U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 PM

10,256 posts, read 12,962,177 times

Advertisements

This is a note that was sent to the Mayor and Councilpersons in Rehoboth. The hotels were at 90/100 reserved before the announcement re: bars closing and face masks on the beach. They dropped to 30/40. One hotel, the Bellmoor Inn's Benjamin Gray said they lost $100,000 worth of reservations in 48 hours.

The chamber is trying to see what they can do on behalf of the business community.

https://mailchi.mp/beach-fun/member-...0?e=3afbee8379
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5555 + 66
KENT 1784 + 23
SUSSEX 4979 +27

Hospitalizations 56 + 2

Still wondering where all the positive cases are.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:36 PM

581 posts, read 173,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is a note that was sent to the Mayor and Councilpersons in Rehoboth. The hotels were at 90/100 reserved before the announcement re: bars closing and face masks on the beach. They dropped to 30/40. One hotel, the Bellmoor Inn's Benjamin Gray said they lost $100,000 worth of reservations in 48 hours.

The chamber is trying to see what they can do on behalf of the business community.

https://mailchi.mp/beach-fun/member-...0?e=3afbee8379

I believe what the letter says, that the mask idea was an attempt to limit visitors. I don't know what it was like on the actual Fourth of July weekend, but when I was there right before the weekend, the beach and Boardwalk area of Rehoboth was pretty empty (although Route 1 was packed when I was leaving). It reminded me of what it's like on a cold weekend the week before Memorial Day.

I will also note that almost no one wore a mask on the beach despite it being the new rule. To be fair though, everyone was also pretty far away from each other too. For most of the morning, people were setting up with "camps" a good 30-40 feet away from each other. By 10 am, I would guess most were about 20 feet apart. Even the family that parked near me was definitely more than 6 feet away. I would guess their camp was about 12 feet away but they were sitting about 20 feet away.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:51 PM

In a few minutes the Governor will be speaking, I am guessing to update us on the phase 2 to 3 progression (not happening). I doubt he will rescind the bar closing in the beaches. The City of Rehoboth is having a special commissioners meeting at 3 and I will bet they will remove the masks on the beach idea, but keep them all over the rest of Rehoboth. The businesses have spoken and they are not happy.

FYI. We have been added to a list of states that now require a mandatory quarantine if we enter, NY, NJ, CT. Below is the announcement.

NY Governor Cuomo adds Delaware to list of States that visitors from must quarantine for 14 days.
Update NJ Governor has also added Delaware to travel advisory list.

NY Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today(7/7/2020) announced that three additional states meet the metrics to qualify for the travel advisory requiring individuals who have traveled to New York from those states, all of which have significant community spread, to quarantine for 14 days. The newly-added states are Delaware, Kansas and Oklahoma. The quarantine applies to any person arriving from a state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day rolling average or a state with a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a 7-day rolling average.

"As states around the country experience increasing community spread, New York is taking action to ensure the continued safety of our phased reopening. Our entire response to this pandemic has been by the numbers, and we've set metrics for community spread just as we set metrics for everything," Governor Cuomo said. "Three more states have now reached the level of spread required to qualify for New York's travel advisory. We will now require individuals coming from Delaware, Kansas and Oklahoma to quarantine for 14 days. New Yorkers did the impossible - we went from the worst infection rate in the United States to one of the best - and the last thing we need is to see another spike of COVID-19."

The full, updated list of states on the travel advisory is below:

Alabama

Arkansas

Arizona

California

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Iowa

Idaho

Kansas

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

Nevada

Oklahoma

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-07-2020 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: added 2 additional states

Old 07-07-2020, 01:04 PM

643 posts, read 280,762 times
I definitely felt the decision to close down the bars and make people wear masks on the beach was intended to limit youthful visitors in an effort to attempt to avoid another senior week situation - and to avoid the resurgence that other states such as FL, CA, TX and AZ are seeing.

I thought it was a fairly measured response as opposed to returning to Phase 1 or shutting down everything. If the occupancy rate went down from 90-100% to 30-40%, then it would seem those who cancelled had planned to visit the bars and the fears that made the leadership shut them down were well founded.

While I totally agree masks should be worn everywhere by everyone in public, I think being required to wear them on the beach is a little over the top. I've never gone to the beach right in the heart of Rehoboth, as it's always been too crowded in the best of times, but I've been to some of the other area beaches in the past several weeks and everyone has been very good about keeping a distance to the next group.

While I feel bad for the bars and the hotels, I can't help but think maybe we were better off losing the business of people who cancelled because they had to wear a mask and the bars were closed. Easy for me to say, but we just have to hope there are better times ahead.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:25 PM

Listening to the Governor and Company, now and unless I misheard they are going to a weekly reporting. I will check tomorrow and report back maybe for the last time on a weekly basis.

Nevermind, they are updating the numbers we follow daily , it is more of the drilled down data that they are going to go weekly.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-07-2020 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM

2,128 posts, read 4,195,867 times
Well just freaking thank you Delaware for not being stricter in imposing the rules and pandering to the people who yelled and screamed to have it opened up. And thank you to all the people in this state (and those coming into this state...INCLUDING NEW YORKers) who think that wearing a mask and staying away from people is too much of a bother and infringing on their rights. Now we won't be able to go and see our 8mo. old granddaughter (in central NY) because we can't stay there 2 weeks. We had thoughts of going up in August but if DE can't get their act together......well, who knows. There are also tons of NY transplants here who will be denied travel to see family if they are unable to stay away from everybody for 2 weeks or can't afford a hotel for 2 weeks.

Sorry for the rant but I am seriously PO'ed about this.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:15 PM

Rothbear a lot can change in week. If you look a the numbers of the other states positive cases, I think the Governor had a great point. We are at 5.3%, the slide he used was Fl 18.7%, Ms 15%, Az 25.3%, SC 16.6%, and Tx 13.8%. He will probably call and plead the case that we are not even close to their league. Stay tuned.

Looks like the City of Rehoboth is going to amend the mask on the beach policy to entering and leaving they are necessary, but then no masks. I received a call and did not hear the final part but they were discussing the language to use, having to do with exercising on the beach. I will get the blast and the minute I do I will post it.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM

Masks are no longer necessary on the beach in Rehoboth.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dela...s-tips-38.html

Old 07-07-2020, 07:44 PM

8,198 posts, read 11,850,916 times
Sorry double post.

Last edited by rdlr; 07-07-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware