Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM

70 posts, read 100,470 times

Advertisements

Let me try this a more positive way...
is there an area in New Castle where people are houses have a non-rural tighter pattern (have sidewalks, can walk around neighborhood, see neighbors, walk to parks and stores), but people are still fine with vegetable gardens (maybe even chickens), hanging laundry outside, having a bbq, etc...? Is the Nottingham Green area near Downes like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM

310 posts, read 778,730 times
For the most part, in NCC, if you have sidewalks, you don't have chickens. The houses are to close together and it kinda pisses off your neighbors. In NCC, there are a lot of developments so you have sidewalks, bbq's, gardens, etc. Most houses have between 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots. In fact, if you do a google earth of NCC, it looks like 1 big development with a couple of cities wedged in .

Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
For the most part, in NCC, if you have sidewalks, you don't have chickens. The houses are to close together and it kinda pisses off your neighbors. In NCC, there are a lot of developments so you have sidewalks, bbq's, gardens, etc. Most houses have between 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots. In fact, if you do a google earth of NCC, it looks like 1 big development with a couple of cities wedged in .
My apologies, but I didn't really understand what "In NCC, there are a lot of developments so you have sidewalks, bbq's, gardens, etc." meant. Does that mean you can have things like vegetable gardens in most developments, because that's not what I was seeing so far.

I don't know that I will actually have chickens, but things like chickens and such as just a barometer of what people think are nuisances. In other areas I've totally been in multiple neighborhoods with sidewalks and <1/4 acre lots that allow chickens (as long as you don't have a rooster!). I actually have never lived in a place with >0.25 acre lot (or a place that defined most of the lots by "acres" in general). I've never personally had them, but I've had neighbors have them, raise bees, etc...

It's also interesting the different perceptions people have. I find Delaware to be much more spaced out than I expected. Developments tend to be splotched randomly here or there, with no real connection to each other. But this allows a lot of natural parks to be easily accessible as well.

Last edited by Icarus7; 06-09-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
That's what I think it meant. I've never live in a neighborhood which restricted grills or vegetable gardens--other than not putting them in the front yard.

I don't know about DE, but some towns allow 2 chickens if they are considered pets.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:17 PM

13,061 posts, read 18,157,821 times
Simply put you want a non HOA community in NCC that has neighborhood feel. IF there is no HOA you can park your boat or your car up on blocks and have a hanging clothes line and chickens. The only caveat to that would be the rules of NCC.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:26 AM

9,732 posts, read 14,286,897 times
Yes, there are many laid back areas, that are not junkie locations, and are walkable. In fact, Delaware is a "rural" state, with agriculture being first and foremost, our largest commodity. (it's not the beach).....You just have to find an area that suits you, and those are lower New Castle County, most of Kent County, and mid to western Sussex County.

In our little Kent County town, we have no restrictions, other than keep you grass cut, your house in good repair, and cars with expired tags need to be fenced in and out of sight. A couple of residences have horses, a couple have chickens. I hang our sheets out to dry on a clothes line in our back yard, if I feel like it. Our neighbors have gardens, and they have little tables in their front yards, where we can buy a tomato or squash for a dime, just a few steps away from us. We're not "hillbillies", just prefer to live in an old fashioned small town comfortably, rather than conform to the modern Homeowners Association way of life.

About "walkable".....I walk to the: post office, deli-butcher, bank, ice cream shop, park, pond, police station, town hall, tavern, restaurant, hair salon, 2 curio shops, our town's summer peach festival, and tonight we're walking to the funeral parlor, for a neighbor's service. All that within a short, 4 block stretch. For a long "mile" walk, it's Fifer's Orchards, for picking our own fresh fruits and veggies, just outside the town limits. Suits us!

Last edited by rdlr; 06-11-2017 at 08:09 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: