Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 19,151 times

Advertisements

Search for a building estimate calculator, and answer all the questions, at the end it breaks down all the costs involved. Remember, it is just an estimate but it will give you an idea of everything to consider in building a new home. Is not cheap, and you better do it right the first time and keep in mind all the codes. Also landscaping. Personally I'd much rather take my money and put it into a well built older home where the mechanicals/roof ect. can be replaced and renovate any ugly kitchen or bathroom. Be assured, Cheap built houses DO NOT AGE WELL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 19,151 times
Permits also expire so if you don't have work completed, you apply for new permit.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,846 times
If you are looking for a 200K house I suggest you look at planned developments in your areas of interest. In a planned development just about everything will be handled by the builder/developer. Lots of nice choices available depending on lifestyle desires.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,532,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
If you are looking for a 200K house I suggest you look at planned developments in your areas of interest. In a planned development just about everything will be handled by the builder/developer. Lots of nice choices available depending on lifestyle desires.
No no no, I want to stay away from that cheap and ugly vinyl. They can't build well in Delaware. In Texas with much warmer climate we have a lot more brick houses.
So that's why I want to buy own land and build what I really want. And eventually it can be even cheaper than those copy-pasted vinyl/cardboard houses in modern planned communities (with zero land).

Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM

9,730 posts, read 14,282,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
No no no, I want to stay away from that cheap and ugly vinyl. They can't build well in Delaware. In Texas with much warmer climate we have a lot more brick houses.
So that's why I want to buy own land and build what I really want. And eventually it can be even cheaper than those copy-pasted vinyl/cardboard houses in modern planned communities (with zero land).

Everyone has a different viewpoint, which is what makes the world go round. We built 3 new homes in our lifetime, and for 2 of them were our own General Contractor. They were nice, one with all brick exterior, one on 160 acres of land, and all were great places to raise the kids. We shook our old Cutlass Supreme and Ford truck to pieces riding back and forth on bumpy roads taking the kids to drama club, baseball, football, cheerleading, band, and every school event offered. Now, we're much older, the kids are gone, and we've ended up in a 3 story German Sided house in a small town, with wood flooring, plaster walls, and Yes old windows. We've been in this house over 33 years. I might add, now we're 1/2 block from the school. Life is fun, and some of us do things backwards!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 AM

Does anyone know about the cost of new septic system installation (1000 gal regular tank) and new water well in Delaware?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know about the cost of new septic system installation (1000 gal regular tank) and new water well in Delaware?
It's been our experience that the cost is determined by whatever type system DNREC will approve for a particular lot, or land. Cost of well is determined by how deep of a well is needed, based on drainage and soil content, i.e. sassafras, fallsington, etc.
In other words, DNREC is the boss.
http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/wr/Inf...%20Septics.pdf

Old 01-21-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
It's been our experience that the cost is determined by whatever type system DNREC will approve for a particular lot, or land. Cost of well is determined by how deep of a well is needed, based on drainage and soil content, i.e. sassafras, fallsington, etc.
I know...but DE is a small state and probably numbers for different lots won't differ much.

Some DE website says about 3-5K range for the septic.

Water well: probably $50/ft. How deep are water wells normally in DE?

And let's make it simpler: will 20K budget be enough for both new septic and water well?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I know...but DE is a small state and probably numbers for different lots won't differ much.

Some DE website says about 3-5K range for the septic.

Water well: probably $50/ft. How deep are normally water wells in DE?

And let's make it simpler: will 20K budget be enough for both new septic and water well?

Wells and septic systems are part of my daily business routine. I see all kinds. I saw a mound system last month that cost over $30,000. It depends on what DNREC will approve, where your lot is, what your water table is, what your soil content is, how big of a house you're building, etc. I couldn't begin to estimate not knowing the features of a particular lot in a particular area, and then, DNREC's approval is the bottom line.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Wells and septic systems are part of my daily business routine. I see all kinds. I saw a mound system last month that cost over $30,000. It depends on what DNREC will approve, where your lot is, what your water table is, what your soil content is, how big of a house you're building, etc. I couldn't begin to estimate not knowing the features of a particular lot in a particular area, and then, DNREC's approval is the bottom line.
But how to know this before buying a land?

For example, we have two lots. 1 acre for 50K and another 1 acre for 55K.
So 1st lot looks as a better deal, but eventually we find out that septic on this lot costs 15K instead of 6K on another lot. But how to figure this out in advance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware