Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 AM

9,721 posts, read 14,259,318 times

Advertisements

I hesitated to start a new thread on this topic, but it doesn't seem to fit into separate town threads regarding crime. And, I didn't want this to be deleted for not staying on topic. So, here's a news item for you, and for ME, a local having been here in Delaware forever. This, to me, dispels the notion that Delaware's crime statistics are blown out of proportion, because of the small size of our State. The article states, sadly, Delaware is like any other state (or worse) in regard to crime. Click here for the article which appeared in the News-Journal, a Delaware newspaper
delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ Biden asks for more money to fight crime FBI says Del. 7th most violent state in U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM

23 posts, read 124,478 times
Thanks Delly, that was very interesting. I don't know for sure what to make of it, but it is interesting.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 PM

You're welcome, Angie......
That little announcement has surprised many of us ...........When doing a Google search, Delaware is not listed as #7 for violent crime, but is about half way down the list of states. I guess our Attorney General ought to have the correct stats, though, before making such a statement!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:29 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,383 times
I take numbers with a grain of salt.Delaware is a very small state.When you take the state as a whole,of course it will rank high in violent crime.The bad areas make that rank higher.If you take out certain parts of New castle county, i am sure it would be at the bottom. Since Delaware is so small,theres no room to absorb the crime from the bad areas

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Well, I take this new information very seriously. As a tax payer, it affects my pocketbook, and as a citizen it affects the safety of my family and I.There is a lot of money being appropriated for crime, and evidently the stats are real. Granted the Wilmington area is the worse because of close proximity to Philadelphia. But Baltimore isn't that far from mid-lower Kent and Sussex County. I'm concerned.

"Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden asked lawmakers Thursday for nearly $2 million more than Gov. Ruth Ann Minner proposed for next year to hire more lawyers and support staff needed to alter Delaware's FBI ranking as the seventh most violent state in the nation." - News-Journal

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 AM

271 posts, read 995,460 times
Delly,

As a 30 year resident of Dover, I must say that this surprised me. On the other hand, I have to remind myself (and this has figured in one of my recent posts) that there are quite a few areas in Dover where I wouldn't walk (or drive) after sundown.
In our neighborhood though, I know of only a few minor crimes, over several decades.

After reading this article, I have to wonder if this is, indeed, one of those areas (crime) where this state has suffered because of low taxes. Only a question. But sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Annie

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Could be, Annie.

And if this information hadn't come from the Attorney General, I may have brushed it off.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,173 times
I found something very interesting, its a New Castle County Crime Reporting Map. It shows crime trends in different neigborhoods, you put in an address and it will map where in burglaries, homicides, rapes, etc happened in that area. It's an excellent tool when shopping for a house! But very scarey! Coming from a very low crime area, I don't know if I'm ready for this.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,173 times
oops forgot to post the website Geo NCC Locations (http://www.nccde.org/sqlcrime.asp - broken link)

Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM

That's great, Laural!! Thank you!

I was working up in North Wilmington last weekend, and noticed a few memorials within a 6 block radius. Memorials, I'm speaking of are, the teddy bears/balloons where someone was killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware