Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:01 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
Thanks Charley. I've lived my 47 years on Long Island. I'm nervous about the move but excited at the same time. Delaware seems like Suffolk County, Long Island, New York was when I was little. I want to give that to my children. It seems like there is so much hustle and bustle here that they don't have time to enjoy their childhood. I want things to be easier for them.
You will find Kent county and Sussex pretty much to be the way it was in the 50's and 60's. We just love this about the area. Coming from Northeast Philly, this is a treat and we had NO problem adjusting to the ruralness.
You definately need a car. No sidewalks on the roads and lots of ditches.
But if you dont' drive, it is hard to get around.
This area is lower slower and being the impatient person I am, Adapting is a must. I'm doing it.
I find this part of Delaware to be diverse. All races and creeds. I love the Amish section over by Forest Ave. You ride the back roads and see the old time Amish farms. The people dress in their Amish clothing. It is so peaceful and serene.
Have you visited? Oh and everyone is so friendly. Back home, no one said hello to you unless they knew you. Here everyone nods and smiles.
Can't get much better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 02:03 PM

[ I'm with you about believing what I believe and never discussing it with others. It's just my business. Besides, I'd much rather talk about sports, restaurants, the beach, "Top Chef", the weather, the price of gas (outrageous, isn't it?), etc ...

Hope this helps.

Charley[/quote]

Hey Charley.......Ever heard of Pampered chef? Since you mentioned Top Chef.
I am interested in exploring their products. Trying to get a party. have to talk to MaryCh about that.
A girl in work sold this and the products were so cool. At that time, I didn't buy.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Well, the decrease in real estate taxes alone should make things easier for everyone in the family! I'm in Rockland and I'm paying almost $10,000 per year. When my time comes to leave, I won't miss the tax bill.

Charley

$10,000cough, choke, cough

Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Hey Charley.......Ever heard of Pampered chef? Since you mentioned Top Chef. I am interested in exploring their products. Trying to get a party. have to talk to MaryCh about that. A girl in work sold this and the products were so cool. At that time, I didn't buy.[/quote]

Pampered Chef makes good stuff, but very expensive.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM

243 posts, read 914,872 times
Hi elizamary. I haven't been to Delaware yet. I'm going next week for a few days. It sounds like everything I'm looking for. By the way, I forgot who asked about Pampered Chef and I can't see the posts when I reply. I think their products are great! They are expensive. The one thing I don't like about them is that if you need a replacement, you have to have the original receipt. I like tupperware better because they replace with no questions, no receipts.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Hey Charley.......Ever heard of Pampered chef? Since you mentioned Top Chef. I am interested in exploring their products. Trying to get a party. have to talk to MaryCh about that. A girl in work sold this and the products were so cool. At that time, I didn't buy.
Pampered Chef makes good stuff, but very expensive.[/quote]

Yes I figured as much. Home interior is the same thing. You can get a good deal. At work, everyone sold anything. wonder why the IRS is so screwed up??? Not anymore I'll bet
I bought a Thomas Kincaid picture for my living room on sale for $79. Of course, it is not an original. But who cares. I mean I don't.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 AM

About Pampered Chef. I love ice cream. Their scooper is tops. It makes scooping the hardest ice cream easy. I don't know how, but it seems to melt the ice cream around the scooper so you can scoop it out easier. One of my favorites. Their pizza stones and baking dishes are great too. The wierd thing about them is that they discolor easily, so I feel like they never quite get clean. This is because of the material they are made out of and the cleaning process. I know people wh have them and swear by them.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 AM

271 posts, read 995,660 times
movn2del,

Just to let you know that, though our children are now grown, they had several best friends here in Dover who were Jewish, and two of their favorite teachers were Jewish as well. I know one of those teachers still lives in Dover and contributes greatly to the community.

For anyone of Unitarian persuasion, or with a possible interest, I noticed in a recent Dover Post that there is a start up fellowship (UU) and they will be meeting at Beth Shalom on Sunday mornings.

Annie

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
movn2del,

Just to let you know that, though our children are now grown, they had several best friends here in Dover who were Jewish, and two of their favorite teachers were Jewish as well. I know one of those teachers still lives in Dover and contributes greatly to the community.

For anyone of Unitarian persuasion, or with a possible interest, I noticed in a recent Dover Post that there is a start up fellowship (UU) and they will be meeting at Beth Shalom on Sunday mornings.

Annie
That's interesting that a UU fellowship would meet at a Jewish house of worship. I guess they need to start somewhere. Thanks annieblue. It's nice to know that I won't be alone.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times
When I grew up in Delaware, I have to say i grew up with VERY LITTLE jews.

Because of that, I would have to say the whole antisemitism is very little or nonexistent.

I grew up honestly having heard about jews but not knowing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware