Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,303 times

Advertisements

Are there any stark cultural differences between residents of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and residents of the State of Delaware? I go to the University of Delaware and can ride my bike to Maryland from my dorm in under 20 minutes. I'm in the northwestern corner of Delaware (Newark), but the vast majority of Delaware's land borders are shared with Maryland's eastern shore. I've often heard that residents of the Delmarva peninsula has vastly more in common with each other than they have differences, but I've never heard many details about it.

So, if you're from the region, what are the main cultural differences between DE and the East of Maryland? What makes living in one different from the other, and how do lifestyles vary between the two? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:49 AM

405 posts, read 675,948 times
No differences.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
No differences. We have much more in common with Maryland, than Pennsylvania/Philly, and New Jersey.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
You are no doubt meeting Delawareans from across the small state at UD. There remains a cultural divide that has traditionally been demarcated at the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. Those above the canal (where most of the people live) tend to be more culturally linked with Philadelphia while those below the canal (where most of the land lies) tend to be culturally affiliated with Delmarva.

This phenomenon remains true, but I am seeing shifts. With the growth of Middletown, attracting many people from northern New Castle County, Philadelphia is extending its reach into southern NCC. Now, the same thing is happening in Smyrna as that migration extends south. Additionally, the beach zip codes of Sussex County east of Route 113 are pulling in retirees from DC, Philly and NJ at a rapid pace. Those transplants have no historical identification with Delmarva and tend retain their urban ties. This plays out at times with pushback from aging locals who are unhappy that the culture around them is changing. They fail to recognize that cultures are dynamic, not static.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM

104 posts, read 148,607 times
Cheese Steaks vs Crab cakes?

Old 03-27-2019, 01:33 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Malt vinegar on french fries ?

Can't say I've ever seen malt vinegar at any Delaware fast food place or full service restaurant.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:24 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Malt vinegar on french fries ?

Can't say I've ever seen malt vinegar at any Delaware fast food place or full service restaurant.
Thrashers fries with malt vinegar in Rehoboth are pretty awesome:

https://www.yelp.co.nz/biz_photos/th...1gHyaL9UaSZwJw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware