Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 04:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

RDLR and Beach liz, you should see this place. I had to return something so I had go to the post office this morning. The sheer number of people not wearing masks on Rehoboth Avenue is nothing short of astounding. DH rode his bike down to the beach this afternoon just to go for a ride and said the boardwalk was pretty compliant, but that was about it and he was amazed at the number of people standing on lines to get into some stores in the outlets.

I hope we can talk some sense into the public, but I fear that, just like we go through every year (not this one) with the foreign students, you can only teach and not force them to comply. I am officially bored now and the only thing that is borderline keeping my sanity is the puppy. He is now 4 1/2 months old and in the defiant stag, such fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
I rarely see anyone in and around Kent County, not wearing a mask. My husband went to the local grocery store and left his mask in the car. A Camden Policeman greeted him at the grocery store door and turned him away. Whoops! He hurried back to the car to retrieve his mask.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Me, too, Liz!
The number of out of state cars speeding through Dover, and heading south on Rt. 1 to the beaches is scary.
Yep, seeing that myself. Saw a chart today that shows Delaware one of the few states left that is still having increases in cases. Not good at all. The young people don't seem to give a rat's behind. Their attitude is "it's only the old people dying, so what do we care". Maybe the new cases from senior week will give them some pause.

Heard a good line today.....The spread of COVID-19 is based on 2 factors: 1. How dense the population is and how DENSE the population is! We seem to have a lot of the latter who think that going to the beach is more important than catching a deadly disease and passing it onto others.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Saw a chart today that shows Delaware one of the few states left that is still having increases in cases. Not good at all.
Yea, I’ve noted that. We’ve been really good in Philadelphia in taking steps to flatten the curve. Our 7-day moving average has been on a steady decline since early April. I hope our people don’t head down to the beach, let down their guard and come back to the city and spread the virus here.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:45 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 4697 + 15
KENT 1624 + 4
SUSSEX 4509 +8

Hospitalizations 91 + 2 This is an increase of 16 in 3 days!!

The hospitalizations are still on the upswing.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:00 PM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
It seems the areas where people vacation are often the ones where people don't/won't wear a mask. I think when people are on vacation - particularly at the beach (Ocean City, Rehoboth, many places in Florida) - they think they're in some magical bubble where they can't get hurt or sick and nothing bad happens. We have sadly decided that the only way to be safe is to stay away from the resort areas with a lot of tourists, particualrly young ones, based on what we've seen both in person or on the news.

We had an appointment in Bel Air, MD today and I went into two stores and one business. The only person we encountered without a mask was the receptionist at the accountant's office, which horrified us - the accountant himself wore a mask. Everyone at the two stores had a mask on, which I hear is the norm in that area (Harford County, MD).

It's very frustrating to see so many people in our area disregarding the safety precautions. Maybe we should add a countdown of weeks until the peak season is over. If you count from here till Labor Day, we've got 11 (long) weeks till we can at least partly reclaim our own cities.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:27 PM

Lyndeb, we call it the vacation bubble here all the time. Once Memorial Day weekend comes the international students are starting to arrive in droves and the bike verses car, truck, motorcycle accidents start. The right turn lanes become full traffic lanes and I am not talking about emergency vehicles. People are in party mode and have checked their brains at wherever they call home til they leave.
I have to go to either HD or LOWES and I am dreading it. But, we had planned a minor sprucing up of our guest bath, and I need to pick out the new floor tile. Thank God I am not going whole hog, I would never have put that much time in one of those stores. Hate to even do it now but it was planned and then stopped due to the virus and they are working again and it will be a day or two at most.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 PM

Good luck at HD or Lowes, Nuts! My husband tries to go when they open and has told me numerous times that the customers all seem to wear masks - and the staff wears them - except they just let it dangle from their one ear with nothing across their face or pulled under their chin (mainly HD). Maybe you will have better luck, but go prepared to keep a distance from the staff.

So funny, but we've called it the Vacation Bubble for quite a while, as we've noticed it through the years when we were tourists ourselves and sometimes had to pull ourselves upright and remind ourselves that we did not have a state of grace simply because we were giddy because we were on vacation.

Good luck with your guest bath sprucing. We're having a small patio pad installed tomorrow - mainly for the grill. We've been to HD and Lowes because we'd like to put something akin to a bath cabinet in our laundry room. What we found at both of the stores was of rather woeful quality. Anybody have any suggestions where we could go for something that might be of a little better quality, even if online?

Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Good luck at HD or Lowes, Nuts! My husband tries to go when they open and has told me numerous times that the customers all seem to wear masks - and the staff wears them - except they just let it dangle from their one ear with nothing across their face or pulled under their chin (mainly HD). Maybe you will have better luck, but go prepared to keep a distance from the staff.

So funny, but we've called it the Vacation Bubble for quite a while, as we've noticed it through the years when we were tourists ourselves and sometimes had to pull ourselves upright and remind ourselves that we did not have a state of grace simply because we were giddy because we were on vacation.

Good luck with your guest bath sprucing. We're having a small patio pad installed tomorrow - mainly for the grill. We've been to HD and Lowes because we'd like to put something akin to a bath cabinet in our laundry room. What we found at both of the stores was of rather woeful quality. Anybody have any suggestions where we could go for something that might be of a little better quality, even if online?
Try Wayfair or Joss and Main or Overstock. They do a fabulous job in terms of describing the cabinetry including if it is 100% wood or veneer or MDF. I have ordered from them as has my sister and never been disappointed once it arrives. Will let you know how I find the stores.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:47 AM

We've gotten some great discounts on things at Overstock and a couple from Wayfair. I didn't think of any of them for this, so thanks for the suggestions! As much as I prefer to buy local and actually see what I'm buying, sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and order online when what you're finding locally just isn't what you had in mind.

To be on topic for the thread - I've read that Florida is beginning to crack down on bars and restaurants who aren't complying with the Covid #19 guidelines after a # of outbreaks stemming from "drinking establishments". They were reluctant to do so with an industry that had suffered from the shutdown, but the surging cases, primarily in the younger population, has caused them to do so. A pub near the University of Central Florida has had its liquor license suspended after 13 employees and 28 customers tested positive.

We aren't going out to eat, so we have only hearsay knowledge of how a few local restaurants in Sussex County have handled compliance with guidelines, but a few friends have all had very good experiences and felt safe by how the restaurants they went to were conducting business. Based on what we have read and heard on the news from experts, we are not comfortable going out to eat, but that's a personal choice and it's good to hear that some of the restaurants are taking the guidelines seriously and following them.

I just came across this article that references Governor's Carney's concerns about the uptick in hospitalizations and what's being seen in the area. I will really be bummed if the behaviors of the stupids causes them to shut the beaches again: https://www.wdel.com/news/slight-upt...6741226f7.html

Last edited by lyndyb; 06-24-2020 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: Addition of Link to an Article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware