Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 491,418 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Delaware all my life. Why would anyone want to move here? I live in Millsboro and would rather be anywhere but here.

So tell me folks that want to move here...why?

Sussex County is not very welcoming to new folks. I think for the most part we resent folks coming here and wanting to change things just like where you left. *shrugs* I can't imagine moving here.

Have you ever been to New Mexico? Arizona? Texas? Wide open spaces...why here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 PM

957 posts, read 3,691,762 times
Because it is cheap to retire here and all is well as long as you don't have to make a living here. You'll notice that most people moving here on the forum are retired and are not concerned about finding a job. As much as we love being on the water, also in Millsboro, we will probably be gone within a year. It is very difficult to make a living here.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,387,291 times
Wide open spaces arent for everyone, many people like things in close proximity (except for traffic, LOL). From what I've been reading, many move to DE b/c it's more affordable than where they've previously lived but not too far away if they wish to travel back to visit friends or family. I think it's understandable to resent newcomers who want to change the new area wherever one lives, sorry if that's been your experience but it is what it is and while sometimes change is good, for the most part I think people everywhere have a 'live and let live' attitude and certainly arent looking to change things, especially in their 'golden' years. Realisticallly, no place is perfect, everywhere has its good and bad, I think one has to keep that in mind when relocating.

Are you thinking of moving to AZ, NM or TX?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 PM

361 posts, read 1,943,207 times
Because of UD.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM

9,699 posts, read 14,185,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Because it is cheap to retire here and all is well as long as you don't have to make a living here. You'll notice that most people moving here on the forum are retired and are not concerned about finding a job. As much as we love being on the water, also in Millsboro, we will probably be gone within a year. It is very difficult to make a living here.
I partly agree with you rossc. It IS cheap to retire here. But, I believe you hit the nail on the head. Do you want a "job" or a "profession"? There are low-paying jobs everywhere, in all states. I've lived here all my life, and make a very good living, according to my standards, my preferences and my goals. I'm self-employed, and have been for 25 years. I think life, earning a decent income, and planning for the future, is what you make of it. I believe in setting a goal, working hard, and achieving that goal. I made that decision when I was 39 years old, after working menial low paying jobs which I never liked. I knew I was not going to follow that path forever, so against all odds, and as poor as I could be, I succeeded in fulfilling my ambition to be self employed, successful, and at the top of the pay scale within my profession. We all have choices.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,642,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Wide open spaces arent for everyone, many people like things in close proximity (except for traffic, LOL). From what I've been reading, many move to DE b/c it's more affordable than where they've previously lived but not too far away if they wish to travel back to visit friends or family. I think it's understandable to resent newcomers who want to change the new area wherever one lives, sorry if that's been your experience but it is what it is and while sometimes change is good, for the most part I think people everywhere have a 'live and let live' attitude and certainly arent looking to change things, especially in their 'golden' years. Realisticallly, no place is perfect, everywhere has its good and bad, I think one has to keep that in mind when relocating.

Are you thinking of moving to AZ, NM or TX?
That is what I was saying in another post somewhere. Live and let live.
For instance, if I am happy living here.......why should anyone resent the fact I'm here. And you are correct, we are not looking to change things in our golden years. We bought here because it like it just the way it is. Of Course, I can't speak for other seniors but I"m sure most of us feel this way.
And you are correct........every place has its good and bad. the trick is to find a place that will suite your needs as much as possible.

Love your attitude Your post deserves trillions of stars

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,405,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdumpling View Post
I've lived in Delaware all my life. Why would anyone want to move here? I live in Millsboro and would rather be anywhere but here.

So tell me folks that want to move here...why?

Sussex County is not very welcoming to new folks. I think for the most part we resent folks coming here and wanting to change things just like where you left. *shrugs* I can't imagine moving here.

Have you ever been to New Mexico? Arizona? Texas? Wide open spaces...why here?
It's because people in nearby states pay the equivalent of a preowned car in property taxes every year, and they don't want to move out of the northeast.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,642,217 times
[quote=rossc;3533323]Because it is cheap to retire here and all is well as long as you don't have to make a living here. You'll notice that most people moving here on the forum are retired and are not concerned about finding a job. As much as we love being on the water, also in Millsboro, we will probably be gone

there may be retirees on this board but there are also a great deal of younger couples and middle age moving in. PA, Marych and Lash are not retired either.

There are many communities springing up around me that are NOT 55+ with beautiful BIG homes.
There most be jobs. Maybe not as many as say....Phila. Some communite to PA or MD. Housing is more reasonable here than there that is for sure.
I have seen a load of posters not retired but just want to live in Sussex county nearer to the beach.

For myself, I plan to go back to work part time in about a year. It is not easy finding a job but that is all over in every state.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM

168 posts, read 670,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
It is not easy finding a job but that is all over in every state.
Please provide facts to back up your Moderator cut: edit statements.

Its not hard finding a job everywhere. Larger cities, as a rule, have more jobs since there are more ppl which means more businesses and services there are to offer. Moderator cut: edit has nowhere near the population or the jobs that any larger city has and therefore has fewer job offerings.

The original poster has asked a great question, one that Ive asked myself several times. It all depends on what your view of life is. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 04-22-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: a little too offensive/argumentative for this forum

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

405 posts, read 1,371,616 times
Arizona is to hot, New Mexico there is literally nothing there, Texas...well they have big bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware