U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 07:21 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,859,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
O.K. You convinced me. I'm stayin'. Happy New Year!
To you and Mr. Rdlr. Happy New Year too. Don't celebrate too hard. I am in the car to visit family tomorrow and will be back on Thursday. I already wish I were back, I miss here already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 06:44 AM

29 posts, read 14,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will respectfully disagree . . . My disagreement is that I believe it comes down to what you are currently paying in taxes. The taxes here adding in garbage and sewer (I am in an unincorporated area) plus my HOA fees and I am still over $7k in my pocket.

You actually don't disagree with Elizabeth224 or me at all, because that is exactly what we said: that whether the tax bill is enough to be a factor in a relocation decision is a matter of individual circumstance (but that one should be careful to compare apples to apples.) You had been living in a super-high-tax area; Elizabeth224 and I are just in a, ummm, very-high-tax area. For us, depending on specifically what new locations, and what housing, we are looking at, it is more likely than for you that a move will be closer to a "wash," in terms of expenses paid for (either directly, or via taxes.)

Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM

78 posts, read 130,383 times
Hello, as for DE, there seems to be a litter issue, and then you have the chicken farms that are dilapidated. But you get what you pay for, I'm in Dagsboro. But take a look at Ocean View, nice place, no trash on the roadsides and code enforcement for run down properties.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:54 AM

8,164 posts, read 11,814,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Hello, as for DE, there seems to be a litter issue, and then you have the chicken farms that are dilapidated. But you get what you pay for, I'm in Dagsboro. But take a look at Ocean View, nice place, no trash on the roadsides and code enforcement for run down properties.
I wouldn't be knocking Delaware's chicken industry. It's always been our livelihood.
https://www.delawarebusinesstimes.co...ltry-industry/

Old 12-30-2019, 01:54 PM

No not doing that, but if the old wooden poultry building is not being used and is 1000 years old, you would think the owner would demolish it, instead of it being an eyesore.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 11,814,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
No not doing that, but if the old wooden poultry building is not being used and is 1000 years old, you would think the owner would demolish it, instead of it being an eyesore.
Maybe, but it's his land and it's a rural area. Besides, he may like that building. I remember we built a new home in the country and a junk yard sprung up across the street from us. Zoning was fine, and the junk yard was partially fenced, so we had to live with it. On the other side of us was a cow farm, and they spread liquid manure twice a year on their land. So, we sold our 160 acre farm and moved into a small town. So now we live next to some sort of workshop center. They whoop, holler, and bang on drums pretty frequently, day and night. So, I'll trade places with you and look at the old poultry building.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:23 PM

No rdlr, I'm good, I will just wait them out, after a million years it will be part of the earth. But one would think they would have some couth (showing or having good manners or sophistication) and get rid of the eyesore.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:13 AM

29,041 posts, read 28,024,285 times
Maybe they'll compromise and paint a Mail Pouch Tobacco sign on the side.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:33 PM

1,649 posts, read 4,619,996 times
Hello, Everyone! It's been a very long time since I dropped in and began reading about property in SLD or LSD or whatever is politically correct these days. I'm curious. How many of the new HOAs and POAs sell deeded lots to owners? Are the old ways still around? Owner of development keeps the land, homeowner pays rent for decades, developer finds land is worth more than they are collecting in rent, sells land...homeowner kaput. I'm sure rdlr is up on this stuff. We began going to Bethany Beach in 1958. It was so quaint...if quaint is very little choice to grocery shop, no doctors or dentists, and bipeds were only see in the summer. We built a vacation home just outside of Ocean View...north ....in 1989. I only had that 'perfect place' part time, but it was wonderful!

We did some major renovation to the house over the last several years. My yearly tax bill is around $1300. That is for county and school. Is there too much building without up grading infrastructure? Oh....yeah. But, keep in mind the zoning board is seated with representatives from all areas of Sussex County. The population along the beaches is at the mercy of those reps who are from the western part of the county. No overcrowding on that side of the state, but more development in the east sends the revenue/increased taxes to the west side as well.

The trash is not included in the services nor is the sewer. That is a separate billing to a private hauler and the county. Each is around $70-$80 a quarter. We still have well water so there isn't a water bill, which I understand can be costly. Our development does not have an association, so there are no HOA fees.

In Pennsylvania I'm paying over $4000.00 in property taxes a year....for a not-so- big condo in York County. That does not include trash or sewer...they are nearly $300.00 a quarter. HOA fee is $190.00 a month...with a recent assessment of $1500. for roads. If it weren't for the grandkids, I'd be outta the condo and on my way to DE.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:32 PM

139 posts, read 394,972 times
The P & Z just approved a preliminary zoning to a 610 units development. Traffic on Route 9 is going to be fun in the summer.

http://https://www.capegazette.com/article/sussex-pz-approves-large-subdivision-near-georgetown/195220
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware