dramatic the effect will be.

You could, at the end of the day, make good friends with the 10% of the population
that are, so called, mosquito magnets, but don't tell them why they are always invited to
your yard parties ;-)

In all seriousness, it appears products with Deet are the most effective.

Personally, I've found those Therma cell lanterns to be fantastic. They only get
about 10-15 feet of coverage; perfect for sitting on the deck.

PS: How are people doing the winking smiley face emoticons on a Mac OS in the Safari web-browser? Plain old ASCII text is not working for me :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: