U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM

49 posts, read 58,764 times

Advertisements

The racism topic is being used in a lot of places to hide the real problem - money.

I grew up in Sussex in the second half of my adolescence. Before that, I lived in a small town in South Carolina. Delaware's "racism" is weaksauce compared to SC. Down state is very rural and poor because it refuses change or innovation that doesnt enrich a select few entities. Most of the rural farms are corporate-backed chicken related operations or typical monocrop soy/corn/wheat type grown for animal feed. Its issues are more about the poor infrastructure behind education that hurts Slower Lower. There are also a LOT of drug issues there because its poverty inland and "party town" at the beach. I am not exaggerating to say that I've known at least 10 people (of all walks) in Sussex that have died from opioids.

It can be a quiet life, but its not made for the people who are stuck living there. They are driven to attract retirees. There are few jobs, and most of those wont pay much of a living wage outside of the health industry.

There are a few Chinese-made trump flags in a few locations in front of farms and businesses, but at its worst, can only last 4 more years. They're being used to troll people and you just have to look beyond it. I wanted to live down state, but the jobs scene is abysmal and the housing isn't any cheaper. It has still grown considerably, but its an implosion. Its hard to understand until you've spent some time there.

If you want to talk about slavery history, look up Maryland's Eastern Shore. Some of that history may blow your mind.

Dover has a constant influx due to the AF base, but its not really done much in the past decade either. Its added a lot of check cashing places I've noticed. Thats not a good sign. Its kinda boring. NCC is being flooded with property tax refugees and retirees from bordering states making this place super crowded and expensive too. Its basically an exit off 95. At least from NCC, you can reach many other places in a reasonable time.

I've lived in all 3 counties. Delaware is the last state to adopt new ideas. I'd rent before committing to a house you might not be able to sell. DE really needs some road improvements.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 AM

7,283 posts, read 11,926,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Comfort and safety are also important to white families.
I'd say nothing is more important.But white people don't have to sorry about the racism part.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:03 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,356,408 times
I agree with everything in Udelslayer's post. It's all true. Every last bit, and I am saying this as a 45-year-old DE native with family in all three counties.

I graduated from Sussex Central High and my husband graduated from Seaford High. We both graduated back in the early 90's when the crack cocaine epidemic made national news and hit our schools hard. There was rampant poverty and the drugs that came with it in our schools. My husband has worked in law enforcement since the late 90's and has dealt with so many of our classmates. I've lost count. Oh, and overdoses? Seems we lose a former high school classmate every couple weeks, and that's just the ones I hear about. Many others have serious health issues (think needing organ transplants) due to all the drugs they've used.

I'm pretty sheltered from poverty and drugs where I live, but we still have an addict here and there. It's typically somebody in their 30's-40's still living at home and they eventually succumb to their drug use or wind up in prison. They usually don't last very long once they get on the hard drugs and have lived with permissive parents all their lives.

Most homeowners in my area are elderly or have done fairly well (or very well) in life and they aren't really into the life of drugs and crime. For this, I am very thankful.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:23 PM

319 posts, read 90,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'd say nothing is more important.But white people don't have to sorry about the racism part.
The scary part about your post is that you probably really believe that.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:53 PM

10,200 posts, read 12,891,375 times
I am gettin old for sure. I read UDELSLAYER and the seconding by BEACHLIZ, and I think of how I speak about where I am from and it is pretty much the same. While it may well be true, all I can hear ringing in my head is our parents saying how much better things were in their day.

Drugs are all over and ditto for gangs on Long Island, although I lived in a nice area we are still "relatively" untouched by gangs and hard drugs. That said, we always comment how much the area has changed and not for the better. I think it is just a part of our perception as we age that things were always better back when. Admittedly, things do change and sometimes it truly is not for the better.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 29,827,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameerati View Post
Hello All,
I hope this finds you all well. I was hoping to go to Oklahoma, but due to family obligations the move to the mid-west is not in the best interest for us.

I was looking at the state of Delaware, due to the location being not too far from Virginia where my family is, but I am also close to other family members without being neighbors. (They are located in South Jersey)

I am curious about the diversity of the state? Is there opportunities for people of color? Such as starting a business? How is the mood towards interracial couple/interracial couple? Especially in the area of Middletown and surrounding area.

~ Ameerati
Let’s get back to the OP please^^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:18 PM

4,805 posts, read 3,387,245 times
closed for mod review
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a troll?
Political Leanings of Publications

Old 01-29-2020, 09:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 29,827,974 times
Thread reviewed. It will stay closed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware