Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Our driveway is approximately 15 years old and asphalt. The previous owners applied the sealer in excess and it is now a mess with cracks and crumbles and tire depressions. I asked in my community and the one recommendation I got from two neighbors was for a company in Wilmington and they will not come here to Rehoboth for a single job. The drive way is approximately 20ft x 31ft. I am sure I am going to have to have it dug out and start from scratch. Does anyone have a recommendations for a contractor? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:39 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
My neighbors in NJ are primarily using concrete instead of asphalt for replacement. A lot of asphalt around here is county road spec. Does not hold up well. I would at least look into concrete. Especially if you can find a reputable company.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 AM

405 posts, read 676,127 times
nuts2uiam, I sent you a PM.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
nuts.....I'm sending you a DM with our "go to" asphalt guy's number.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
My neighbors in NJ are primarily using concrete instead of asphalt for replacement. A lot of asphalt around here is county road spec. Does not hold up well. I would at least look into concrete. Especially if you can find a reputable company.
We can't do concrete. We get virtually no sun on that side of the house and the blacktop will melt faster. The concrete will hold the cold and any snow that we get will hug that driveway. Our front door walkway is a sheet of ice unless we can get it down to the concrete after it snows. While we use the garage entrance for the most part, when we have company after it snows we tell them to be very careful.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We can't do concrete. We get virtually no sun on that side of the house and the blacktop will melt faster. The concrete will hold the cold and any snow that we get will hug that driveway. Our front door walkway is a sheet of ice unless we can get it down to the concrete after it snows. While we use the garage entrance for the most part, when we have company after it snows we tell them to be very careful.
I'm not an expert, but I know the concrete driveways I've seen are pitted, cracked, and damaged from the use of rock salt used during snowfalls.Our asphalt driveway hasn't done that.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
Concrete can't be salted for the first 2 years. It takes two years to cure. At least that is what I understand. Keep in mind all new developments use concrete.

Kind of sad but there was a large reputable/responsible asphalt company that wanted to build a small state of the art asphalt plant in my town but the environmentalists chased them out. We were left with an old facility that primarily supplies the city and county for roads. Thus all we get is road spec which does not hold up. The nearest quality asphalt manufacturer is 45 minutes away.

It is also my understanding there are different grades of concrete. Depending on how much weight you want to hold.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind all new developments use concrete.
NJBoy....I, respectfully, disagree with that. Most new developments/subdivisions I visit in Kent County and Sussex County have asphalt driveways. It seems that most developments located in towns have concrete driveways. But there's no rule of thumb, and I'm only speaking in general terms, regarding my day to day experiences.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Concrete can't be salted for the first 2 years. It takes two years to cure. At least that is what I understand. Keep in mind all new developments use concrete.

Kind of sad but there was a large reputable/responsible asphalt company that wanted to build a small state of the art asphalt plant in my town but the environmentalists chased them out. We were left with an old facility that primarily supplies the city and county for roads. Thus all we get is road spec which does not hold up. The nearest quality asphalt manufacturer is 45 minutes away.

It is also my understanding there are different grades of concrete. Depending on how much weight you want to hold.
I don't use rock salt because of the erosion factor and I have a dog and don't want the salt on his paws. That aside, unless the concrete is heated, it still makes no difference to us.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:30 AM

171 posts, read 109,435 times
Sorry I can't recommend anyone since I am in the process of building down there, but still living in NJ. But my input to material is we built our current home 21 years ago and that builder recommended concrete. It did cost approx. 2x the costs of blacktop. We have had ZERO costs in 21 years. We did not use salt on it ever, and it is on the north side of the home. It doesn't require the constant maintenance I see my neighbors going through, my neighbors they say they wished they had used concrete. I am using concrete on the home we are building now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: