Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

This is just an example of why I love De.

I drove over to the local Loew's to pick up a microwave for my sister who has recently moved here. It is a mountable one and quite bulky. The sales clerk offered to help me out, but I am fairly strong and decided I could handle it on my own and left saying thanks.

I got to my car opened the hatch and 3 people (2 females and 1 male) all in cars, pulled in behind me and asked if needed help. I didn't, but I again offered my thanks.

Just one of those things that makes me smile about living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 02:10 PM

82 posts, read 165,686 times
Is it possible you looked weak they were just helping you out?

Old 02-06-2020, 05:02 PM

829 posts, read 628,994 times
Nuts2uiam - thanks for sharing a great example of the kindness of the people who live here in DE. On a personal note, how wonderful for you that your sister has moved here!!

jim man - If nuts2uiam looks weak but didn't need help, that's pretty impressive, don't you think? There is nothing wrong with looking or even being weak, so I don't understand your point other than to try to knock another poster, which isn't cool. Her post was a positive one about the kindness of people in DE, which I've also encountered.

My apologies to others for responding to something that is probably better left ignored.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Is it possible you looked weak they were just helping you out?
I can assure you that if you saw me the term weak would not be one that would leap to mind. But that said, Your scenario makes my point too. The kindness of strangers here is simply amazing. I will add the weather was raining at the time and not one of them hesitated to offer. The microwave was straddling the top of the cart and had handles in the box so it was an easy transfer. Now admittedly many people might not have been able to lift it off the cart and into the car, but like I said I am pretty strong being raised with no brothers and under my dad’s arm in his workshop. My sister and I both are very strong.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Nuts2uiam - thanks for sharing a great example of the kindness of the people who live here in DE. On a personal note, how wonderful for you that your sister has moved here!!

jim man - If nuts2uiam looks weak but didn't need help, that's pretty impressive, don't you think? There is nothing wrong with looking or even being weak, so I don't understand your point other than to try to knock another poster, which isn't cool. Her post was a positive one about the kindness of people in DE, which I've also encountered.

My apologies to others for responding to something that is probably better left ignored.
Thanks. DH and I are both thrilled she is here. She like us, unfortunately is childless. She lost her hubby 2 years ago and it has been a worry that she was alone in NY. The moving van came on Monday so we are still unpacking as she has work being done in the house, so it will be a while before we are all done.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:43 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
I also find people in Delaware to be kind. People, even children, open and/or hold doors for others. Store employees always thank me and wish me a great "rest of my day". I was in Kohl's and carrying an InstantPot to the register area and an employee left her cash register and brought a wheeled carrier to me - said she saw me carrying the heavy item. I am trying to be as nice as the natives here - a work in progress.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 PM

9,721 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Good to hear those great experiences! I have lots of nice stories, but here's one: Last summer hubby and I bought a window air conditioner and without asking for help, a Lowes employee quickly took our cart and said he'd load it the trunk of our car. When we got home, we got our dollie out of the garage, and carted the air conditioner to the front steps! There we were, looking at 5 steps up leading to our front porch. We stood there contemplating, looking like 2 helpless 79 and 80 year olds (that we are) when a teenage boy walking down the sidewalk ran over, and said WAIT, I'll help you get it in the house. He picked up the air conditioner, carried it up the steps, and into our foyer. What a God Send! We tried to give him a few dollars, but he refused. What a nice young man. I see him every day walking back and forth to school....always giving us a wave and a smile if he sees us outside!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:32 AM

84 posts, read 119,440 times
It’s nice to hear about acts of kindness...It’s the way things SHOULD BE !!...Here in NY all you hear about are elderly women getting punched in the face, and their pocketbooks ripped from their arms...I’m leary of anyone trying to help me, as it usually turns out bad here at home...toobad I have to feel this way...

Old 02-07-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Good to hear those great experiences! I have lots of nice stories, but here's one: Last summer hubby and I bought a window air conditioner and without asking for help, a Lowes employee quickly took our cart and said he'd load it the trunk of our car. When we got home, we got our dollie out of the garage, and carted the air conditioner to the front steps! There we were, looking at 5 steps up leading to our front porch. We stood there contemplating, looking like 2 helpless 79 and 80 year olds (that we are) when a teenage boy walking down the sidewalk ran over, and said WAIT, I'll help you get it in the house. He picked up the air conditioner, carried it up the steps, and into our foyer. What a God Send! We tried to give him a few dollars, but he refused. What a nice young man. I see him every day walking back and forth to school....always giving us a wave and a smile if he sees us outside!
Such a nice story and I will add that apparently his parents did a good job raising him, too!

Old 02-07-2020, 08:45 AM

82 posts, read 165,686 times
Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware