Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,868,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Also, we have been delisted off the Trio state NY. NJ CT travel and quarantine list. Yippie. Never should have been on it in the first place. ROTHBEAR, travel with a glad heart!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Delaware was also on PA’s quarantine list but was supposed to came off today, as well.

Where are you finding this? I have several DE info FB groups but nothing on there. This would be wonderful. I have NJ and NY neighbors who would be excited. Hopefully we don't go back on before we get to NY.

EDITED: Never mind, found it on Del State News website.

Last edited by rothbear; 07-14-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,247,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Where are you finding this? I have several DE info FB groups but nothing on there. This would be wonderful. I have NJ and NY neighbors who would be excited. Hopefully we don't go back on before we get to NY.
Google

Old 07-14-2020, 06:31 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,088,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post

EDITED: Never mind, found it on Del State News website.

I get the email blasts from Dewey-Rehoboth Chamber and they had launched a massive campaign to have us delisted. They have a commercial about the area running now essentially saying we are open, come visit. They are going to do a second commercial next week. Tourism here has really taken a hit. Today they showed all the vacant parking spots on Rehoboth Ave. on the 6 o’clock news.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:23 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,247,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I get the email blasts from Dewey-Rehoboth Chamber and they had launched a massive campaign to have us delisted. They have a commercial about the area running now essentially saying we are open, come visit. They are going to do a second commercial next week. Tourism here has really taken a hit. Today they showed all the vacant parking spots on Rehoboth Ave. on the 6 o’clock news.
We’re clearly in a struggle here: it seems we either have to protect health or protect livelihoods. I come down on the side of health. We’ve seen what happens in those sunbelt cities where younger folks flock to the bars and parties. Although I’m sure it’s painful to forgo a summer of partying, it seems a small price for young people to pay to tone it down for one summer of their lives.

And if the business owners really want to focus on their long-term survival, allowing customers to behave as if there is no virus is the quickest route they can take to undermine this. As I said, look at the sunbelt. Slow and steady wins the race.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:25 AM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 5904 + 44
KENT 1876 + 11
SUSSEX 5153 +23

Hospitalizations 51 +3

Critical up 1 to 11

Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
We’re clearly in a struggle here: it seems we either have to protect health or protect livelihoods. I come down on the side of health. We’ve seen what happens in those sunbelt cities where younger folks flock to the bars and parties. Although I’m sure it’s painful to forgo a summer of partying, it seems a small price for young people to pay to tone it down for one summer of their lives.

And if the business owners really want to focus on their long-term survival, allowing customers to behave as if there is no virus is the quickest route they can take to undermine this. As I said, look at the sunbelt. Slow and steady wins the race.
Living here as I do, while I am pretty much still quarantining in the house, I do go out and drive around town between here and Dewey and Lewes. What I will say unequivocally, is that most of the restaurants have been doing a fabulous job of juggling the new requirements and remaining open. As one owner emailed early on when outdoor dining was just getting off the ground, "I need to lay out more money to purchase tables and chairs for outdoor dining and we have no idea when or if they are going to suspend that." Many closed in advance of the closures to be proactive.

The real problem here as in many things all over, the greed is going to be the downfall. A few years ago the Toy and Kite store on Rehoboth Avenue moved across the street due to a ridiculous increase. Imagine that expense and it was still worth it. We have some wonderful shopkeepers in town who more than likely will not be here after the fall. The landlords are not offering to work with the shops and are demanding their rent. The shops had been closed with no revenue coming in and many tried to obtain a small business loan to no avail. The other complaint that has been voiced and is valid is that stores like Walmart were allowed to remain open because they were deemed essential. If they allowed Walmart to remain open for Rx's, and OTC medications, food, i.e, essentials and they were not allowed to sell clothes, and toys and games etc, the playing field might have been more level for these shops. However, they were not permitted to open at all.

We also have realtors who pushed trip cancellation insurance on people (not inexpensive, either) and when they went to cancel, they were told that they had to have a positive test for Covid-19. Many are still out money because they will only receive a partial refund if the place they rented and cancelled is rented for that particular time period, essentially a sub let.

We need to find that balance and I believe that distance and masking is the answer until we have more information on a vaccine.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:04 PM

829 posts, read 628,393 times
Quote:

I feel really bad for the business community, but I have to agree. If we have a resurgence like FL, TX, AZ and CA, it will just prolong the pain - for all of us. I personally think the move to close the bars in the beach towns was a wise move - especially as we're now seeing a # of bars and restaurants in OC, MD who have closed due to staff testing positive.

We're not going to stop the people from going to the bars, parties and large gatherings, but at least it seems to have stopped (as much of) it from happening locally.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I feel really bad for the business community, but I have to agree. If we have a resurgence like FL, TX, AZ and CA, it will just prolong the pain - for all of us. I personally think the move to close the bars in the beach towns was a wise move - especially as we're now seeing a # of bars and restaurants in OC, MD who have closed due to staff testing positive.

We're not going to stop the people from going to the bars, parties and large gatherings, but at least it seems to have stopped (as much of) it from happening locally.
I agree, that was a good move. Now I have seen a number of large gatherings in homes on decks and backyards and I would be willing to make a little wager that most of them were 20-30 years old and not related.
That is a problem with no answer, unless each lease is looked into to see how many were on the rental agreement and we know that is not gonna happen.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:02 PM

9,716 posts, read 14,250,421 times
Default Delaware State Fair

My business travels took me past the Delaware State Fair today. They're setting up, and the big tractor trailers are rolling in. I read that when admission to the grounds are paid, you must have a mask in your possession. They are required if you go inside any of the livestock or exhibit buildings/area, but not mandatory when walking around or while you're on the rides. In my opinion, it looks like special exceptions have been made by the Governor for the Fair.
https://delawarestatefair.com/10-day...fair-calendar/

Our little Wyoming Peach Festival, which was not approved by the Governor, is a miniature event, in comparison.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
My business travels took me past the Delaware State Fair today. They're setting up, and the big tractor trailers are rolling in. I read that when admission to the grounds are paid, you must have a mask in your possession. They are required if you go inside any of the livestock or exhibit buildings/area, but not mandatory when walking around or while you're on the rides. In my opinion, it looks like special exceptions have been made by the Governor for the Fair.
https://delawarestatefair.com/10-day...fair-calendar/

Our little Wyoming Peach Festival, which was not approved by the Governor, is a miniature event, in comparison.
I was stunned when I read it was a “Go” even in a reworked version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware