U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM

10,194 posts, read 12,879,362 times

Advertisements

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 6843 + 49
KENT 2183 +16
SUSSEX 5630 +22

Hospitalizations 45 - 1
Critical 18 + 7

As you can see by my mistakes this is not the most important thing I do every day. I will keep it up as long as I can, but I am going to encourage anyone who has more than a casual interest in this to go to the coronavirus.delaware.gov website. There are a ton of interesting stats about this virus and the breakdown is fascinating. I have to admit that once I saw that the numbers changed and I could not go back to reconstruct them, I totally zoned out. If I can't go back to what the site published - it seems like a fools errand to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 12:09 PM

640 posts, read 274,507 times
Nuts, you've been a good sport to post the #'s every day, but I hope that you won't feel obligated to continue. As you've indicated, we all have the ability to go onto the DE site to check the #'s. I can only speak for myself, but this could go on for quite a while and I know I can definitely understand if you are ready to stop posting daily.

Whatever you decide, I just wanted to let you know it has been appreciated and to thank you for all you've done.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:30 PM

7,533 posts, read 8,693,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Mary, you are correct. I have been doing this for so long and the numbers are running together. I have thought about stopping it and I think it might be a good idea. My attention to it is just not there, I am just done with it. It has become a chore. It has gone on a lot longer than I thought. Would you be inclined to take it over?
CD shouldn’t be a chore. And we’re a looooong way from done. All the info can easily be found online.

You can sign off as a having done a great job.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 PM

All of you have been so kind and I know it is a lot easier to just read the summary, so I will keep it going for a little while. I really think this will be with us well into next year. The losses incurred here are staggering to say the very least. On one hand as I've said before, the traffic does not really bother me, but it has been noticeably lighter this year. But I do fear for the many businesses that are struggling so badly and worried about what the face of Rehoboth Avenue is going to look like next year.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
All of you have been so kind and I know it is a lot easier to just read the summary, so I will keep it going for a little while. I really think this will be with us well into next year. The losses incurred here are staggering to say the very least. On one hand as I've said before, the traffic does not really bother me, but it has been noticeably lighter this year. But I do fear for the many businesses that are struggling so badly and worried about what the face of Rehoboth Avenue is going to look like next year.
Not sure if you saw this: https://whyy.org/articles/rehoboth-b...e-in-visitors/

We forwarded it to a friend in RB who is a business owner. He told us it’s pretty accurate, from his perspective.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Not sure if you saw this: https://whyy.org/articles/rehoboth-b...e-in-visitors/

We forwarded it to a friend in RB who is a business owner. He told us it’s pretty accurate, from his perspective.
If you have not already seen post #465 read it. It is regarding the losses in Rehoboth. That is only from 76 out of 1200 business owners surveyed.

This year is also a struggle for many because the J1 students did not come. We usually get around 1000 give or take per year. Many of the shops wanted to stay open longer to at least see if it would help the bottom line, but for many it meant 60 hour weeks. We have heard that there are 9 students here. We made a decision to suspend the church dinners and bike program for our own safety early on.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:40 AM

NCC 6868 + 25
KENT 2199 + 16
SUSSEX 5656 +26

Hospitalizations 45 - 1
Critical 8 - 10

I am telling you the critical care units must be amazing. It must be in the miracle category. Here are the numbers for the past 3 days.
Day before 11 no change
Yesterday's 18 plus 7
Today's 8 down 10

There were no new deaths reported. I guess it is possible that 10 people who were critical are no longer, but it certainly seems to be very unlikely. I think the reporting of this data is slow at the very least and maybe when all is said and done accurate, but I now have little stock in these numbers.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM

NCC 6938 + 70
KENT 2215 + 16
SUSSEX 5673 +17

Hospitalizations 40 -5
Critical 8 + 1

Old 08-03-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If you have not already seen post #465 read it. It is regarding the losses in Rehoboth. That is only from 76 out of 1200 business owners surveyed.

This year is also a struggle for many because the J1 students did not come. We usually get around 1000 give or take per year. Many of the shops wanted to stay open longer to at least see if it would help the bottom line, but for many it meant 60 hour weeks. We have heard that there are 9 students here. We made a decision to suspend the church dinners and bike program for our own safety early on.
I did read that post. It was very sobering. It seems like we have no good choices we can make with this pandemic, and people have differing views on how we achieve the “least worst outcome.”

On a 2nd note, I hope everyone at the beaches fare well through tomorrow’s storm.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 AM

50 posts, read 58,322 times
You should be posting the numbers of the bordering states along with DE. Considering the transient population, porous state borders and the larger numbers at all adjacent states, using DE alone doesn't give an accurate picture. I'm not a professional statistician, but wouldn't you want to pull a sample with a circumference that captures the most interaction in a population? 4/10 people I work with live in neighboring states. People come here and get sick, but I doubt they're going to stay in the hospital here. Along with that, there are a lot of people that dont want to go to a DE hospital. I don't think anyone is forced to go to the hospital in your residential state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware