Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM

79 posts, read 320,162 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in moving to a new deveopment is Middetown, but I was curious if there are any wildlife in the area such as: bears, snakes, deers, raccoons, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
I'm interested in moving to a new deveopment is Middetown, but I was curious if there are any wildlife in the area such as: bears, snakes, deers, raccoons, etc.
No bears tiaam. There have been snake sightings in our community but I think it is because they are digging and building. Cutting into the snakes habitat. some residents have found them dead on the trail, the road and in their yards.
Deer have been sighted by the homes near the woods. My neighbor has a premium lot by the woods when he saw the deer. Quite awesome.
I have seen a fox a few times. Plus, there are critters running around and i do not walk alone at night. that is when they come out.
my guess is, once this community is settled, we will not see many "critters".

Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
No bears.....
Raccoons, opossum, snakes, etc. are here. Deer hunting season, in the fall, flushes the over population from the wooded areas, and there are many roads I travel very carefully, in all three counties. They will come out day, or night, and can cause a disaster. Iron Hill, near Newark/Middletown is a haven for deer. On my travels, I see deer almost every day. Yesterday, I saw 3 dead deer along heavily traveled Route 1 (Coastal Highway) and there's a lot of new development there, and just some woods. In the City of Wilmington, there have been stray deer running down Market Street, lost and confused, but that doesn't happen often. Fox hunting is a big thing around here, and fox are often seen, including red fox. Avoid them at all costs because many have rabies, I've been told. Snakes, also, are seen quite often around here, and even in towns and small communities, I've seen them sunning themselves on front steps, even in towns......not often, but they are here. 25 years ago, we had quite a welcome to our home in town. While we were sitting in our living room, with the inside front door open, I noticed a raccoon peering through our storm door at us, from the porch. I went to the door and she scurried away, with her 3 little ones following. I guess we were an oddity!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,719 times
Oh my - snakes?! Now, that is something I did not expect to have to prepare for, in my move to Delaware!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM

79 posts, read 320,162 times
Thank you for the responses, although I am disturb about the possibiity of seeing a fox. As far as snakes, are they garden snakes?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses, although I am disturb about the possibiity of seeing a fox. As far as snakes, are they garden snakes?
For the most part, garden snakes and black snacks, I think. But I'm not an expert in identifying snakes.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
Oh my - snakes?! Now, that is something I did not expect to have to prepare for, in my move to Delaware!
Well they are not all over the place. I have been here one year and have not seen one yet. My neighbors have seen a few but I attribute this to construction. Our community is not filled yet and they are still digging and building.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Funny, the little critteres mostly come out at night. Yeah snakes are garden but this little sissy doesn't garden. I sent hubby out for that one.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
speaking of snakes............south is loaded with snakes, gators and crocs. We were thinking of moving to florida. A really nice community invited us down to spend a few days in one of their new models. Community was so pretty and nice..........Had everything too even a golf course.
they also had ponds all over. I asked the girl in the office about gators and she said "just be careful if you are walking a pet". Well that did it for me and we scratch Florida off of our list.

My cousin has a place in Hilton Head. If anyone is familiar with HH, there are a zillion trees. Her yard was full of them and she had to wear boots to do her gardening on account of snakes.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
I'll be leaving more snakes in New York than finding in Delaware, but that's another story

Our big problem in New York is the over-population of deer. We now see them on a daily basis. They certainly have become a major driving hazard in this area.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware