Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,467 times

Advertisements

Residents keep fleeing Pa. and Del., though fewer Americans are moving

I've seen this on a few sites, are people leaving at such a high rate above the canal that makes moves a net loss for the State?

Sussex County has to have net gains, but I guess it doesn't keep up with the losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 PM

186 posts, read 175,539 times
The biggest state for people fleeing is NJ. There is no way Delaware beats NJ. If they are leaving Delaware WHY?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:22 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,093 times
Well, the average age in DE is 35 and in the Lewes/ Rehoboth area the average age is 65+. I read somewhere that the death rate in Sussex county exceeds the birth rate in Sussex county. I think the net gains for Sussex county depend on more retirees coming here from other states.

As far as New Castle county and Kent county with younger demographics - you relocate to where you can find work.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
The biggest state for people fleeing is NJ. There is no way Delaware beats NJ. If they are leaving Delaware WHY?
The youth leave for jobs, when I moved across the line from PA, 22 years ago Delaware had DuPont, plus Chrysler and GM. Those jobs are pretty much gone. Now we have Walmart and the State of Delaware for employers.

Its not like the natives are buying 1800sqft homes for 300 grand on the the depressed wages in Sussex County.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Residents keep fleeing Pa. and Del., though fewer Americans are moving

I've seen this on a few sites, are people leaving at such a high rate above the canal that makes moves a net loss for the State?

Sussex County has to have net gains, but I guess it doesn't keep up with the losses.

Funny you brought that up, James! I just attended a seminar on that very subject. It's true, according to what I've seen, only it's not only the natives above the canal that are giving up on Delaware, it's also Kent County natives, and even Sussex County natives in the Lewes/Rehoboth areas. It's as simple as this......Delaware is full of transplants, natives are moving away looking for something like Delaware "used to be". Our roads are jammed and are in poor condition, and our beaches are not "ours" anymore. And, yes, the job market stinks here. The net gains as I see it, represent the retirees coming from elsewhere, in droves, with no end in sight.

That's the down side. The up side is, Delaware builders are making out pretty well selling standard new construction with a few upgrades, for big bucks, and buyers think they're getting a steal! The Delaware Transfer Tax went up for one good reason.....The State wanted a piece of the action. Boggles my mind. However, I'm old and remember when we bought 160 acres of clear land for $42,500....but then... I'm irrelevant.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Funny you brought that up, James! I just attended a seminar on that very subject. It's true, according to what I've seen, only it's not only the natives above the canal that are giving up on Delaware, it's also Kent County natives, and even Sussex County natives in the Lewes/Rehoboth areas. It's as simple as this......Delaware is full of transplants, natives are moving away looking for something like Delaware "used to be". Our roads are jammed and are in poor condition, and our beaches are not "ours" anymore. And, yes, the job market stinks here. The net gains as I see it, represent the retirees coming from elsewhere, in droves, with no end in sight.

That's the down side. The up side is, Delaware builders are making out pretty well selling standard new construction with a few upgrades, for big bucks, and buyers think they're getting a steal! The Delaware Transfer Tax went up for one good reason.....The State wanted a piece of the action. Boggles my mind. However, I'm old and remember when we bought 160 acres of clear land for $42,500....but then... I'm irrelevant.
Certainly not irrelevant, just a different perspective from those of us that have lived up north and down here, like me, you, and beachliz.

Hey you remember when Wilmington was nice and that's a good thing, it's one thing to know Middletown was a two light town with barely 600 kids in their high school 25 years ago, now with 2100 in two, but remembering when Browntown was nice, that's saying something.

I love it down here but I find it crazy to see all the houses going up and we still have an exit in terms residents leaving. My kids, one graduates this year and the other next year, thankfully because guess what? Some of newer folk want diversity in the Cape School District, apparently what's destroyed Wilmington schools the past 30 plus years will come down here to ruin these as well.

My other concern is remember when Minner was governor and we had a really bad drought?, now imagine with 10,000 more homes, what happens then?

We don't want our kids staying here though, there's still too many illegals and not nearly enough good paying jobs, plus all these HOA's run by people from not here who cry if you paint your house the wrong shade of blue, I never thought I'd live somewhere where I have to ask what I can and can't do to my own house. That's on me though. Lewes can't have fireworks cause someone's dog gets scared, lol.

Our infrastructure is outdated and basically irrevelent, we have new developments popping up on roads that never should of had more than a few homes. The traffic is wow!!! I had no idea so many people live here and commute to Baltimore and Wilmington everyday, it's just about year round traffic now up and down rt 1. Ugh!!

Hate to say that once the boys graduate, we'll be gone as well, to much too soon, you'd think the people that run this state, wouldn't want another Bear, Middletown, Smyrna, and now here, but it seems they'll never learn.

Holy cow as of 2016 Delaware was 2nd in the nation in Foreclosure's, didn't know that.

Last edited by James420; 09-04-2017 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Quote:
The youth leave for jobs, when I moved across the line from PA, 22 years ago Delaware had DuPont, plus Chrysler and GM. Those jobs are pretty much gone. Now we have Walmart and the State of Delaware for employers.

Its not like the natives are buying 1800sqft homes for 300 grand on the the depressed wages in Sussex County.
Well James don't forget another major employer is the chicken processing industry.They are big here in Sussex and bring many jobs which some or us don;t find to be what we want to do, They draw people who are willing to do those jobs .( I tried to phrase that as diplomatically as possible).

Old 09-05-2017, 02:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Quote:
Certainly not irrelevant, just a different perspective from those of us that have lived up north and down here, like me, you, and beachliz.

I love it down here but I find it crazy to see all the houses going up and we still have an exit in terms residents leaving. My kids, one graduates this year and the other next year, thankfully because guess what? Some of newer folk want diversity in the Cape School District, apparently what's destroyed Wilmington schools the past 30 plus years will come down here to ruin these as well.

We don't want our kids staying here though, there's still too many illegals and not nearly enough good paying jobs, plus all these HOA's run by people from not here who cry if you paint your house the wrong shade of blue, I never thought I'd live somewhere where I have to ask what I can and can't do to my own house. That's on me though. Lewes can't have fireworks cause someone's dog gets scared, lol.

Our infrastructure is outdated and basically irrevelent, we have new developments popping up on roads that never should of had more than a few homes. The traffic is wow!!! I had no idea so many people live here and commute to Baltimore and Wilmington everyday, it's just about year round traffic now up and down rt 1. Ug

Holy cow as of 2016 Delaware was 2nd in the nation in Foreclosure's, didn't know that.
Forced diversity? What is that exactly? Some of the other stuff here, which I selected from the original post, is pretty spooky. Certainly enough to give me pause, particularly the infrastructure.

But at least we old folk transplants might have had some influence on your getting a revamped, newer U of P hospital - perhaps more jobs will be generated from that addition.

Definitely having second thoughts, though.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Forced diversity? What is that exactly? Some of the other stuff here, which I selected from the original post, is pretty spooky. Certainly enough to give me pause, particularly the infrastructure.

But at least we old folk transplants might have had some influence on your getting a revamped, newer U of P hospital - perhaps more jobs will be generated from that addition.

Definitely having second thoughts, though.
Could you take a long vacation here before you commit?? I know some very nice people who are unhappy after the move.On the other hand I know some who now think they are in Paradise.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
Lots of immigrants moving into NJ, at least southern most NJ. As white folk die off or move off because of the lack of opportunity immigration has been encouraged. I am guessing our next governor will declare NJ a sanctuary state. But darned if I know how my new neighbors are going to be able to support themselves long term..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware