U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 22,746 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on Millsboro. Moving from PA (taxes too high) to Delaware. Active 55
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM

29 posts, read 121,470 times
Hi mahmah,
We too are looking to move from PA to Millsboro. Our house has been for sale for almost a year though with no offers to date. We are looking at mobile/manufactured homes near the bays since that is what we can afford in order to live that close to the water. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who already lives in any of the Long Neck area mobile home communities as to the pros and cons. Especially interested in White House Beach.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 22,746 times
Hi Ocean Seeker. Maybe we aren't hearing from anyone in Millsboro because they are too busy enjoying Millsboro.

Could be a good thing.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 41,122 times
I moved to the Long Neck area 3 years ago from the Balt/Wash area.So far I like it.Housing and taxes are a lot lower here and the pace is slower.There is a lot of beach traffic here on weekends but nothing like the Washington area.There are enough services right here like grocery stores,restaurants,ect that I dont have to travel far if I need something.I dont live in a mobile home community so I cant comment on them other than to say,do some research.I know there is a lot of chatter in the local media because of rising ground rents.Its getting expensive from what I hear.Luckly,I bought a place where I own my ground.If you have any other specific questions,maybe I can give you better answers.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM

23 posts, read 116,238 times
Default Hey, I just bought in millsboro

I can't give you any information regarding my experience because we just bought in millsboro, but the home hasn't been built yet. Just wanted to put it in writing.... Can't believe we did it.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Congrats on your new home, angiei812!

Hey crs52 thanks for the info. I do have a few specific questions. My husband and I have done some exploring in Long Neck. I saw a Food Lion supermarket in one of the shopping centers. We do not have them in PA. How are they quality & price wise? Are there any other nearby supermarkets? What about doctors and dentists? Is it difficult to find good ones in the area? One of the things I am very concerned with is finding a good physician since we are getting older. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 41,122 times
OS,the Food Lion is ok but their prices have gone up more than other stores.They are open 24hr so that helps.There are 2 new grocery stores under construction, Giant Foods and a Harris Teeter,both less than a mile from the Food Lion.As far as dentist go,there is a dental group in Lewes thats good from what I hear.Its about 10mi from Long Neck.I still go back to MD for my dentist.I had no trouble finding a doctor close by and he seems ok so far.Hope this helps you.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
jcw

3 posts, read 21,383 times
Default Living in Millsboro

Hi. I moved to Millsboro from NY in January of this year with my husband. He is 55+ and I am just under 55. It was a big move for us but we are loving every minute of the area. We purchased a beautiful home in a 55+ community called Independence. The community center should be built by late Summer. The area is very, very nice. About 10 miles to Rehoboth. Very good doctors and hospitals in the area. Two food stores being built within 5 miles of Independnence opening in early summer.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Hi jcw. Where is your community? Is it stick built or manufactured? What hospital is in the area? My husband and I are both 55 and looking to move to the Long Neck/Millsboro area. Since this will be the farthest we have ever moved away from both our families and familar areas it is very scary. I am happy to hear that you are loving it. I love the beach and want to be as close as possible to the ocean. I hear that the summer traffic is horrible though. Thanks for responding.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM

23 posts, read 116,238 times
Hi Ocean Seeker,
We bought in Long Neck Shores. It's not 55+ but in speaking with some residents, the majority of the population seems to be in that range. I heard there are only a few families with children. We actually love children and were not looking for that specifically.
We've been plotting our escape from NJ for about 2 years now, doing a lot of research on the area, etc. Watching prices go UP and DOWN, trying to find just the right place at a price we could afford, etc. We love the beach, fishing, crabbing, etc. so this will be great for us. As far as traffic, just try to stay away from the beach on weekends. During the week, it's no big deal.
My DH is retiring and I can telecommute, with taxes so high in NJ, it seemed like a no-brainer. But now that we did it, I'm excited/scared/nervous. This is also the farthest we've ever moved from our families, so I understand why you say it feels scary. Well, I'm hoping that my home in NJ sells quickly and that I won't have to give it away. That's SCARY.
Angie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware