Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:41 PM

77 posts, read 101,549 times

Advertisements

We've been exploring the area for some time now and kind of like Milford. We've been reading up on it here in some of the threads. We visited West Shores but a little put off by comments here about the builder, and also that huge hospital looming over the community.

We're 60-ish and worry the community will be full of young families right when we're getting to that "Get the *#!@ off my lawn!" age :-) Actually the fear isn't the wonderful kids, but young parents with loud vehicles and parties.

Any other communities in/around that area? Any 55+?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:53 AM

405 posts, read 676,031 times
The Mists at Blairs Pond
The Retreat at Hazard's Hill

Old 12-04-2018, 06:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
We've been exploring the area for some time now and kind of like Milford. We've been reading up on it here in some of the threads. We visited West Shores but a little put off by comments here about the builder, and also that huge hospital looming over the community.

We're 60-ish and worry the community will be full of young families right when we're getting to that "Get the *#!@ off my lawn!" age :-) Actually the fear isn't the wonderful kids, but young parents with loud vehicles and parties.

Any other communities in/around that area? Any 55+?
While anything can happen in any community, (and we deliberately chose a non 55+ plus community), it has not been our experience that either the parents or the kids have been anything other than fabulous neighbors. You could live in a 55 plus community and have people that are annoying, too. Worry about construction and your local environment and forget about what you have no control over. Do your homework, visit the communities and when I say visit, I mean was around and chat with people. Ask questions and especially be careful about getting the financial questions answered to your satisfaction.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 AM

77 posts, read 101,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
While anything can happen in any community, (and we deliberately chose a non 55+ plus community), it has not been our experience that either the parents or the kids have been anything other than fabulous neighbors. You could live in a 55 plus community and have people that are annoying, too. Worry about construction and your local environment and forget about what you have no control over. Do your homework, visit the communities and when I say visit, I mean was around and chat with people. Ask questions and especially be careful about getting the financial questions answered to your satisfaction.
This is good advice. I got a bit carried away trying to be a comedian. I do enjoy having the kids around. We don't now and it's depressing around Halloween when nobody comes to the door. We visited one 55+ community and their resident "Condo Commander Codger" was out in the parking lot in his military regalia (old flight jacket, veteran's peaked cap, etc) questioning us as soon as we pulled up as to why we were there, etc. Sheesh.

Another question - what's with the high violent crime and property crime numbers for places like Milford and even Milton on sites like Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site
? They don't seem all that sketchy, even downtown.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2018 at 01:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 AM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
We also deliberately avoided the 55+ communities, as we like a mix of age ranges. In one 55+ community to see the model and it almost seemed like elder gangs roving the development, groups and hanging out on porches lol. I'm fairly social, but I don't want to be held captive either and I sensed these people had too much time on their hands.

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about the area in general to answer questions on crime numbers for Milton in particular. I have friends who live there that don't seem to have any problems at all and the downtown seems very nice to me.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:33 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Diver, your posts gave me a good laugh! My kind of humor . Anyway, to comment/answer your question:
We have friends in Milton and Milford. Don't live near the shady areas/section eight and you're pretty much good to go. Also avoid the shady areas at night. It's pretty much drug related crime going on and those involved in that lifestyle are pumping up the crime rates.

I am SO with you on wanting to avoid loud cars and parties. We live in an older development (newer home though) and we purposefully moved in here because it was full of retirees. We were only in our late 20's when we moved here in 2002 with my young son, but we did not want to be in a "young" development. Never had an issue with the families with kids though although there weren't many. Know what our biggest problem has been? Renters with criminal records and middle-aged weekenders, with middle-aged weekenders (40's-50's) being the biggest pain. I am saying this as a middle-aged person too. Our HOA has now banned renters with criminal records or renters not related to each other.

We are empty nesters, but we are very quiet, peaceful people and my husband works crazy shifts in a high stress law enforcement career. I have called the state police numerous times on middle-aged "I'm in Dewey Beach and I'm 21 all over again" weekenders who are partying and have about twenty of their idiot friends/family over making noise, blaring music, getting drunk/high, screaming, and coming and going all night. This tends to be a summer only issue. Be leery of homes with lots of cars on the weekend--rarely will this be a quiet home. This is not just an issue in my development; I have local friends nearby and they have had this issue as well.

We have a couple "Condo Commander Codgers" in here too (that really gave me a chuckle!) and yes....they can be nosy and annoying. They are good for info though! We have one next door and he seems to know everything going on, who is moving in, who left, who died, who just got fined by the HOA, etc. He literally has nothing else to do since retiring and he seems to always have the inside scoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware