U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,604 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I hope this finds you all well. I was hoping to go to Oklahoma, but due to family obligations the move to the mid-west is not in the best interest for us.

I was looking at the state of Delaware, due to the location being not too far from Virginia where my family is, but I am also close to other family members without being neighbors. (They are located in South Jersey)

I am curious about the diversity of the state? Is there opportunities for people of color? Such as starting a business? How is the mood towards interracial couple/interracial couple? Especially in the area of Middletown and surrounding area.

~ Ameerati
Rate this post positively

Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM

11,922 posts, read 21,917,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameerati View Post
....I am curious about the diversity of the state? Is there opportunities for people of color? Such as starting a business? How is the mood towards interracial couple/interracial couple? Especially in the area of Middletown and surrounding area.

~ Ameerati
See the profile of Middletown Here: //www.city-data.com/city/Middletown-Delaware.html

The population is quite diverse: about 58% white, 28% black, 7% Hispanic, etc. Also 2.4% of households have two or more races, so you are not unique.

Delaware has a reputaion of being business friendly, but I think you should research the need for the specific kind of business you want.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 3,994,667 times
Delaware is a solid state for POC. Good diversity and business friendly in an almost entirely suburban setting.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:55 AM

1,226 posts, read 560,933 times
Delaware has a reputaion of being business friendly, but I think you should research the need for the specific kind of business you want.

Delaware's "business friendly" reputation is for large corporations not small businesses run by POC. The reason it is called business friendly is because it has a unique Chancery Court which allows for swift decisions on corporate matters, no other reason. Small business is not part of this reputation.

The farther north the better for POC although Dover has a historical black college Del State (I think it may be a university now) and Dover Air Base, both of which contribute to better atmosphere for POC but it's not arms open wide.

Newark especially, as it's a college town, would be friendlier to POC. Don't move to a small DE town and expect the Welcome Wagon. My 2 cents

Old 01-11-2020, 12:32 PM

319 posts, read 91,466 times
My in-laws live in a new develop in Middletown.

We went to a party at their house last summer and their neighbors were from all kinds of different demographics - including African-Americans.

They all had one thing in common - they were all civilized.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,373,936 times
These posts are so strange, and they show up in every state forum. Why would POC not be welcome in Delaware or any other state?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 AM

7,312 posts, read 11,956,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
These posts are so strange, and they show up in every state forum. Why would POC not be welcome in Delaware or any other state?
Certain places are more racist than others. Comfort and safety is important to seek advice on when you or your family aren't white.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 PM

905 posts, read 448,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Recently taking a back road out of Ocean View, we saw a couple of houses flying Confederate flags and Trump flags.

I would say that's making some sort of statement.

Speaking as a former military wife, I agree with the poster who said that the area around Dover would be more accepting of all minorities.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 PM

1,226 posts, read 560,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Recently taking a back road out of Ocean View, we saw a couple of houses flying Confederate flags and Trump flags.

I would say that's making some sort of statement.

Speaking as a former military wife, I agree with the poster who said that the area around Dover would be more accepting of all minorities.
Southern Delaware went with the Confederacy in the "War between the States". Delaware was a slave state. Escaping slaves had to make it to Philadelphia to be safe and even then were not truly safe as they could be kidnapped back.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:28 PM

319 posts, read 91,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Certain places are more racist than others. Comfort and safety is important to seek advice on when you or your family aren't white.
You're right - certain places are more racist than others. And violent.

Comfort and safety are also important to white families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware