Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM

16 posts, read 102,677 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I found some models online that I like at Jonathan's Landing, and was wondering if anyone lives there who could answer some questions.....

Is it fee simple or land lease? What is monthly fee?

Is there lots of noise since it's close to Dover AFB (I did yahoomaps and it appears to only be about 8 miles away)?

Your opinion on the community?

I'm planning to take a trip sometime in the Spring to start looking.....

Thank you!

Lynne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw130734 View Post
Hi,

I found some models online that I like at Jonathan's Landing, and was wondering if anyone lives there who could answer some questions.....

Is it fee simple or land lease? What is monthly fee?

Is there lots of noise since it's close to Dover AFB (I did yahoomaps and it appears to only be about 8 miles away)?

Your opinion on the community?

I'm planning to take a trip sometime in the Spring to start looking.....

Thank you!

Lynne
Are you talking about the 55+ community, Champions club or the large single family homes?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Hi Elizamary!

Sorry I should have clarified..... I was looking at the Americana Series at the 55+ Champions Club.

I have been reading so many of the posts, and you are certainly a wealth of information. You live in Magnolia, correct?

Thank you!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw130734 View Post
Hi Elizamary!

Sorry I should have clarified..... I was looking at the Americana Series at the 55+ Champions Club.

I have been reading so many of the posts, and you are certainly a wealth of information. You live in Magnolia, correct?

Thank you!
Hi and yes I live in Magnolia not far from Champions Club.

We are here in Magnolia a year now and have NO regrets. Of course, you need a car cuz not much is in walking distance. I really don't know too much about Champions club as far as fee simple and all that. Have you visited? If not then you should try and get over. I do know the homes are McKee builders and they are nice homes. McKee has a pretty good rep.

If you haven't visited, you really should so you can get a feel for the neighborhood. I would describe it as ruralish, quaint and quiet.
Dover AFB has not bothered us one bit. I forget it is there.
The climate in Magnolia is pretty mild compared to the rest of the country.

We are 35 minutes from the beaches which we enjoy. Dover is only about 10 min. north of us with just about every store and restaurant imaginable. Dover Mall has Boscov's, Macy's, Sears and Penny's.
The Amish country is not far and it is so peaceful and quaint.

I'm trying to think of something else. Is there anything else you want to know. Champions club has nice homes but not sure how much they cost or what the monthly fee would be.
Let me know if there is anything else you need to know. If I can find out for you, I will.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
Another regular poster, from PA, lives in or near Jonathan's Landing. I believe they have been in DE about 2 years now, if my memory serves me correctly. I also have other friends that live east of Route 13, which as you know is closer to DAFB and the potential noise from the base air traffic.

We have lived in Camden-Wyoming for a little over 6 months now, and see the planes almost daily. To me, the noise was very easy to get used to because of the types of planes that fly out of DAFB. Even when they are exercising, its not much to be concerned over. But then again, I grew up in Va Beach, where the F-14's are always flying in and out of because of the USN base there! Now that is some noise that you never get used to! Or at least I never did, and I'm almost 1/2 century old!

Don't know much about Champions Club, as we are not quite yet in the market for 55+ communities. But in cruising around the general Jonathan's Landing area, I will say it is quite nice! And as elizamary said, very convenient to Dover, which has a great selection of retail, restaurants, etc. to satisfy most folks.

As has been said before, it all depends on where you are coming from, as to how any area in DE compares. And, more importantly, how convenient you want the BIG retail/store selection... you may have to go further toward Wilmington if you are more "city" folk. Dover is more an oversized town, or rather small city, in my opinion. Not that its a bad thing... in fact, we prefer it that way.

Mary

Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Elizamary and MaryCH, thank you both for the info. I'm going to check my work schedule and take some vacation time soon and spend some time looking in Delaware.

Thanks again!

Lynne

Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Hello lcw !!!
You've received some good information. PA (poster) has had a computer crash. Her house is just across the field from that new 55+ community, and she should be back here in a couple of days to answer your questions.

Regarding airplane noise, Dover is an Air Force town. Planes are not permitted to fly over the City of Dover, or the small towns neighboring Dover. But Magnolia is located in Dover Air Force Base's designated flight path, and descending and ascending planes travel through there.Those living there are accustomed to the air planes, and as they said, are not bothered by them. In fact, Magnolia is one of the biggest designated growth zones in Kent County, which proves nobody cares about the airplanes. In some Magnolia subdivisions there is a clause in their deeds, or in the subdivision plan, saying that the developer is not responsible for 'falling parts from planes flying overhead'. I've never heard of any falling parts, and think that's just a disclaimer and some fancy lawyer's bright idea. At any rate, Magnolia (touting they are The Center of the Universe) is a very nice little town, with lots of development around it.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 AM

271 posts, read 995,258 times
I have to disagree just a little regarding the proximity of DAFB. First let me say that I've had several wonderful Air Force friends, and that the worst thing about the base has been losing these friends. They get moved!

At the very beginning of our 30+ years in Dover, we lived east of Route 13 and were very bothered by the C5's. This is one of the remarks I've heard repeated again and again during all these decades! A number of us non-native but long time residents of Dover seem to have similar complaints, as well as plenty of good things to say about the area. During the many years we've lived in north Dover, we've been far less bothered, though they do on occasion pass overhead, loudly.

If I were moving, I'd want to spend plenty of time in the chosen area and ask lots of questions.

The fields around Magnolia are lovely, and though I've never visited Jonathan's Landing, I've looked down that road and it's very inviting.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Hi Annie,
Yep, everybody has an opinion. In my line of work, I see it all, hear it all, and move on. Many actually seek out areas so they can actually HEAR and SEE the DAFB planes, while others avoid those areas. The flight path, as you know, is over Kitts Hummock/Pickering Beach/Delaware Bay, Magnolia, and Frederica. And, Magnolia, as per the Kent County Comprehensive Plan, is a designated high growth zone, with much more growth approved. I work with these maps on a daily basis and Magnolia, in short order, will not be "quaint". And, you are right. Many newcomers have no clue about the flight path.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks again for your comments. I look forward to visiting and starting my search.

Could you recommend hotels in the area?

Lynne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware