Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 PM

7 posts, read 51,909 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to buy a beach house in the near future, and the prices look very reasonable in Slaughter Beach. We are small town people who very much appreciate and respect smaller (authentic) fishing villages, as we understand Slaughter Beach is quite small. Does anyone know anything about Slaughter Beach? The Prime Hook Wildlife Refuge looks gorgeous...but what about the beach, the town? Does anyone rent beach houses there, as we would also like to rent a beach house out when we're not using it. Any advice you have would be appreciated! We know all about the horseshoe crabs and find it very interesting.

Thanks,

Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 AM

113 posts, read 482,403 times
Hi,

My brother-in-law drove us through Slaughter Beach a couple years ago but all I can remember is, yes, that it's tiny. A few houses, a few rentals, and I think one little convenience store. You know that it's on Delaware Bay, right? It's not on the ocean. Just my opinion, but I don't like the DE bay beaches much and don't think they really compare to the ocean beaches. That said, I'm sure I haven't seen all of them. We just visit this state.

Julie

Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieF View Post
Hi,

My brother-in-law drove us through Slaughter Beach a couple years ago but all I can remember is, yes, that it's tiny. A few houses, a few rentals, and I think one little convenience store. You know that it's on Delaware Bay, right? It's not on the ocean. Just my opinion, but I don't like the DE bay beaches much and don't think they really compare to the ocean beaches. That said, I'm sure I haven't seen all of them. We just visit this state.

Julie
Cape Henolopen State Park in De is just fantastic. It is a gorgeous area...you can bike, hike or go swimming at the ocean.
I have always liked Fenwick Island, Betheny Beach.....for quiet ocean swimming.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Summering,

Our relatives have taken us to Cape Henlopen Ste. Park, and I agree with you that it's very nice. It's an ocean beach, isn't it? I think it's right on the southern edge of Delaware Bay but is considered an ocean beach. I prefer those. I think Delaware only has about 18 or so miles of ocean coastline, or that's what the relatives who live here say.

We went to Bethany Beach too, though we sure didn't find the beach "quiet" in the summer.

Do you know of any good restaurants in Bethany Beach or Fenwick? We'll be spending some time both places soon, and I've never tried restaurants either place.

Julie

Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
The Rusty Rudder is in Dewey Beach but it's definately worth the drive. We always go there when we're back visiting. That and Nicola's down by the boardwalk at Rehoboth beach, their nicaboli's are sooo good.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 51,909 times
Thanks for the input...yeah...we're aware that it's on the Bay, not the ocean. The problem is that ocean front homes are beyond what we will ever be able to afford...and we are sailors, so it's the water, the views, the wildlife that we're interested in. I realize it's not the same swimming as Dewey or Rehoboth or Bethany...but I also don't see us winning the lottery anytime soon! I guess what I am interested in knowing is if anyone has spent anytime at Slaughter Beach...and has had experience with the low tide there, the people, or anything else?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Hey Earniefan,

Our kids love Nicola's! We've enjoyed the Rusty Rudder several times. We're looking for some different places, so that's why I'm asking about restaurants in Fenwick and Bethany.

edog0000, sorry I can't give you much help. A couple of Delaware's wildlife refuges get high marks, that I know. The only people I talked with in Slaughter Beach gave us some help with directions, but they seemed nice. Of what I've seen on all our visits to DE, I'd want to live at the shore too, near the ocean, but you're right that you have to be wealthy.

We're kind of confused re moving now. I love the family members who live in DE, but I think I'd prefer other states for several reasons.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:21 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,944 times
I've always wondered how it got it's name....

Old 06-30-2007, 03:38 PM

27 posts, read 140,460 times
Default Slaughter Beach/Prime Hook

We had a place at Prime Hook for about 30 years. As a kid I hated it! There was nothing to do there. You were 5 miles from the highway and there was nothing back there. No store, nothing.
As an adult, I loved it. Nice and quiet. From what I remember Slaughter Beach is about the same. Prime Hook had one street of houses and then a few small side streets.

If you are small town folk, you will probably like Slaughter Beach given that you can afford anything in there now. We just could not believe what we got for our beach house in Prime Hook.

Our tiny beach house sold a few years ago for well over $200,000!!! Good luck!
By the way, Prime Hook that I am talking about is not the same place as the Prime Hook Wildlife Refuge. It is on Rt 1 further south from Slaughter Beach but not as far south as the Wildlife Refuge.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 18,506 times
Slaughter Beach is a strip of houses on the Delaware Bay about 1 mile long. One very tiny store. THAT'S IT!

Homes on the water are very expensive, on the swamp side are a little cheaper but not by much.

If you live there year round, you might be the only people there in the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware