Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 PM

405 posts, read 1,374,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Laurel.......I'm so happy for you I know it's been tough going back and forth. So glad you found just what you want.
Middletown is not that far. Maybe you can meet us for lunch one day. I know I would love to meet you.
Yep it's been so stressful, I'm still biting my nails hoping it's the right house. I don't know it's me or all the meds my docs have me on that's making me so over the top anxious about everything. I mean I should be happy, we found a home, all the dogs are allowed, we have a 2 week escrow, there is nothing that has to be fixed in the house, the backyard is already fenced, and the basement is 1/2 finished. But I'm still anxious. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Oh I forgot to say I would love to come to lunch with you guys one of these days soon.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
It's a change and I think coupled w/ a bit of the unknown has to be nervewracking (maybe that's why we havent moved in many years, LOL), now Im just in a procrastination mode, LOL. Couldnt have been easy w/ the dogs either but you did it. The worst is behind you - all that distance you came - and better days are ahead. Won't be long now - you'll do just fine (although I don't envy you all the unpacking, argh!). Do you still have stuff in CA or is it all w/ you in DE? Anyway, before you know it you'll know your way around like the best of 'em (my fear is making a wrong turn and getting lost even though I've been here ages which is prob. why I don't drive to new places, that said there's plenty of stores and things in this area so I'm not at a loss - here anyway!) Sorry so rambly but you get my drift ;-)

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 PM

81 posts, read 492,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Ok here is my reason for moving to Delaware. People think I'm insane because I moved from southern Calif, but nearly 10 years was enough for us and wanted to get out.

1. I have all my family up and down the east coast
2. Low property taxes,compared to PA, NY, NJ which are insane
3. No sales tax
4. We lived in a city the same size as Middletown, according to Sperlings Best Places to live there are 10,272 people as of 2007. Where I lived in Mission Viejo, there are over 90,000.
5. Traffic is the worse in the country where I lived
6. People...most are superficial, they are way to concerned about their looks, what they drive, and where they live. In Delaware they are real people.
7. For me the weather was to hot.
8. People were to busy for each other in Calif, people actually strike up conversations here.
9. I love the open space and farm land.
10. You don't know your neighbors in CA.
11. The weather seems to be milder than PA and NY, not as much snow.
12. Here is one of the main reasons, it is near everything, you can easily get to NY, NJ, MD, PA etc. Philly airport is near by you can fly out to anywhere.
We don't plan to sit in Middletown we plan to go out an explore the east coast and DE is our homebase. But we do plan on making some good friends that will keep us in town more often than not.
I guess being from here you take things for granted. Congrats on the new home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
The uncertainty is over, Im very happy for you. Having never been to CA, it's not on my 'short' list, LOL, am not even tempted (although Im sure it's a great place to visit). Anyway, hope your moving day goes smoothly, w/o a hitch. I don't mind driving here and there (which we all do at times) but am trying reduce some of it w/ the high cost of gas (cost over $50 to fill up the car last week and gas will probably keep going up), too bad golf carts and bikes arent an option here, LOL! Anyway, glad you found a place to hang your hat, Im sure you won't miss the KOA!
I love your username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Yippee, Laural... wondered how the house hunting was progressing! Would offer to help you lift and tote, but (shucks), I'm sure I have appointments next Wednesday! Besides, I still have plenty of my own chores backing up right now! Will keep you all in mind next week, and hope for good weather!

dsdumpling... our family (or at least part of it) are transplants to DE as well. As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, I and our younger 2 children moved to central DE from central NC for, believe it or not, the public schools. Our 13 yr old middle schooler has autism, and the DAP is an excellent program, in my opinion. The downside of this move was leaving our older 2 kids back in NC; one in college, the other still in high school. But THAT was a family sacrifice that everyone had a vote in, so to speak.

My in-laws, die hard New Yorkers on Long Island, still can't figure out why we came to DE. But then again, looking at the bigger picture, just about everything we want and need for our little family is right here. Hubby and I (and some of the kids, depending on when, and where) have lived in several states on the east coast... NY, VA, NC and CT.

Like elizamary, we too researched SEVERAL states prior to deciding on DE... mainly because of autism. City Data was one forum I frequented, along with several parent forums discussing education. All in all, we are very happy we chose DE to try. There are very few things we would change about where we landed (Camden Wyoming area); but only small things that would be good for all locals, not just us or our unique family situation. Do we want tons more shopping centers? Heck no! Personally, I enjoy the drives (in spite of the gas prices) to explore DE, shop a bit (I am VERY frugal), etc.

I do know, in my old age, one can feel trapped in an area no matter where you live. The kids and I were in NC for almost 15 years; and I never felt so trapped in a situation in my life! We rolled some very big dice in choosing DE; and so far, life has never been better. We work hard, live nicely, but try to respect others and their God given right to be different. What a boring world this would be if everyone wanted the same thing from life!

Being a military brat myself, I have always tried to look at life as an adventure... one to dread or to embrace as each individual chooses. I choose to embrace every day of my life.

Mary
Thanks Mary. Your family has sacrificed a lot...it's amazing.

Quote:
DSdumpling, we drove across country from CA in our RV, we were staying at Lums Pond campground, then moved up to PA and we are staying at a KOA still in our RV. We've been in our RV since beginning of March, we did fly out the end of Feb thought we bought a home but it fell thru on the sellers side, so we drove out here and have been looking ever since. Homes have been very slow to come on the market, I suspect people are only putting their houses on the market if they have to move due to relocation or if they are over their heads. But we finally found a home, have a 2 week escrow, and can move in next Wed.

Being from the west coast (well l lived on the west coast most of my life born NYC), EVERYTHING looks different to me, houses, buildings, landscaping, people, clothes, food, weather, clouds, bugs, traffic lights, so if your driving with me, you'll hear me say every few minutes WOW look at that, Wow look at that. Wow look at that
Wide eyed amazement, eh? That's great.

You know, I don't realize just how great little 'ol Delaware is.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Do you still have stuff in CA or is it all w/ you in DE? Anyway, before you know it you'll know your way around like the best of 'em (my fear is making a wrong turn and getting lost even though I've been here ages which is prob. why I don't drive to new places, that said there's plenty of stores and things in this area so I'm not at a loss - here anyway!) Sorry so rambly but you get my drift ;-)
All are stuff is still in CA we are waiting for the moving and storage people to get back to us on when they can bring it out.

As soon as I get a vehicle I'm getting GPS. Hubby has it on his truck and I love the thing, no maps or written directions to fumble with.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,252,784 times
Quote:
As soon as I get a vehicle I'm getting GPS. Hubby has it on his truck and I love the thing, no maps or written directions to fumble with.
You shouldn't have much of a problem getting around in Delaware, coming from a larger state. Delaware is only 96 miles long, and between 9 and 35 miles wide, at the widest point. I travel from one end to the other, criss-cross, a few times a week for my business. It's not unusual for me to work in Brandywine Hundred in the morning, Whiteleysburg (west of Harrington) by lunch time, and Bethany Beach in the afternoon.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:37 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,417,590 times
We have a GPS but I'm nervous using the darn thing. My hubby loves it though and it's saved many an argument (him thinking I got us lost,LOL).
Laural, I'm sure all will go smoothly, I bet the movers will be done before you know it, then the fun part comes (ha!), arranging your furniture etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 AM

64 posts, read 141,287 times
Delaware is great, i like it here, "the walmart of the east coast" IT IS CHEAP! to live here. If i had my choice though, i may be living in AZ or out west, beautiful states...

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 AM

271 posts, read 995,190 times
I'm enjoying all these posts. I hope no one is offended that I seem to be one of the few posters who is planning to move away from Delaware. We think it won't be for two years, and if a couple things change in important (for us) ways, we may not move at all. We've been here for over 30 years, and have lots of memories.

Chase, I agree that there are some beautiful states out west. Our favorite may be Wyoming. Amazing scenery, amazing wild horses. Wouldn't move there, but wonderful places to visit. I like northern New England too, but there are problems with moving in that direction.

Honeycrisp, I've never been afraid to get lost in Delaware, or anywhere on the Delmarva for that matter! It's a penninsula, get too lost and you'll just drive into the ocean. Then you can turn around, cross to the other side, and drive into the bay!

Laural, even though we haven't moved for a long time, I remember well how stressful it is. Time helps. I read through a few posts swiftly, not a lot of time available most days, but I know you moved from CA--southern CA, I think? I lived in the San Francisco area and around Monterey (and a bit south of), for brief periods in both cases. I must say that I loved those parts of California, but the days of being able to afford the wonderful areas of CA are long past!

Elizamary, PA suggested that I get in touch with you if I might be able to join your fascinating group for lunch on Friday. PA asked me once before, but I couldn't and, unfortunately for me, can't this week either. I left a DM for her return.

MaryCh, I can relate to a number of the things you say, believe it or not, but some of this, I don't feel free to discuss online. On the subject of whether we want "tons more shopping centers", I'm with you--heck no! But, as I said earlier, a certain few stores would be nice indeed. As we age--no, I'm not a senior yet, but close!--I like driving up and down the state less and less. We have visited a few Whole Foods (not in DE, of course) and found that we could get good buys on some of the things we use frequently, and that the products were high quality. My husband says that when we do move, he wants a Whole Foods just down the street. Don't know that I'll require that. It seems to me that years ago a lot more Amish had small stands near their farms, and we were able to buy wonderful, organic produce--as local as you can get. Now we don't see these stands often at all, though we'll be looking again this summer.

Annie

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 AM

903 posts, read 3,504,567 times
Annie,

I think I can speak for most of the regular posters in saying no one is offended in your choice to move away. The moving into and out of an area is all part of what makes any area beat with life! By all means, you will do what YOU have to do, for your own reasons!

Please continue to post, even if you do move away! There have been a few others that were regulars that, for whatever reason, don't post since moving to other areas. That part is tough for us newbies, as they (like Delly, and you, and dsdumpling) give us all a view of DE in days gone by! Our family is one of the odd ones that has traveled through DE for years; hubby was in the Navy in Norfolk, and his family is in NY so we've done the Route 13 trip many times over the last 20+ years. But as everyone knows... passing through, seeing the scenery, etc., is nothing like moving in and making somewhere HOME.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware