Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
But the good new is, the transplants are out numbering the born delawarians.
Yes, you are, ElizaMary. Locals are few and far between in the State of Delaware, these days. As I said, it's called "Progress". It won't be long before Delaware will be just like the states everybody left for a better life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
It won't be long before Delaware will be just like the states everybody left for a better life!
I don't know about that Delly, we've had nothing but a positive experience here, people have been over the top friendly, every waiter, store clerk, bank person etc has been bend over backward helpful. We love the open space, and we deal with less traffic here and we even like the weather, back home this week it was 90 degrees, eek, to hot for me! I love wearing my jean jacket, it use to just sit in my closet. Dare I say the food is better on this coast.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
I don't know about that Delly, we've had nothing but a positive experience here, people have been over the top friendly, every waiter, store clerk, bank person etc has been bend over backward helpful. We love the open space, and we deal with less traffic here and we even like the weather, back home this week it was 90 degrees, eek, to hot for me! I love wearing my jean jacket, it use to just sit in my closet. Dare I say the food is better on this coast.

I also have found the people in DE to be friendly. I think some just don't want change and resent people moving to De. I say, isnt' that a darn shame cuz we are here and more are coming so move over folks.
I think the ones that don't want the change are very few and far between.
Like Charley says, if you are a nice person and treat people fine, there should be no problem. No one wants to be judge by the state they are from.
No one wants to be pre judged and it isn't fair to do so.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
I also have found the people in DE to be friendly. I think some just don't want change and resent people moving to De. I say, isnt' that a darn shame cuz we are here and more are coming so move over folks.
I think the ones that don't want the change are very few and far between.
Like Charley says, if you are a nice person and treat people fine, there should be no problem. No one wants to be judge by the state they are from.
No one wants to be pre judged and it isn't fair to do so.
I agree. Nice people are nice, wherever they are from. And the same for jerks. I've met some wonderful people from other states, and some not-so wonderful. Same for locals....there are both kinds, needless to say. As a business person relying on a steady influx of people, there's no better place to be!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I think some just don't want change and resent people moving to De. I say, isnt' that a darn shame cuz we are here and more are coming so move over folks.
Amen sister!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Amen sister!
Back atcha sis

Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 PM

By the way Elizamary I liked your airport excuse, she must be one tough kid to kidnap a grown woman

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
By the way Elizamary I liked your airport excuse, she must be one tough kid to kidnap a grown woman
Oh she is and I'm not lying. One tough little five year old. her little personality is so cute. She just made me a necklace made out of paper clips. All pink.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Oh she is and I'm not lying. One tough little five year old. her little personality is so cute. She just made me a necklace made out of paper clips. All pink.
Awww how precious, I bet she was very proud of her creation too.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Gee, as a potential transplant, maybe I can't be as happy here as I thought I might be. I hate to say this, but if your view is similar to that of other native Delawareans, maybe I'm doomed before I start.

I believe that I can blend in anywhere and be a good neighbor and good citizen, but if I've already been pre-judged, that could pose a serious problem. If I move at around age 60, we're talking about 20, 25, maybe 30 years in my new state. That could be a hard life if I'm not wanted.

Charley
I've been giving this a lot of thought since yesterday. When I come to Delaware, I'm buying a house. I'll pay a nice transfer tax to the Delaware economy and when I shop and entertain myself, I'll be supporting the business community as well. I'll re-register my cars and pay the tariff ... and once a year, I'll pay my taxes to Delaware even though we earned our money in New York. I think I might actually be a good thing for the state.

I'm not looking to change anything. I'm coming to Delaware because I like the state the way it is. I don't want to make it over as a second New York. If I liked it in New York, I'd stay in New York. I've chosen Delaware because it's the kind of place in which I want to live and I don't want to change it.

I am aware that enough transplants like me will cause new roads and intrastructure to be built, adding traffic and noise. I am also aware that there will be a percentage of people who come to Delaware who are not the nicest people in the world - but I'll bet there are a few there who've already been there for life who aren't all that nice to begin with.

I think that on the whole, my relocation to Delaware will be a positive thing for my wife and I and for whatever new friends we make, whether native or transplant. For those who might chose not to befriend me because I'm a newcomer, all I can say it they'll never know what they're missing.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware