Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 PM

29 posts, read 133,568 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving from PA to DE this year (hopefully, if we can get our house sold). We have been down to the Long Neck area on several occasions to look at the mobile home communities there. Despite all I have read about the horrible traffic in the summer I still want to be "at the beach" which is why we are moving to DE in the first place. We really like Potnets Lakeside but I have read some negative posts about the owners. I would love to hear from someone who actually lives in Lakeside or any other Potnets community.....both positive and negative experiences. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,667,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean seeker View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving from PA to DE this year (hopefully, if we can get our house sold). We have been down to the Long Neck area on several occasions to look at the mobile home communities there. Despite all I have read about the horrible traffic in the summer I still want to be "at the beach" which is why we are moving to DE in the first place. We really like Potnets Lakeside but I have read some negative posts about the owners. I would love to hear from someone who actually lives in Lakeside or any other Potnets community.....both positive and negative experiences. Thanks!
I..don't..know..personally,,but..have..heard..the. .lot..rent..is..very..very..high
make..sure..you..read..the..fine..print.and..ask.. question.

Iam..having..key..board..probems..........that..sh ould..explain..the..dots..

try..Sussex..west..in..Lewes..or..colonial.east..
lot..rent..may..be..cheaper

also..when..you..visit..talk..to...the..people..th at..live..there..and..get..an..honest..opinion..ri ght..from..the..horses..mouth..

GOOD..LUCK

Old 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM

25 posts, read 126,040 times
I don't live there but have heard some bad things about lot rents jumping by the thousands over a period of time. Friends of ours found a place directly on the water not exactly sure which one right now. The seller was moving south and was looking to just get away asap. The deal seemed to good to be true, they did a little more research and found the lot rented would have quadrupled over 10 years. Obviously, they did'nt end up there. Since they have heard of several similar stories.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the information. We have looked at Sussex West and Colonial East but we really want to be in a water front community. I also have been to Rehoboth Bay and Mariners Cove. These communities are water front (bay) but seem to have lower lot rents. Of course they do not have the newer look that Lakeside has. I also have seen some houses on the internet for sale in White House Beach but we have not seen that community in person yet. The lot rents there seem very reasonable.

Is there anyone out there that lives in any of these communities that wants to share information?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM

51 posts, read 233,173 times
Our family had a place in Pot Nets Bayside (not waterfront) for 4 years, selling last year. The place is nice, quiet for the most part, kept up well with fairly good security. Had a boat slip for 3 years and only one instance of theft.
Now for the bad part, which is not really explained to you at settlement. There is a 5% cap on land rent increases each year, but my rent went from $3200 to $3900 the second year, 5%????? The way they explain it, it actually comes out. Then the big one, between the second year and 4 th, because they can relign to fair market value (I think that is what they called it) our rent went to $7200 a year. And we were part time residents, paying the same as full time but using much less of the amenities and services. Plus we were required to pay the same for trash pickup as everyone else. Your water and sewage bills keep coming reguardless of useage.
For some it is worth it as most of us can't come up with the money for the exorbant land costs. And maybe the cost evens out over the long haul (renting vs mortage), however there is nothing to leave to the kids.
Mr Tunnell had a gold mine for years but it seems greed won over and he traded it in for a diamond mine.
The only difference I can see in the area are a lot of empty lots and million dallar ponds.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean seeker View Post
Thanks for the information. We have looked at Sussex West and Colonial East but we really want to be in a water front community. I also have been to Rehoboth Bay and Mariners Cove. These communities are water front (bay) but seem to have lower lot rents. Of course they do not have the newer look that Lakeside has. I also have seen some houses on the internet for sale in White House Beach but we have not seen that community in person yet. The lot rents there seem very reasonable.

Is there anyone out there that lives in any of these communities that wants to share information?
My sister lives in Pots Nets.......When she moved there 4 yrs ago her lot rent was 4,000 in four more years it has gone to 8,000.......So one thousand a year!!! They told her before closing that it would barely go up each year........Ah Huh.........not the case.
If you don't mind living with the fear that every year you will go up one thousand.( using her example).......then sure it is a beautiful place at the shore.
I so wish she moved to Sussex West or Colonial East.
The owner ( of PN) does wonderful things for the town. But, he has left the older people on fixed incomes ........almost homeless.
I couldn't rent, lease or own a home in his community. Beautiful, gorgeous spaces, by the bay.........but.........always a big question mark as to what the cost will be per year.
Sorry to say this, but..........no matter the beauty.........I'd be in a park with owners who are loyal, honest, and make the homeowners happy.
These homeowners were usually found picketing by the front gate.......
Dare not pay your sewer bill late.......or you will have a certified letter on Friday telling you your home is in default by Monday.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHinDE View Post
I don't live there but have heard some bad things about lot rents jumping by the thousands over a period of time. Friends of ours found a place directly on the water not exactly sure which one right now. The seller was moving south and was looking to just get away asap. The deal seemed to good to be true, they did a little more research and found the lot rented would have quadrupled over 10 years. Obviously, they did'nt end up there. Since they have heard of several similar stories.
This is a common story there.............
It seems when the father owned the P/N that things were run quite nicely for all involved.
Hummmmm then the next generation of greed comes along, and only sees dollars.......Probably counting the books figures everyday.
All I see is heartbreak there.........and it is a complete shame.
But, the empty lots will then become rentable huge homes built by the owner and sold for a good penny, on the leased lot costing even more.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the information about Potnets. You all have confirmed what we have been hearing elsewhere and what I have seen in the for sale listings for houses in Potnets....inexpensive older homes on land lots going for 10 grand a year. I was wondering what that was about! Guess we will steer clear of Potnets!

Does anybody have any first hand information about White House Beach, Bay City or Rehoboth Bay communities?

I am so glad I found this forum and can get real information from the folks who actually live in the area.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,252,784 times
There is SO much for sale down there, I couldn't even begin to recommend a place. The sky's the limit! Here's just an example of one on the water:
2006 Doublewide w/ Garage
3BR/2BAground rent $5700 yr/ 475 mo
$84,900
There are also tons of properties for sale, very reasonably priced, in fee simple (own the land). It always amazes me that most people coming from out of state want to rent the land.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,841,918 times
Right one Delly-I want the security of owning the land my home sits on! I just don't get the point of paying exhorbitant fees for land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware