Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

Delly, since I am eldercaring an aged and very feeble parent now in the Midwest, I am unable totally to leave; otherwise, I would be there scouting out what I am interested in. Delaware has alot going for it, and I cannot wait to see for myself...but just cannot now.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 03-28-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Delly, since I am eldercaring an aged and very feeble parent now in the Midwest, I am unable totally to leave; otherwise, I would be there scouting out what I am interested in. Delaware has alot going for it, and I cannot wait to see for myself...but just cannot now.
Oh, Tootsie.....I can relate to being a care giver. I did that also, for my mother. Hang in there!

My work takes me to the Wilmington area about once/week. But I don't go out to eat up there, shop, or other. When the time is right, you'll sort all those concerns out. Chadds Ford (off Rt. 202) is a very nice area, with some lovely restaurants. Also, on Rt. 202 on the way to West Chester, PA is the Dillworth Inn, also very nice. There are so many new ones up there, going in-and-out of business, all the time. As far as groceries, I buy whatever I want within reason. I'm not rich, but if I see something in the grocery store I want, I pay. I did plenty of penney pinching in my young days when the kids were little, and I'm not doing that anymore. Just like the price of gas.....it's a necessity. Since I'm in Kent County, I can't offer much help to you in the New Castle County area, but if you have any other specific questions, I'll try.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Still tootsie, before you make a commitment to move here, you really need to visit when the time is right.
I know I wouldn't move blind without visiting. gathering all the info you can is good. And you should continue to do so.

One thing, DE is one of the more reasonable states to live at the present.

My neighbor came from South Dakota and according to her, DE is more expensive than SD in every way....Utiilities, taxes and so on. I do not know first hand and don't know if she is lying to win an argument or not but this is what she says. Housing is very reasonable too.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM

here is an interesting article on rising food cost around the world.

Food prices are rising all over the world - World business - MSNBC.com

Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Elizamary-she would say that because SD has no property taxes,school taxes. But then there's not much there!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM

243 posts, read 914,797 times
The last reply to this thread was Dec 2007. Let's see if it continues. Today I purchased a gallon of milk at Dairy Barn. That is a drive through market that has limited items. I paid $4.24. What is milk going for in Delaware now? Skirt steak is $4.99/lb. on sale. How about Delaware? These prices are from Long Island, New York. Today is April 15, 2008.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
The last reply to this thread was Dec 2007. Let's see if it continues. Today I purchased a gallon of milk at Dairy Barn. That is a drive through market that has limited items. I paid $4.24. What is milk going for in Delaware now? Skirt steak is $4.99/lb. on sale. How about Delaware? These prices are from Long Island, New York. Today is April 15, 2008.

I do most of my shopping at Wal mart. When we first moved down here to DE, I thought food was high.
Recently we went back to philly and I stopped in my favorite Pathmark. I know them all after 30 years of shopping there. Got talking to one checker and she said food there has gone up drastically too. So I think it is all over.
Great post and I will get specific prices on different items.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:48 PM

I look forward to seeing your reply elizamary. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,461 times
Hi movn2del,

I've been pretty busy this week... this month for that matter and haven't had much time to catch up here at C-D. As far as grocery prices... I have found better prices here than even back in NC where we moved from. I usually get a gallon of milk at the gas station, where they have a "club" of "buy 9 get 1 free" sort of thing. The last gallon I purchased was $3.99. Add the state perk of no sales tax, and the bottom line is still $3.99!

Hubby's family are all on Long Island, but Nassau County, not Suffolk. We too lived there back in 1991-92, and went to the Dairy Barn. To be honest, we have not checked out the drive through type retailers, but I don't believe there are any like Dairy Barn. Frankly, we only went there back then because my mother in law insisted! But then again, she prefers the butcher, and the bakery, etc. and pays more anyway.

Now the same gallon of milk (different brand, mind you) is currently costing my mom $4.59 at Walmart in central NC. We were just in NC over spring break; I used to think Walmart was reasonable for groceries until I compared what we pay here in DE to what mom pays in NC. So elizamary, watch out for prices at Walmart!

I run errands all the time, and have found I pick up different groceries in different stores. When I can, I shop bargains on can/frozen/boxed goods; I have to admit I am loyal only to my pocketbook... not any one grocery chain! I love getting certain items at Bylers Country Store when I am in that area, etc.

Its late, and I am trying to recall what area of DE you are visiting next week. We are in Kent County, in the Camden area. Let us know what you think, and enjoy your trip!

Mary

Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM

hubby made arrangements, so don't quote me. I think we are staying in Dover. We are looking in Kent County. Haven't totally picked one town. Have been in touch with schools and like responses from Lake Forest. Might look for near there so I don't have to drive the children to school or meet up at a bus stop. We are very excited about our trip. Will fill you in when we get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware