U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 07:29 AM

643 posts, read 280,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post

My only real complaint is that for some reason many adults (yes, including seniors) are unable to comprehend one-way signage in supermarkets. I sincerely hope they don't drive their cars that way on one-way highways because if they do covid-19 will be the least of their worries.
You made me laugh with this comment. I've just recently been in a grocery after months of curbside pick-up or Instacart deliveries - and this is exactly what I encountered in most every aisle. I'm not sure if they're clueless or just obstinate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 07:37 AM

10,256 posts, read 12,962,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
You made me laugh with this comment. I've just recently been in a grocery after months of curbside pick-up or Instacart deliveries - and this is exactly what I encountered in most every aisle. I'm not sure if they're clueless or just obstinate.
I admit that I have been that person, myself. My problem is the grid system works if you shop by browsing -up and down every aisle. I am a mission oriented shopper. I need ketchup - crackers - fruit. I know the aisle I need, but not the direction of the aisle and the first time they put them in, I was busted. Now I am more aware of the need to follow the arrows and chuckled the last time I was shopping. I wanted to go in an aisle and it was the wrong direction, so I walked around, at the same time a gentleman enters the aisle with me and he simply turned around and walked backwards. I laughed myself silly.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-05-2020 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-05-2020, 08:56 AM

I sympathize, as I'm the same way. It's frustrating when you wind up having to lengthen your store time because you have to go down an additional aisle so you can then be "driving" in the right direction. I tell myself I'm just getting more steps.

You know, I love the gentleman shopper's resourcefulness and will try to remember it. I'll also confess that there has been a time or two when I've passed something in an aisle, so I parked it and walked by foot back to what I accidentally passed. The one-way aisles are a good idea, but they're a bit tricky to navigate, as old habits die hard.

Even so, I rather like the one way direction of the aisles, as people going in both directions does cause more traffic jams, especially when couples and families are shopping together and they take up a lot of space. This may sound crazy, but I've always kinda liked grocery shopping - except for the other shoppers. I'm beginning to think I may continue to use Curbside Pick-up and Instacart for 75% of my shopping even when this is over!!

Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5398 + 64
KENT 1746 + 11
SUSSEX 4908 +49

Hospitalizations 53 -1

Result up early today, what the next few weeks will bring.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 PM

8,198 posts, read 11,850,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I admit that I have been that person, myself. My problem is the grid system works if you shop by browsing -up and down every aisle. I am a mission oriented shopper. I need ketchup - crackers - fruit. I know the aisle I need, but not the direction of the aisle and the first time they put them in, I was busted. Now I am more aware of the need to follow the arrows and chuckled the last time I was shopping. I wanted to go in an aisle and it was the wrong direction, so I walked around, at the same time a gentleman enters the aisle with me and he simply turned around and walked backwards. I laughed myself silly.
That was me in disguise.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 PM

While I admit that I am pretty much on self imposed house arrest, I did venture out tonight to get takeout at Starboard. I live just under 2 miles away and I checked the Del dot camera’s so I was prepared for traffic and much to my utter amazement there was literally no traffic. I made it there and back in 21 minutes which is like winter travel time.
I guess they had already left because I know they came in. That said I do think the crowds were down a bit. Maybe the bars closing deterred people.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:50 AM

581 posts, read 173,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post

My only real complaint is that for some reason many adults (yes, including seniors) are unable to comprehend one-way signage in supermarkets. I sincerely hope they don't drive their cars that way on one-way highways because if they do covid-19 will be the least of their worries.

I visited family for the holiday weekend and went to the grocery store to help my mom buy some last minute things. I gathered up some items she wanted me to grab and then found her right as she was about to walk the wrong way down an aisle. I pointed out the arrow to her and told her she was supposed to only leave that aisle from that end. She then pointed out to me that she has bad arthritis, it hurts to walk a lot, and there was no one in the aisle anyway so what difference did it make. She has a point if there is no one in the aisle.

While I am from Delaware, I don't live there now. Stores in my area have the arrows and people ignore them all the time too. I try to obey them, but it does feel silly going all the way down one aisle to come back up another to get something on the far end (especially when someone else just decided to go the "wrong way" anyway and you avoided nothing). As briefly as people pass each other in aisles with masks on (no matter which way they are going), I have to wonder what the point is anyway.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 AM

While I truly sympathize with your mother's arthritic pain, I think the one way aisles make a lot of sense, as it alleviates a lot of crowding in the aisle. A lot of people shop with the entire family and take up a lot of space - and they and others take a long time making their choices - some just about having a meeting over what to get. I try to be patient, but after waiting 5 minutes for one group, I finally passed them, which I try not to do. If there was ongoing traffic, I wouldn't have felt comfortable going around them.

I totally agree that it's inconvenient to go down one aisle just to get to another, but I personally like the lack of congestion, which was always a problem in the pre-pandemic days. The one way direction made a big difference in the early days when I was still in-store shopping. At this point, I almost feel like we're fighting a losing battle, as more than half the people in my isolated shopping trip were ignoring it, so I'm going to stick with the online shopping.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:22 AM

581 posts, read 173,716 times
I probably have a skewed perspective too. I tend to shop at slow times of the day. I used to shop at 6am, but now that that is senior hour, I shop at 7am. I’m usually the only one in the aisle unless someone is stocking. I went to the store at 3pm on Friday with my mom. She asked for help since she was picking up a cake at the bakery (she needed someone to carry it). It was more crowded than what I usually see, but I don’t think there was ever anyone in the aisle with me except my mom.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:54 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5489 + 89
KENT 1761 + 15
SUSSEX 4952 +44

Hospitalizations 54 +1

I am just back from a loop downtown. The avenue looks more like March or November than a hot July day. Parking a plenty. Some people walking around but not a lot. Then I drove down to Dewey via King Charles Avenue (1st block parallel to the boardwalk) and tons of parking. I did encounter a delay on Coastal on the way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware