Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 AM

84 posts, read 119,383 times

Advertisements

This extreme cold is all over the country...I see a lot of heat pumps used in heating systems....Are they working okay for those of you who have them?......Thanks ....Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 AM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I am in NW Georgia.

We have a ground source heat pump. The thermostat is set on 68 degrees and we are fine. Low temp last night was in the mid teens.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
This extreme cold is all over the country...I see a lot of heat pumps used in heating systems....Are they working okay for those of you who have them?......Thanks ....Jim
They don't work at all in this sort of cold.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times
When we were back in DE we had baseboard heat as well as a heat pump (installed as a/c needed replacement, went with heat pump).
They work awesome at certain temps (forgot which so I'm not going to quote it here) BUT once the temp gets below 40ish, they run, run and then run. However the heat strip comes on and goes off. So it is not recommended to switch to only the electric strip, emergency heat mode when it is only electric.
We had a 1500 sq ft house, crawl space next to an open field (wind.....). We did see $400 a month electric bills usually Jan/Feb. Had to get used to it running 24/7. Didn't bother us at night listening to the ceiling vents blowing all night. Still felt better than running the baseboard heaters that were orig to the house in the late 80s. We would use the baseboard heaters on occasion in certain rooms to bring the temp up a bit. Had 400 amp service to the house so overloading the power wasn't an issue.
If the house was built with a space for gas or oil heater (basement, etc) it would have been much better! We've had gas before elsewhere and if the htr is sized right, it is great especially if you have one of the 95% condensing heaters.
Heat pumps as an only source, Meh? Wouldn't rule it out but we know how they work and have to accept the way it is.
Cheers!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Heat pump sole source for heat?

Maybe if you live in a new home designed for one -- by which I mean air tight and heavily insulated.

My home is about 100 years old, and the heat pump basically produces heat at the rate the house looses it during cold days. So thermostat calls the ole boiler (probably older than me) to get the house to a desired temp and tries to use the heat pump to keep it there -- still calling on the boiler for a few minutes of help several times an hour.

Despite the boiler use, overall monthly heating costs have gone down. But I've also put in a programmable thermostat and did some minor weather stripping -- so it's difficult to know how much of the savings is due solely to the heat pump running continuously instead of the boiler.

Now in the very hot and humid summer, my heat pump cannot be touched!

I have had my house at 62 degrees + 35 relative humidity --- while outside was in the high 90's with evil levels of humidity.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 AM

84 posts, read 119,383 times
Thanks guys.....

I’m reading a lot of real estate ads that mention heat pumps as the source of heat....I’m not sure if this is the only source of heat or not... I’ll have to investigate further.... This cold weather here in NY is WICKED!!!!!......Jim

Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnut View Post
Thanks guys.....

I’m reading a lot of real estate ads that mention heat pumps as the source of heat....I’m not sure if this is the only source of heat or not... I’ll have to investigate further.... This cold weather here in NY is WICKED!!!!!......Jim
They're fine if you have backup. That far north, they're going to fail at some point.

http://www.hammerpedia.com/frost-line-map/

Old 01-06-2018, 03:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Really not meant for anything below 25/ 30 degrees. Ours is a new more efficient one but we do supplement it with a portable heater that costs us about .25 cents an hour.We will see what the electric bill looks like in a month.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:20 AM

186 posts, read 175,483 times
Hyper Heat is a home heating system designed by Mitsubishi a couple of years ago. Hyper Heat is a heat pump system, but it adds an Inverter technology that allows it to maintain its efficiency when temperatures fall, all the way down to -13 degrees Fahrenheit . Is this true I don't know? The old ones only worked as GI mention 25-30 Fahrenheit and were better for milder states. Maybe his new one is Hyper heat as only he could answer that? This Hyper Heat is quite expensive as I have priced it to be installed for additional heat in my house but never did . The other con that I do have is that it is electric powered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware