Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
Those flood zone maps don't factor in what the climate scientists are overwhelmingly telling us - that as soon as 2030 to 2040 what is currently at sea level could be a few inches deep - permanently.
That's not the purpose of a FEMA map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,096 times
I recently purchased a lot in Pelican Point. No basements allowed, which is fine with me. I've met many current residents (phase 1 is complete and sold out) and none have had any water issues. Coming from NJ I'm shocked at the friendliness of the residents. Several have invited me in to see their homes and give advice. Flood insurance is not required for my property or the land near it. Community club and pool were finished this past summer and are beautiful. I've done my due diligence (I hope) regarding future plans for the immediate area and so far it seems okay. Keep in mind that developments are being built all over by different builders. Make sure you choose a builder with a good track record, you don't want to buy in a community that gets dumped by the initial builder. It can take a long time for another builder to take over. Finally, I agree with the others who questioned how much of NY/NJ we want to bring to DE. While I want to enjoy lower taxes I also want to enjoy a slower/better way of life. I'm hoping that no huge malls start popping up in Sussex County. I chose Delaware because I rwally like Delaware as it is. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 14,439 times
Hi, we are also from the Hudson valley and were down there 2 weeks ago and we looked at about 15 new communities, Do your homework because each community is different, it can get to be overwhelming.....Good luck to you...

Old 10-31-2018, 04:22 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
Isn't that the truth rosy9959? We had years to go before we were planning to buy and made a lot of trips to the area while visiting friends or going to the beach over a 5 year period. Despite all those options, it was surprisingly hard for us to "get the stars to align" so to speak and find everything that we wanted - a floor plan, builder, area, community/amenities, and so on.

One thing we did to help us make sure we got all the pertinent information and had a way to remember it was to make up a little mini-binder that we put our homemade list with fields to fill out as we spoke to the Sales Rep. You think you'll remember, but after you've seen a few, it starts to blur. We had fields for everything from Builder, location, cable provider, HOA fee, # of houses in the community to type of heat, amenities, which floor plan we liked and so on. This really helped us keep them straight. While it's fun to look, it can start to be not only overwhelming, but frustrating when you just can't find the right combination. That's how we wound up deciding to buy a year ahead of time when we found The One that was for us.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Isn't that the truth rosy9959? We had years to go before we were planning to buy and made a lot of trips to the area while visiting friends or going to the beach over a 5 year period. Despite all those options, it was surprisingly hard for us to "get the stars to align" so to speak and find everything that we wanted - a floor plan, builder, area, community/amenities, and so on.

One thing we did to help us make sure we got all the pertinent information and had a way to remember it was to make up a little mini-binder that we put our homemade list with fields to fill out as we spoke to the Sales Rep. You think you'll remember, but after you've seen a few, it starts to blur. We had fields for everything from Builder, location, cable provider, HOA fee, # of houses in the community to type of heat, amenities, which floor plan we liked and so on. This really helped us keep them straight. While it's fun to look, it can start to be not only overwhelming, but frustrating when you just can't find the right combination. That's how we wound up deciding to buy a year ahead of time when we found The One that was for us.
When you did your list did you come across any communities where you found single story houses or condos or a condo with elevator, 1800-2200sq ft with a large resort style pool? Would also like something on water (pond, lake, river, bay). I look at the listings and new home sites and so many are 2 story. I'd like to use it for summers since we live full time in FL. Prefer $200 - 300's but could go higher.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 PM

26 posts, read 31,393 times
We visited 15 communities as well a couple of weekends ago, narrowing it to 5, while learning of a few others to visit on our next trip. Our current list: Milton, Georgetown, Millville, Millsboro, Frankford, Ocean View and Dagsboro. We are interested in living near a city/town with diversity, so we are looking at stats from City-Data to get info. Any input is welcome

Old 11-02-2018, 06:54 AM

We started a notebook and took pictures as we visited each location. Picures of the sites gave us some perspective since many of the websites use artist renderings or model homes are landscaped although the rest of the community is still a construction site. After 4 days of 15 communities, so glad we had all that to refer to and refresh our memories. Glad we are starting now since a year (or 2) seem to be quite common in home shopping.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:49 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
When you did your list did you come across any communities where you found single story houses or condos or a condo with elevator, 1800-2200sq ft with a large resort style pool? Would also like something on water (pond, lake, river, bay). I look at the listings and new home sites and so many are 2 story. I'd like to use it for summers since we live full time in FL. Prefer $200 - 300's but could go higher.

I would say that most of the new home builders have several single story home floor plans, many with an option for a partial second floor. Among those we visited that had at least 1 and most had several are Capstone Homes, Lennar, Ryan, K Hovnanian, Schell Brothers, NV Homes, Fernmoor and Insight. The pictures of many of these homes LOOK like two story homes, but actually are not.

We looked only at new construction and of those we went to, most of them had fairly standard swimming pools, if they had a pool and clubhouse. Coastal Club in Lewes and Peninsula in Millsboro probably had the largest pools - both are fairly upscale and expensive communities.

Since you live full time in Florida, you may want to consider finding a realtor knowledgeable about the area to help you narrow the search for a visit to the area, as I think it's difficult to do that long distance. Best of luck to you in your search.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 PM

We are returning in a couple of weeks to visit Milton (Vines of Sandhill, Heritage Creek), Georgetown (Hawthorne) and Millsboro (Pelican Point, The Reserve at Stonewater, Liberty, Baylis Estates and Peninsula Point. We want to be near a town with diversity and some community activities and not just shopping malls. Any thoughts or input is much appreciated!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 10,096 times
From what I understand, construction at Peninsula Lakes is at a stop (again). Reportedly one of the builders (Schell) has taken the developer into litigation (again). Probably a good idea to avoid Peninsula Lakes for now (please note that while Peninsula Lakes is right outside The Peninsula, as far as I know they aren't affiliated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware