Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM

374 posts, read 517,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I know too much about Delaware, and I talk too much. Some day, I'll learn to shut up.
Don't ever stop talking to us! You are one of the folks that make the Delaware blog interesting. The rich information and background you provide about Delaware past and present is always appreciated.

And sometimes I even agree with your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I have said this before and will happily say it again and again. Without the advice of RDLR among others on CD my journey to land here in this wonderful place would not have been as smooth. The advice of RDLR, Beach Liz, Longnecker, Gone-2-Beach to just name a few helped me with so many of the "gee, I never thought of that" things that come with moving to a new area, especially without knowing a soul. It was their help then and even now, that makes me want to share some of my experiences in making the big move. If, I can be as helpful to anyone as they were to me, then I have to say thanks to them, for they led me here.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have said this before and will happily say it again and again. Without the advice of RDLR among others on CD my journey to land here in this wonderful place would not have been as smooth. The advice of RDLR, Beach Liz, Longnecker, Gone-2-Beach to just name a few helped me with so many of the "gee, I never thought of that" things that come with moving to a new area, especially without knowing a soul. It was their help then and even now, that makes me want to share some of my experiences in making the big move. If, I can be as helpful to anyone as they were to me, then I have to say thanks to them, for they led me here.
I have to add you to that list too.

All of you have been incredibly helpful, patient, and understanding in dealing with all my questions and concerns and in answering them. Thank you all for that.

At first my husband completely rejected De. as an area to move to once his retirement officially kicks in but he's also read these threads and now he's on board with moving to De.

So, pretty soon you guys will have new transplants.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Don't ever stop talking to us! You are one of the folks that make the Delaware blog interesting. The rich information and background you provide about Delaware past and present is always appreciated.

And sometimes I even agree with your opinions!
Thank you! Glad I can keep your blood pressure from dipping too low! Not good!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks Nuts! (fondly) I enjoy talking and sharing, as do BeachLiz, and Longnecker. One reason is because we're proud of Delaware, the other is........to try and correct some of the "fake news" out there. Glad you're here! As for Gone-2-Beach, he didn't Go to the Beach. He went to a 55+ in a rural community near Magnolia, and hasn't been heard of since.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 AM

I must add that once we were serious about looking here, I already had done enough homework that as a Northerner, I knew the difference between

Newark,as in NJ and New-ARK as in De
Lewes as in Lou-is and Lose
Hockessin in De as opposed to (too many variables)

Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
I must add that once we were serious about looking here, I already had done enough homework that as a Northerner, I knew the difference between

Me too! I even correct family members when they pronounce Lewes as Lose.

Hockessin.... I've never heard of that.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:

There's More!

Smyrna is not Smeerna, it's Smirna
Little Creek is Lil' Crik
Leipsic is not LIPEsic, it's Lip-sic
Houston is not like Texas, it's Houseton
Townsend is not Townsin, it's TownsEnd
No such thing as Camden-Wyoming. That's a street connecting 2 towns - Camden-Wyoming Avenue. Camden is a town, and Wyoming is a town
We don't skin opossum, we skin 'possims
For any others, besides those here knowing better...the spelling is REHOBOTH, not RehoBETH
And for anyone asking again, YES, We are a CHICKEN STATE with chicken houses and manure. That's our livelihood.
And One More Time: We don't have a shore, we have The Beach!

Having all that out of the way, carry on........

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
There's More!

Smyrna is not Smeerna, it's Smirna
Little Creek is Lil' Crik
Leipsic is not LIPEsic, it's Lip-sic
Houston is not like Texas, it's Houseton
Townsend is not Townsin, it's TownsEnd
No such thing as Camden-Wyoming. That's a street connecting 2 towns - Camden-Wyoming Avenue. Camden is a town, and Wyoming is a town
We don't skin opossum, we skin 'possims
For any others, besides those here knowing better...the spelling is REHOBOTH, not RehoBETH
And for anyone asking again, YES, We are a CHICKEN STATE with chicken houses and manure. That's our livelihood.
And One More Time: We don't have a shore, we have The Beach!

Having all that out of the way, carry on........
Funny story, whenever there is a new person beginning a job on Wall Street, invariably they will encounter a company whose name like Lewes, they will massacre. And that company was originally started by two french brothers, and the company name is Schlumberger. The rookie will inevitably announce Schlum-berger, when in actuality it is said SchlumbergeA. It always evokes a big laugh, but we all learn somehow!!!

Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
Default Find a good Realtor like myself

Most Realtors know the area well, the inventory, and will take time to assess the needs you have. But it is always a good idea to come take a look. Nothing wrong with spending a few days on our beaches, dining at our Restaurants and sampling the culture to fall in love love with our Southern Beaches. My first contact with Buyers is a short evaluation and then a .50 cent tour of the area. I think it is always a good idea to get a copy of the local paper, Cape Gazette or Beachcomber. I will send you one for free...just ask. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware