Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 165,676 times

Advertisements

Hello, who or what agency would you ask for lighting on the road? I live off of iron branch rd in dagsboro and some of the road has street light and the other half does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
State, County or Town road?

The public works department/highway administration of whichever jurisdiction is responsible for the road.

There is a formula for when and where streetlights are placed.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:33 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
According to Google Maps, it's a county road.

I took a peek at the Sussex County website, but it didn't say anything about street lighting. But the DelDOT page does have something about it. I'm not sure if DelDOT covers only state roads or if they're responsible for all street lighting, but I would start with them.

https://deldot.gov/Traffic/ReportRoa...on/index.shtml

Old 01-28-2020, 05:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Gee first the garbage and now the street lights, Can you move? No one should be that unhappy with where they live.

https://ecode360.com/8882503

Contact the County engineer.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:51 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Hello, who or what agency would you ask for lighting on the road? I live off of iron branch rd in dagsboro and some of the road has street light and the other half does not.
street lights would just illuminate all the mountains of trash along the side of the roads...you don't want that...

Old 01-28-2020, 12:15 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Gee first the garbage and now the street lights, Can you move? No one should be that unhappy with where they live.

https://ecode360.com/8882503

Contact the County engineer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Wait a second. Did you just move there?

If so, you're the "new guy" who comes in and starts agitating for things the long time residents may not either want or need?

If it's a rural or semi-rural road you're not going to get lights, especially if you start without involving your neighbors, who likely don't want them.

What's next? Sidewalks?

Old 01-28-2020, 01:30 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wait a second. Did you just move there?

If so, you're the "new guy" who comes in and starts agitating for things the long time residents may not either want or need?

If it's a rural or semi-rural road you're not going to get lights, especially if you start without involving your neighbors, who likely don't want them.

What's next? Sidewalks?
haha I said recently this is my biggest fear about people moving to a rural area I'm looking at

Old 01-28-2020, 03:47 PM

829 posts, read 628,994 times
When we did our home search, we took note of the infrastructure of both the community and the surrounding area. We came from living in the suburbs of a fairly large city, where most of the streets have lights. When we considered moving here, we realized that if Route 24/John J. Williams Highway and Route 113 didn't have street lights, it was mighty unlikely the road to our development would have or get them and neither would our development - unless our builder put them in.

We had a lot of reasons for moving to DE, with lower taxes, a one story home and a more laid back lifestyle with a small town feel among them. We understood and accepted that when you move, your new area is not going to be just like the one you left - it's going to be different. In the case of this part of DE, street lights other than in commercial areas is one of those differences. If you do your research and pay attention to detail, there won't be as many surprises when you relocate.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:41 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
more services equals more taxes..

Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 AM

307 posts, read 297,049 times
I think your rep, Gerald Hocker. He owns G&E/Hockers over in Ocean View. I dunno if he'd be responsive. His political involvement was strategical to prevent certain encroachments to family business. Hockers (the store) is a bit of a unique grocery store since you can buy (very good) steaks, seafood, plumbing supplies and guns there. I worked at the original store for a few years when I was a kid. Its basically a landmark of the community. As for Iron Branch, I know the road well and my dad used to have an auto shop near what was the Vlasic Pickle plant. Its always been a shady road, but it gets a bit of traffic as a cut through. Perhaps they can shed some light on the drug dealers that live down that way.

Dunno if Mark Steele still lives down that way but he used to live off Rd 332. He is the IRHS Superintendent. Dunno if that makes a difference.

With all the revenue that one light street makes writing tickets for tourists in their speed trap, you'd think they could do a little better improvement for the people. They make a lot of money off that beach. Dont let the disheveled look of the town fool you. I know somebody who was run over by a car in front of the Dagsboro theater because of the poor lighting there 20 years ago and its not been much improved since.

The biggest fear Sussex county has is change unless its putting money in the good 'ole boys pockets. Its also their biggest weakness. Just consider how corrupt Mediacom is and ask yourself how is this place still in business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware