U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 06:22 PM

1,856 posts, read 1,572,946 times

Advertisements

By the way, San Francisco went to a "shelter in place" total lockdown yesterday. The governor of NY has told New Yorkers to be prepared to have to shelter in place within 48 hours.

I'm not saying to go out unnecessarily, but...if there's something last minute you really need to stock up on, do it by the weekend. We seem to be operating a few days behind NY.

If you do go to a store, be kind to the employees. Please don't pull the "I've been standing here for 5 minutes and not one of you has acknowledged me!" bs that someone pulled on my spouse yesterday (while the few store employees were scrambling to answer phones and what not). Times have changed. Everyone's doing their best. Everyone's scared. Be nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 08:04 PM

636 posts, read 272,256 times
Just got a message from G. H. Bass that all their factory outlet stores in North America were going to close through 3/27, but that they would pay all their employees.

I admire that Dogfish Head closed their restaurants/bars last Thursday, well ahead of the state decision to close bars and restaurants. I understand that they are paying their employees and donated the food on hand to food pantries. We go to their restaurant frequently and I'll be sure to support them when they open in appreciation of their actions.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:00 PM

636 posts, read 272,256 times
I just got a message that Eddie Bauer is closing all stores until 3/28.

Also heard Giant is allowing only 60+ people to shop between the hours of 6 & 7A.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:12 AM

10,170 posts, read 12,851,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
By the way, San Francisco went to a "shelter in place" total lockdown yesterday. The governor of NY has told New Yorkers to be prepared to have to shelter in place within 48 hours.

I'm not saying to go out unnecessarily, but...if there's something last minute you really need to stock up on, do it by the weekend. We seem to be operating a few days behind NY.

If you do go to a store, be kind to the employees. Please don't pull the "I've been standing here for 5 minutes and not one of you has acknowledged me!" bs that someone pulled on my spouse yesterday (while the few store employees were scrambling to answer phones and what not). Times have changed. Everyone's doing their best. Everyone's scared. Be nice.
Unless something has slipped by me, the governor has said it is unlikely that he will institute SIP. The mayor of NYC has threatened that we are days away. As a former NY'er let me explain this horses a$$ to you. He was days behind the rest of NY and NJ in closing schools, saying that he has to worry about the kids that need breakfast, and lunch. He added that he was concerned that many of their parents are healthcare workers whose absence from work would potential harm the rest of the city. So what does this idiot do? He closes the schools until 4/20 instead of using his head and doing what Nassau and Suffolk county have done and NJ too. They are definitely closed until the 27th and will make the decision as it gets closer to that date about future closing.

Now this idiot is engaging in fear mongering regarding SIP all the while going to a gym to work out because he missed some days of exercise and he needs that.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:29 AM

48 posts, read 57,663 times
Its concerning the Christiana mall is open. That just means a ton of people from NJ/PA/MD are going to come here and shop. Same goes for the liquor stores. Its going to have an image of taking advantage of other states closures because of the "low" number of positive tests here for now. I live in Newark, and the parks are full of kids playing. I know how stressful this is for a lot of folks but I think people are in disbelief because we've been primed to think everything is fake. Fake or not, and I wholly believe this is real, it should be treated as reality. Drastic measures are necessary.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:33 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimi...touch_surfaces

Copper is antiviral. It will destroy MRSA. IF there is a way to deploy this on a larger scale for door handles and instruments we touch every day, it may be possible to slow down fomites.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:12 AM

1,856 posts, read 1,572,946 times
New question and answer session video from the Division of Public Health. Update: now 18 confirmed cases in the state. The latest one is the first known case in Kent County, and that person is critically ill.

https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/e...rus-video.html

Old 03-18-2020, 10:27 AM

10,170 posts, read 12,851,666 times
I want to be the voice of reason here. For the good of all we need to keep thinking and using common sense.

For the past two weeks or so, the population for the most part has not been able to be tested, but has been walking around with the "possibility" of having the virus. Now that testing has become more readily available, it is reasonable to expect that the number of cases statewide/nationwide will no doubt increase.

Simple facts are that the virus enters via mucus membranes, stop touching your nose, mouth and eyes and you will do a great deal toward stopping the further spread of the virus. Wash hands and surfaces most especially your cell phone and remote for the tv.

The simple facts to stop this virus are more common sense than anything else but in this me, me, me and to hell with everyone else era, we rally need to remind people of these simple things to do.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:54 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,352,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The simple facts to stop this virus are more common sense than anything else but in this me, me, me and to hell with everyone else era, we rally need to remind people of these simple things to do.
Amen to that, Nuts.

Here's a good article on stealth carriers:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-...ed-study-says/

I worry I could become a "stealth" case given my good health. I know I can avoid catching this virus, but my husband still works every day and he is my concern--that he could bring it home. I am now on day three of social isolation, and I won't be leaving the house for at least another week and that will be for perishables. I am avoiding my elderly parents and giving everyone about ten feet of space at least if I see anyone while out on my morning runs. I am surrounded by seniors in my neighborhood and basically my entire town, and I don't want to be responsible for taking out half the town of Ocean View due to my own actions.

I suspect we will see many more local cases after the congregating I witnessed at bars in Rehoboth and Dewey this weekend via Facebook posts and what I saw as we were driving around along with the recent drive through test results for Sussex.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:06 PM

Close the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware