Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

One of the things (probably the biggest thing) I miss most about living in Kennett Square, PA, are the "country-road" farms dotted throughout the township. Many of these sell organic produce in the summer. It was my little slice of Heaven

Anything comparable in the county where I can find affordable housing (but not near the chicken farms)? I don't want to be totally isolated but don't want to look out my window and see into my neighbor's home either. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I (and the Collie) will be doing an overnight in Sussex County in mid-September and will have two days to drive around the different communities. I'd like to start mapping our little trip. THANKS SO MUCH; you folks are always so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 06:08 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
One of the things (probably the biggest thing) I miss most about living in Kennett Square, PA, are the "country-road" farms dotted throughout the township. Many of these sell organic produce in the summer. It was my little slice of Heaven

Anything comparable in the county where I can find affordable housing (but not near the chicken farms)? I don't want to be totally isolated but don't want to look out my window and see into my neighbor's home either. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I (and the Collie) will be doing an overnight in Sussex County in mid-September and will have two days to drive around the different communities. I'd like to start mapping our little trip. THANKS SO MUCH; you folks are always so helpful.

First of all, Delaware is an agricultural state, especially Kent and Sussex Counties. That's our livelihood. Chickens are a part of Delaware.

If you don't want to live in a subdivision where houses are on top of houses, I'm guessing you want to be in a rural area........meaning "chickens, cows, pigs".

We had a 160 acre farm and built a house in the middle of that acreage. Still, we could smell liquid manure being sprayed on the fields of other farms, and still, we could smell neighboring chicken farms.....not all the time, but on occasion. To natives like us, that's no big deal.

Keep in mind, in rural areas... if and when you find your perfect property with no chicken, manure, or animal "fragrances" those farms or farmettes can crop up next to you at any time. Our AR, and AC zoning allows that. I'll also add, some subdivisions are located next to farms.

I often tell prospective transplants ..... if you don't like what we are, stay where you are.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
To add to RDLR most informative post, given the current market for building, while you might buy and not see your the nearest neighbors house today, you just might tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Thanks, folks. I think it was just the "slaughter house" part of the smells that I worry about in terms of nausea. I was near farms with horses and goats and the manure smell didn't bother me - neither did the smell of the mushroom farms which bother a lot of people.

Yeah...I do know the sad risk of farms turning into condos; it's happening in both Lancaster and Chester Counties as well. but even if I just had a couple more years of the JOY of driving those country farm roads, I'd be so happy

Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Then you'd better get on down here. I also love driving through the farm fields, but every mile or so there are for sale signs on varying acreage and I think I got here just in time to see the end of the world - which is what I moved away from. I know some of the agriculture here is protected, so it can't all go, but I see a new building going up every week. And I am deep in farm country.

But there are farm stands everywhere ranging from large enterprises to single dwellings selling their garden produce.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:05 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
To add to RDLR most informative post, given the current market for building, while you might buy and not see your the nearest neighbors house today, you just might tomorrow.

Nuts is so right. The housing boom is almost at a fever pitch in Delaware. Building is going on everywhere, even on low land that nobody would think could be built on.

I guess we can't have it both ways.......jobs are plentiful for those working in the construction business, but vacant land is becoming less and less available, and if there is any, the builders are paying top dollar for that land.....and passing on the costs to the little guys buying newly constructed houses.

As for me, I'm torn between watching our state get more crowded, and earning a good living because of this housing boom, as I work in in an area of the real estate industry.... (not a Realtor).

Old 08-28-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Then you'd better get on down here. I also love driving through the farm fields, but every mile or so there are for sale signs on varying acreage and I think I got here just in time to see the end of the world - which is what I moved away from. I know some of the agriculture here is protected, so it can't all go, but I see a new building going up every week. And I am deep in farm country.
hadds
But there are farm stands everywhere ranging from large enterprises to single dwellings selling their garden produce.
It was the same way in Kennett Square, PA which broke my heart, but the "Old Guard' out there (neighborng Chadds Ford) are beginning to put their foot down on many of the areas.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Nuts is so right. The housing boom is almost at a fever pitch in Delaware. Building is going on everywhere, even on low land that nobody would think could be built on.

Yup....happening everywhere I look in my area. People build on crap lots I wouldn't pay two cents for on a good day. Pay good money too.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Meanwhile we have derelict houses because everyone wants a new construction. I'm surrounded by foreclosures.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Meanwhile we have derelict houses because everyone wants a new construction. I'm surrounded by foreclosures.
Lots of foreclosures, really? Is DE undergoing some type of economic downturn? That's a danged shame!

As for me, I'm accustomed to "older" homes because the county I grew up in (and am back in, unfortunately) is very old. As long as they are well-maintained, that's fine by me. I ADORE the 50's and 60's "Craftsman" homes, though they are not very practical. I'll probably be looking at rather boring but sturdy ranch styles in my (very low) price range. Looked into manufactured communities, but they have dog breed restrictions which just PI#%ES me off no end. Plus I wouldn't want propane gas anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware