Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 PM

310 posts, read 777,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
1.) The Governor
2.) Ruth Ann Minner
3.) Gov. Ruth Ann Minner
4.) Owner of a tow truck company in Milford
5.) The former Lt Gov.
6.) RAM
7.) Aunt Bee
8.) Ms. Doubtfire
9.) The soon to be ex Governor
10.) The resident of Woodlawn
Aunt Bee, that cracks me up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 PM

4 posts, read 25,403 times
Elizamary-
What part of Florida were you in???
It's been absolutely gorgeous here in FL since we moved here from DE in Sept (after 20 years in Newark). It was more humid in DE when we left. Now granted in the summer it will be stinking hot, but I'd rather live in 7 months of spring than 8 months of winter up north.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc9954 View Post
Elizamary-
What part of Florida were you in???
It's been absolutely gorgeous here in FL since we moved here from DE in Sept (after 20 years in Newark). It was more humid in DE when we left. Now granted in the summer it will be stinking hot, but I'd rather live in 7 months of spring than 8 months of winter up north.
Hi JMC.........We were all over Florida in Feb. visited Melbourne, Orlando, Leesburg and sarasota. Feb was a very humid month and every day was a BAD hair day. it was so uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get home.
Understand, the temps were on the cool side but with the rain, drizzle and just cloudy damp days it was damp and humid.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM

88 posts, read 320,047 times
I have lived in Delaware my whole life. We are moving South in 2 months. Here's why:
1. It is too cold for most of the year. It seems like it's cold for 7 months. 3 months of summer (we don't mind the heat/humidity), and just 1 month each of spring and fall weather.
2. The public schools are pretty bad and the private schools are too expensive.
3. The areas that used to be good (i.e., Pike Creek), are starting to become not-so-good. A lot of graffiti has been appearing in recent months.
4. There isn't much to do (other than go shopping) unless you drive an hour or more.

What we will miss (besides our family and friends, of course):
1. No sales tax and the reasonable cost of living
2. Rehoboth Beach - especially the boardwalk
3. Our Fitness Club/pool (Hockessin Athletic Club)

That's all I can think of for the moment. Anyway, we're heading South, but who knows - we may be back someday.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM

103 posts, read 513,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
The whole area was 30 years in the past. When I first moved there from friendly Chicago, I would sometimes make a comment to another person in Acme grocery store, She looked right through me.
Being from the midwest also - isn't it amazing when people ignore a simple "Hi."?

These people here are so neurotic compared with the rest of the country.

Also, re: Grafitti... I couldn't agree more.... what in the hell is up with that? There seems to be a lot of gangsta trash moving in, or its the wanna-be-thugs that have nothing better to do than to litter and destroy other people's property. Man, I sound like my grandpa... and I'm only 26.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 PM

12 posts, read 39,270 times
My DH was born-n-bred in DE and we still visit there. As a "non-DE" person, my observations about the area are this:

What I dislike:
* WAY overpriced houses.
* Congested roadways
* attitudes
* schools (either unsafe public or way overpriced private)
* dirty beaches stuffed with people

What I like:
* tax-free shopping
* brew haha (I second that vote - good coffee!!)
* birch beer (yeah, I know, it's not uniquely a DE thing, but they do sell it there, and I love it!)
* five star pizza (Dh still has to have a slice of Grotto's when he visits, tho...)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:40 AM

271 posts, read 995,258 times
I haven't been around the forum for several days, and usually when that happens, I return to a lot of catch-up reading, especially from regulars like Charley, Eliza, and Delly. Where is everybody? Miss you!

Since this thread focuses on northern Delaware, I can't help as much as I'd like. We've lived in Dover (central DE) for more than 30 years, and though we used to travel north quite a lot, we haven't as much in the past 10 years.

In general though, I can make note here that people certainly do have different opinions! dch123 found Delaware too cold. This has been a chilly spring so far, but we find Delaware too hot and humid. We don't know where we'll be moving in the next couple of years, but we're considering areas with cooler summers and a bit more winter. Yes, we like snow! Note: our primary reason for moving is to be closer to family. We have no family in Delaware. This will be the major decision maker for us, and we may be surprised at where we end up!

dkmisol found the natives unfriendly. Maybe that's changed since I last spent significant time in northern DE, but I must say that, in general, throughout Delaware, we've seldom encountered unfriendly people. This includes both native Delawareans, who are fairly rare in our experience (but check Delaware native Delly's posts here; she's both friendly and helpful), and the many many transplants from other states.

The people are "so neurotic"?????????????

gopherit, again, I'm uncertain about the housing market in northern DE, but I do know that some areas are expensive. Even in central Delaware, within Kent County, there's quite a wide range, but you can also find a lot of house for a reasonable price. (That's also true in Sussex County, as long as you stay away from beach areas.) I agree with you about congested roadways, especially in certain areas, at certain times. "Attitudes" vary widely, and some of this will depend on your own, which is not to say that you have a poor one (attitude), but it's generally true that people are more likely to respond positively if they perceive one as genuinely friendly. The beaches are crowded in the summer months, but you can find your own much less crowded stretch if you'll try the Park beaches south of Dewey Beach. Those of us who have lived here a long time know those beaches and appreciate the beautiful dunes.

Schools can be a problem throughout the state. You have to do your research.

We have been searching for our next state for a couple years now, and we have discovered--shouldn't have been a surprise--that they all seem to have great aspects, not so great aspects, and a lot between!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 PM

69 posts, read 347,025 times
Now granted in the summer it will be stinking hot, but I'd rather live in 7 months of spring than 8 months of winter up north.[/quote]

8 months of winter up north. Ha!!! You must not be talking about Delaware because I don't really even consider Delaware a cold state. I would say it pretty much has a good mix of all four seasons. The winters are not bitterly cold and it doesn't even snow that much in Delaware. Now if you want to talk about 8 months of winter, try living in Cleveland.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:59 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
[quote=anniebleu;3362768]I haven't been around the forum for several days, and usually when that happens, I return to a lot of catch-up reading, especially from regulars like Charley, Eliza, and Delly. Where is everybody? Miss you!

HI..ANNIE
I.AM.HAVNG..KEYBOARD..PROBLEMS..SPILLED..COFFEE.." AGAIN"..

using..the..on-screen..keyboard.
have..to.click..on.every..letter
taking..forever...but.teaching..me..PATIENCE..whic h..I.desparatly..need....LOL

Charley..must..be.busy.
delly..is..very..busy..these.days..
both.will..pop..in..from..time.to.time

Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM

29 posts, read 133,578 times
Si nce we are on the subject of weather and negatives....What about mosquitos and flies(the biting kind)? We are getting ready to move to a bay front community in Long Neck and I wondering if there is a problem time with flying pests. We were in coastal South Carolina for a vacation in September and the mosquitos and "love bugs" were horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware