Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,505 times

Advertisements

On my trip this week, we went as far as Milford. Cute, but not for me. Dover was a bust, and poor Rodney Village is a ghetto - no way to soften the description. We even thought we had a flat tire (and they're almost brand new) from picking up a gross pile of tar and rubble which made a thudding sound! Awful! There were vagrant-looking people just wandering the streets. They might be trying to rehab that area, but they have a LONG way to go. I did get to see the construction of the new hospital in Milford, though.

I suppose we should have gone deeper into Sussex, but I don't think there's anything affordable for me there without septic, well, and propane tanks from everything I've searched online, and I had lost heart by then. SIGH...just didn't seem like home to me - construction on every corner and congestion everywhere. Actually thinking of looking at York County, PA at this point. Very frustrating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Best of luck in York County PA, it may be more affordable and less congested than Sussex County. IMO, York PA is much like Dover, just smaller.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Best of luck in York County PA, it may be more affordable and less congested than Sussex County. IMO, York PA is much like Dover, just smaller.
Thanks, Skeddy, but i wasn't thinking of the city itself, but the County;I might look at the part closest to the Lancaster County Line.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:29 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
On my trip this week, we went as far as Milford. Cute, but not for me. Dover was a bust, and poor Rodney Village is a ghetto - no way to soften the description. We even thought we had a flat tire (and they're almost brand new) from picking up a gross pile of tar and rubble which made a thudding sound! Awful! There were vagrant-looking people just wandering the streets. They might be trying to rehab that area, but they have a LONG way to go. I did get to see the construction of the new hospital in Milford, though.

I suppose we should have gone deeper into Sussex, but I don't think there's anything affordable for me there without septic, well, and propane tanks from everything I've searched online, and I had lost heart by then. SIGH...just didn't seem like home to me - construction on every corner and congestion everywhere. Actually thinking of looking at York County, PA at this point. Very frustrating...
I moved to Dover area last fall and love Dover. Go there several times a week. The Green is beautiful and old buildings around it well-preserved. I sent photos of the area to people in Ct who are interested in historical areas and they thought it looked beautiful. Also like to visit the gardens at Woodburn, the Governor's House. In Ct the current governor had the entire 4-1/2 acre property surrounding the Governor's Mansion fenced.

Good luck - I hope you find a good place to live in an area that meets your needs.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I moved to Dover area last fall and love Dover. Go there several times a week. The Green is beautiful and old buildings around it well-preserved. I sent photos of the area to people in Ct who are interested in historical areas and they thought it looked beautiful. Also like to visit the gardens at Woodburn, the Governor's House. In Ct the current governor had the entire 4-1/2 acre property surrounding the Governor's Mansion fenced.

Good luck - I hope you find a good place to live in an area that meets your needs.
Thanks so much! My price point is an issue - even two realtors told me that. So glad you love it and made the right choice! XO

Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Best of luck in York Co. Just don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,033 times
Quote:
Thanks so much! My price point is an issue - even two realtors told me that. So glad you love it and made the right choice! XO

I got lucky - found a great realtor who went above and beyond. Prior to that, one tried to steer me to areas I was not interested in, another said it would be "tough" to find a place in my price range and a third, could only find places with no clubhouse or pool (my minimum amenities wanted), but had 2-car garages. A bigger garage would have been nice, but I really wanted a pool and clubhouse. It all worked out and I found the perfect place in the perfect area. I hope you are as lucky. I only wanted to move once so was determined to find the right place for myself.

And really Dover is very nice - especially in April when the whole median on Loockerman Street is planted with tulips of every imaginable color.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:48 PM

419 posts, read 388,189 times
Soulsurv, so sorry to hear your Delaware trip didn't turn out as you hoped. Taking a chance here, but have you thought about Maryland? Granted, property taxes are higher in Maryland than in Delaware, but they're not as high as Pennsylvania.

If you're looking for a small town that has small, very cheap older homes with town water and sewer, you might want to consider somewhere like Millington, MD. It's a sleepy little town a couple of miles from the Delaware line. Millington is very small and rural but they have a Food Lion, a Dollar General, and a small hardware store as well as a couple of restaurants. Shopping and healthcare would be a 20 minute drive in any direction -- Chestertown to the west, Middleton, DE to the northeast, and Smyrna/Dover to the east.

This area of Maryland has not been built up like Delaware even though it is only a few miles away. Places like Millington are not exciting but they can offer the chance to live a good life on the cheap.

Keep looking at every possibility and don't give up. You just never know when you'll stumble across the right place.

Last edited by StillRoaming; 06-25-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Soulsurv, so sorry to hear your Delaware trip didn't turn out as you hoped. Taking a chance here, but have you thought about Maryland? Granted, property taxes are higher in Maryland than in Delaware, but they're not as high as Pennsylvania.

If you're looking for a small town that has small, very cheap older homes with town water and sewer, you might want to consider somewhere like Millington, MD. It's a sleepy little town a couple of miles from the Delaware line. Millington is very small and rural but they have a Food Lion, a Dollar General, and a small hardware store as well as a couple of restaurants. Shopping and healthcare would be a 20 minute drive in any direction -- Chestertown to the west, Middleton, DE to the northeast, and Smyrna/Dover to the east.

This area of Maryland has not been built up like Delaware even though it is only a few miles away. Places like Millington are not exciting but they can offer the chance to live a good life on the cheap.

Keep looking at every possibility and don't give up. You just never know when you'll stumble across the right place.

Stillroaming - how kind of you! Never considered MD - Did take a little daytrip to Havre de Grace a few years back which was a really cute town - I'll check it out! XO

Old 06-26-2018, 08:18 AM

419 posts, read 388,189 times
Quote:
Stillroaming - how kind of you! Never considered MD - Did take a little daytrip to Havre de Grace a few years back which was a really cute town - I'll check it out! XO
Havre de Grace is much, much larger than some of the small towns on the Eastern Shore of Maryland like Millington. Generally, you'll get much more bang for your buck on the Eastern Shore. The trade off is the towns are small and you have to drive a little to get to amenities. With online shopping now, you don't have to drive quite as much to get things you need. All small towns have some shopping even if it's only a Dollar General and large gas station that doubles as a deli. Going north from Millington, you'll find more potential towns like Galena and Cecilton. Prices rise a little once you get to North East and Elkton, but you're closer to more amenities.

If you do get over to the Eastern Shore and enjoy history, check out Chestertown MD. It's a lovely large town. I have to consider it great because I was born there. It's where I hope to end up once we're able to move. Your budget would allow you to buy there, but from what you've indicated, it may be a little more remote than you want.

There's still a lot of Delaware in your price range that you can check out. If you drive south of Rodney Village on Route 13, you'll come to towns like Felton, Harrington, and Greenwood. All of those will be around 20 minutes from Milford which you indicate is important because of healthcare. Property remains cheaper than what you'll find over on Route 113 which heads to the beaches.

To get town water and sewer, you have to go into the towns which usually means smaller lots, a little less privacy, and older homes. You may look at these places and just realize that at heart, you'll always be a Pennsylvania girl who wants to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware