U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

I will be moving for work from Paris, France to Wilmington, DE for two years. I saw some of the earlier threads about Wilmington and the suburbs, but they are either much older or do not address all of my specifications. So here it goes:

1) Budget: 1 bedroom, up to $1500
2) I am a 28 year old single man and do not have a family or children, so I do not care about the quality of schools
3) I will be working in center city Wilmington and would prefer my commute to be up to 20 minutes with traffic
4) I don't really go out to bars, but I would like to be relatively close to restaurants
5) I am obviously looking for a safe neighborhood, but I am used to big city noises so I don't mind them. Some people confuse perception of safety with actual safety. If a neighborhood feels unsafe but the data shows that it is actually safe, I am in
6) I understand it's a small city compared to a metropolis like Paris (and have adjusted my expectations accordingly), but a neighborhood or at least a building with some character would be a plus. I don't love ultra-gentrified buildings that resemble hotels. I don't need there to be valet parking or a swimming pool, and again, I won't be bar hopping.

Let me know if my expectations are unrealistic and why. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 PM

320 posts, read 316,885 times
I think you'll be looking at Trolley Square..... be ready for a culture shock.... as you stated yourself.....

Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 AM

8,160 posts, read 11,811,928 times
I was in Christina Landing (apartments) a couple of months ago, on the 23rd floor. The one-bedroom unit rents for a little less than $1,350. I don't know if there's a waiting list, because this place is in demand. If I was apartment looking, that would be where I would move. I don't think it resembles a hotel, like you mentioned. Here's the web site.
https://residencesatchristinalanding.com/gallery/

Last edited by rdlr; 12-01-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 AM

7,533 posts, read 8,685,301 times
There’s been a lot of new development along the Christina River in the last 25 years, but the area is a bit sterile. I agree with the poster who suggested the Trolley Square neighborhood, which has the most character in the city, for my money. I lived there in my mid-20s and again in my early 30s. This was in the 1980s. While things were more boring then, it is still a fairly quiet place but is safe. And, you will have the advantage of being able to walk to work from there, if you choose.

No, Wilmington doesn’t measure up to Paris. In fact, it doesn’t even measure up to Richmond, Virginia. But I find parts of the city pretty, with the surrounding countryside more so. And should you feel the need to escape to a larger city, Philadelphia is about 40 minutes up the road and NYC and DC can be reach via train in about a 2 hours.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-02-2019 at 03:00 AM..

Old 12-02-2019, 08:58 PM

18 posts, read 8,382 times
I wouldn't do this if I were you. Can you back out? 2 years is a loooong time to spend in a place like Wilmington.

$1500 is of course very doable. The city is very cheap (but there's a reason for that). The Riverfront is ok and some of the buildings around 7/8/9 and Market are nicer.

Also, Wilmington neighborhoods don't just seem unsafe. They ARE unsafe. The city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, and my colleagues have routinely had their cars broken into even in the "nicer" parts of town.

If you really have to serve a two year sentence here, pick the most expensive luxury building you can, and take the Amtrak out of town every weekend.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:03 PM

320 posts, read 316,885 times
Why would you need an Amtrak?

..... The poster could potentially do the reverse commute.... aka live in Philly and work in Delaware........ That is if they wanted a more urban lifestyle of a larger American city......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: