Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 07:30 PM

829 posts, read 629,262 times

Advertisements

Your dinner sounds divine - homemade. I think instead of the Freshman 15, many of us will emerge from this with the Covid #19. LOL

I try to take it one day at a time and am challenging myself to try to do one "extra" thing around the house. I am grateful for having an e-reader so I have reading material. I'm also spending a lot of time e-mailing friends to stay connected. Feeling blessed to be self-isolated with my husband - and that we get along. A year ago, he was a hospital employee (Network Manager), so I'm selfishly grateful he is no longer in that environment.

I had an e-mail from Giant tonight and apparently stores are now being required to have no more than 20% capacity in their store during normal hours and 10% during senior shopping hour(s). Giant will have staff monitoring at the doors. I don't envy them their jobs, but am grateful for them. I'm guessing this is a good thing for them too. Someone told me stores in their area (Florida) were begging people to send only one family member in to shop - not for a couple or entire family to shop. I'll admit that will help in a lot of stores, as two people or an entire family shopping en masse blocking the aisle and shelves as they ponder an eternity which kind of noodle or sauce to buy drove me crazy.

I'm told the Acme has the aisles going one way only and they have marks on the floor at check out to maintain the 6 feet distance.

Fortunately, it's spring, so we can all go outside and watch the grass grow for entertainment. Seriously, my best to you all! Hope you and yours are all well. To better days ahead!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
My sister was at Walmart on Wednesday and said it was a circus. A man bumped into her while she was standing 6 feet behind the person in front of her and his 3 kids were running around peoples legs grabbing them. My sister said, excuse me, to him when he bumped into her and he replied you're excused. This was before the governor announced the new capacity rules, so hopefully that will help. It is not the stores fault - it is the stupidity of the people.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 AM

In my opinion, the reason they had to issue the Stay-At-Home directives was in large part because so many people disregarded the early requests/recommendations to socially distance and self-isolate as much as possible.

I've been surprised at how some senior friends haven't taken this seriously until the past few days. Quite a few had continued to act like nothing had changed until their states enacted the Stay-At-Home mandate and they were forced to. NOW they're freaked out - after thinking we were over-reacting in self-isolating the past 3 weeks. There are some people who won't "get it" until they or someone they know and/or love gets sick.

I went out today for my weekly shopping and again encountered some young men who disregarded the whole social distancing concept in areas where it can't be enforced - out and about in the store. I had to wonder why 20-something young guys were shopping during the senior hour, but then it's not a mandate, but a request that others avoid the senior hours - and maybe they're shopping for their older relatives. Yeah, that's it. I am hopeful between what I bought this morning and the online order for home delivery (wait time 6 days) of staples, I won't have to venture out for 2 weeks.

Hope you are all safe and well!! What's for dinner tonight, RDLR?

Old 04-03-2020, 08:28 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,264,687 times
WalMart Super Store in Camden, DE has one way in, one way out, bordered by wooden police barricades saying CAMDEN POLICE DEPT. They were counting people as we went in, don't know how many the max is.

Lucky me...I found a small package of dust/allergy face masks in my desk that I forgot about. They're not the N95 ones, but they are made by 3M. A couple are labeled "asbestos" shields. My work has slowed down, thankfully. I was happy to find these masks....anything helps, as I was struggling trying to make bandanas and becoming frustrated. Lesson learned.....when in doubt, don't throw some odd-ball thing out.

Governor Carney is having a press conference with new guidelines today at noon or 1 p.m. 4/3/20.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM

82 posts, read 165,728 times
Default Appalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My sister was at Walmart on Wednesday and said it was a circus. A man bumped into her while she was standing 6 feet behind the person in front of her and his 3 kids were running around peoples legs grabbing them. My sister said, excuse me, to him when he bumped into her and he replied you're excused. This was before the governor announced the new capacity rules, so hopefully that will help. It is not the stores fault - it is the stupidity of the people.
I was appalled when I seen this post, this couldn't happen in Delaware.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
WalMart Super Store in Camden, DE has one way in, one way out, bordered by wooden police barricades saying CAMDEN POLICE DEPT. They were counting people as we went in, don't know how many the max is.

Lucky me...I found a small package of dust/allergy face masks in my desk that I forgot about. They're not the N95 ones, but they are made by 3M. A couple are labeled "asbestos" shields. My work has slowed down, thankfully. I was happy to find these masks....anything helps, as I was struggling trying to make bandanas and becoming frustrated. Lesson learned.....when in doubt, don't throw some odd-ball thing out.

Governor Carney is having a press conference with new guidelines today at noon or 1 p.m. 4/3/20.
It WOULD be interesting to know what the capacity of the larger stores are - I'm guessing quite a lot. I wonder if they have plans in place for the event a line forms? With each new order/directive/mandate, it seems getting groceries is that much more difficult, but I realize it's for our own protection. Kind of like when our parents told us "I don't want to do this, but it's for your own good". LOL

Funny, but we found a few of those same masks just yesterday - and I saw someone going into a store wearing one this morning. I've seen a few instructions for making a mask, but opted to order two from Etsy because I had a feeling I'd make a mess of it. Here are instructions on the Baltimoresun.com site: http://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavi...wjq-story.html

One of our nieces has been making masks for a few weeks for a hospital - I'm guessing in Wilmington, as that's where she lives. I'll bet there darn cute too, because she's an artist and is probably using fabric with her designs. When this is over, I may ask if she'll sell us two - don't want to ask now because hospitals need them more than we do.

Best wishes to everyone in being and staying well!!

Old 04-04-2020, 08:23 AM

82 posts, read 165,728 times
To All, Please be safe out there.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
It WOULD be interesting to know what the capacity of the larger stores are - I'm guessing quite a lot. I wonder if they have plans in place for the event a line forms? With each new order/directive/mandate, it seems getting groceries is that much more difficult, but I realize it's for our own protection. Kind of like when our parents told us "I don't want to do this, but it's for your own good". LOL

Funny, but we found a few of those same masks just yesterday - and I saw someone going into a store wearing one this morning. I've seen a few instructions for making a mask, but opted to order two from Etsy because I had a feeling I'd make a mess of it. Here are instructions on the Baltimoresun.com site: http://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavi...wjq-story.html

One of our nieces has been making masks for a few weeks for a hospital - I'm guessing in Wilmington, as that's where she lives. I'll bet there darn cute too, because she's an artist and is probably using fabric with her designs. When this is over, I may ask if she'll sell us two - don't want to ask now because hospitals need them more than we do.

See that is what makes me smile when the "best" of people come out in a crisis. Please convey my sincere thanks to her for this kindness. I saw this first hand during 9/11 although I had already left working in NYC at that point, Thanks be to God, I would have been 3 blocks away from there. I was on the periphery of that effort, staying on LI and just arranging for supplies, food etc. but in the thick of Sandy. It is amazing that so many things that are "important" before such events are of no import once you live through one of these things. On LI, as in many places, we all helped one another and were unified.

I personally find it so disconcerting that this mess has become so political. I really have no tolerance for that crap at all. I truly think that when you have a crisis, politics should be aside because after the fact there will be plenty of time for blame.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:02 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
It WOULD be interesting to know what the capacity of the larger stores are - I'm guessing quite a lot.
Giant grocery store in Rehoboth - I asked the person at the door keeping count and she was keeping count for 20% of capacity which was no more than 67 customers. That means 335 capacity. Another good reason for each household to send only one person to the grocery store to shop.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-05-2020 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2020, 10:18 AM

403 posts, read 221,707 times
Quote:

Anybody can sew a mask, even by hand. It is really not hard.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...te/5108079002/

pdf mask pattern, on 1:1 scale (print, cut, sew) and instructions:
For the pattern, just print 1st page please. The rest 16? are instructions.

https://www.beebehealthcare.org/site...Mask_FINAL.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware