U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 AM
 
6,450 posts, read 7,770,133 times
Reputation: 3726

Advertisements

I have several questions about the Red Clay school District.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 AM
 
13 posts, read 3,406 times
Reputation: 34
I attended elementary school and high school in Red Clay. What questions do you have?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 06:23 PM
 
6,450 posts, read 7,770,133 times
Reputation: 3726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsd8675 View Post
I attended elementary school and high school in Red Clay. What questions do you have?
I attended Linden Hill elementary school from 1969-72. My family lived in the Arundel subdivision during that time. I remember the school team was the Linden Hill Vikings. My family moved out of Delaware in December, 1972.

Anyway, I was just thinking about those times and decided to look up Linden Hill on the Internet. I saw that the school district was re-organized sometime between 1978-81 due to busing or "desegregation". Is this what happened? I did not think busing affected the suburbs. There was nothing mentioned about the school district prior to 1978.

Also, in the late 1990s/early 2000s my father was talking to someone who still lived on the area at the time and was told some schools in the area closed due to population decline. Is this true?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM
 
70 posts, read 61,819 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I attended Linden Hill elementary school from 1969-72. My family lived in the Arundel subdivision during that time. I remember the school team was the Linden Hill Vikings. My family moved out of Delaware in December, 1972.

Anyway, I was just thinking about those times and decided to look up Linden Hill on the Internet. I saw that the school district was re-organized sometime between 1978-81 due to busing or "desegregation". Is this what happened? I did not think busing affected the suburbs. There was nothing mentioned about the school district prior to 1978.

Also, in the late 1990s/early 2000s my father was talking to someone who still lived on the area at the time and was told some schools in the area closed due to population decline. Is this true?
I don't know about the time periods you reference, but it's definitely not true now. Bussing does not start until Middle School now. They opened a new elementary school in the area a few years ago (Cooke). My daughter has attended Linden Hill for two years and we like it. It has a great Chinese immersion program. Some people like the zoned middle and high schools and some don't. There are a lot of options in the district, with three full magnet schools (Conrad, Cab Calloway, and the very competitive charter school of Wilmington) and a magnet IB program in Dickinson. The Chinese immersion will also continue into middle School in it's own separate track.

The district will not test as well as some of the richest districts in the country right over the PA border, but I consider it quite good.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,280 times
Reputation: 11
My daughter attended North Star Elementary (Hockessin) & HB duPont Middle School (Hockessin). Both were good schools. She is now a junior at AI DuPont High School (Greenville) and we feel it was a good choice for her. She had the opportunity to go to Conrad & Charter but AI offered her a wider range of classes and activities that she enjoys. Charter is a good school but we wanted her to experience more of an average high school--not to be stuck doing homework for hours each night. As always, it depends on what the student puts into it. Take advantage of the open houses that are held a couple of times each year at each school
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2020, 02:50 PM
 
1,856 posts, read 1,575,222 times
Reputation: 5977
Anybody about to answer this, read the second post. The OP is not a prospective Red Clay parent. The OP moved out of Delaware nearly 50 years ago and is curious about changes the school district went through decades ago.

While it's good info for someone else who is actually interested in the current state of Red Clay, I do wish OP had been a little more specific in his first post, to save people the time of telling him things about the current state of the district that he's not actually questioning.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2020, 07:25 PM
 
6,450 posts, read 7,770,133 times
Reputation: 3726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
Anybody about to answer this, read the second post. The OP is not a prospective Red Clay parent. The OP moved out of Delaware nearly 50 years ago and is curious about changes the school district went through decades ago.

While it's good info for someone else who is actually interested in the current state of Red Clay, I do wish OP had been a little more specific in his first post, to save people the time of telling him things about the current state of the district that he's not actually questioning.

I was more specific in my second post. Did you not take 20 seconds to read down the list?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM
 
170 posts, read 101,714 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I attended Linden Hill elementary school from 1969-72. My family lived in the Arundel subdivision during that time. I remember the school team was the Linden Hill Vikings. My family moved out of Delaware in December, 1972.

Anyway, I was just thinking about those times and decided to look up Linden Hill on the Internet. I saw that the school district was re-organized sometime between 1978-81 due to busing or "desegregation". Is this what happened? I did not think busing affected the suburbs. There was nothing mentioned about the school district prior to 1978.

Also, in the late 1990s/early 2000s my father was talking to someone who still lived on the area at the time and was told some schools in the area closed due to population decline. Is this true?
Busing absolutely effected the suburban schools. The majority of New Castle County was divided into 4 districts - Red Clay, Brandywine, Christina, Colonial. City kids were “ bussed” out to suburbs for majority of grades but suburban kids were “bused” to the city schools for at least 3 grade years dependent on district determination. Court ordered desegregation ended about a decade or more ago. Districts determine school configurations. Students usually attend closest elementary but starting in middle school city kids are bused to suburban schools mostly because desegregation left no city feeder middle and high schools left.

Linden Hill is still alive and well. It has always been an elementary school - currently serving k-5. It serves kids who live mostly in the Pike Creek area.

Population growth has added schools to Red Clay. Two new elementary schools were opened for the Hockessin area - North Star in 2005 and Cooke just a few years ago. Before their opening kids in a Hockessin used to go to Linden Hill but it became too crowded.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 AM
 
6,450 posts, read 7,770,133 times
Reputation: 3726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post

Linden Hill is still alive and well. It has always been an elementary school - currently serving k-5. It serves kids who live mostly in the Pike Creek area.

My family lived in the Arundel subdivision in the early 70s.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Northern Califonia
306 posts, read 412,810 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
Busing absolutely effected the suburban schools. The majority of New Castle County was divided into 4 districts - Red Clay, Brandywine, Christina, Colonial. City kids were “ bussed” out to suburbs for majority of grades but suburban kids were “bused” to the city schools for at least 3 grade years dependent on district determination. Court ordered desegregation ended about a decade or more ago. Districts determine school configurations. Students usually attend closest elementary but starting in middle school city kids are bused to suburban schools mostly because desegregation left no city feeder middle and high schools left.

Linden Hill is still alive and well. It has always been an elementary school - currently serving k-5. It serves kids who live mostly in the Pike Creek area.

Population growth has added schools to Red Clay. Two new elementary schools were opened for the Hockessin area - North Star in 2005 and Cooke just a few years ago. Before their opening kids in a Hockessin used to go to Linden Hill but it became too crowded.
A.I. DuPont and Concord High may be your least bussed public high schools in the Northern Delaware suburbs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top