U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2020, 12:49 PM
 
8,198 posts, read 11,848,752 times
Reputation: 17273

Advertisements

Leave it to the Delaware government to screw up counting COVID 19 cases. Hope they do better counting votes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2020, 10:59 AM
 
332 posts, read 203,422 times
Reputation: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
WTF??????? Sounds like another case of positives not being timely reported. If so, they need to change their policies about it. I agree....more naughty lists. Carney has no room to gripe if he can't control how these are reported. And about time all the guidelines are made mandatory....with fines....or we'll never get over it. Too many stores becoming lax with too many arrogant people thinking their "rights" are more important than others rights to stay healthy.
No one is forcing you to go to the store! The small business owners are fighting for their livelihood and the vast majority will probably lose everything they worked for so hard all their lives. Based on your statement, all the Wal-Marts, Costcos, Home Depots, pharmacy stores should close. Don’t just punish the little shop owners. Again, no one is forcing you to leave your house, you can order things online. But there are millions of individuals who can’t do that and need access to grocery stores, pharmacies and in person banks, just to name a few.

So that you know, here’s how COVID spreads.


Know how it spreads
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
10,251 posts, read 12,956,117 times
Reputation: 10645
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
No one is forcing you to go to the store! The small business owners are fighting for their livelihood and the vast majority will probably lose everything they worked for so hard all their lives. Based on your statement, all the Wal-Marts, Costcos, Home Depots, pharmacy stores should close. Don’t just punish the little shop owners. Again, no one is forcing you to leave your house, you can order things online. But there are millions of individuals who can’t do that and need access to grocery stores, pharmacies and in person banks, just to name a few.

So that you know, here’s how COVID spreads.


Know how it spreads
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html
Reading comprehension has always been a strong suit of mine and I have read and re-read Rothbear's post and I find nothing in there that remotely justifies your response. Rothbear will have to weigh in to verify, but here is what I believe the message was.

Stores need to enforce the mask guidelines, sanitizer and occupancy guidelines because there are too many people who feel it is their right to not wear a mask at all or not abide by the guidelines. I see nothing at all in the statement that would require any store to close let alone the ones named or small businesses.

In the absence of a vaccine these guidelines are all we have to help curtail the spread. The data is supporting that social distancing and mask wearing is helping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 12:03 PM
 
643 posts, read 280,461 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
No one is forcing you to go to the store! The small business owners are fighting for their livelihood and the vast majority will probably lose everything they worked for so hard all their lives. Based on your statement, all the Wal-Marts, Costcos, Home Depots, pharmacy stores should close. Don’t just punish the little shop owners. Again, no one is forcing you to leave your house, you can order things online. But there are millions of individuals who can’t do that and need access to grocery stores, pharmacies and in person banks, just to name a few.
Wow - I don't think Rothbear or any of us are suggesting that stores close, for heavens sake. I think we all have a desire for people to adhere to the guidelines of wearing masks and socially distancing as much as possible. I have also noticed that some of the stores that were previously monitoring the # of customers going into their store, in compliance with the guidelines, are no longer doing that.

Moving to a slightly different aspect of this - I'm finding that among my friends, family and acquaintances, a LOT of people are becoming less cautious and are starting to resume activities that are considered more risky that they previously avoided and even preached to others about doing. I'm wondering if the rest of you are observing this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
10,251 posts, read 12,956,117 times
Reputation: 10645
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Wow - I don't think Rothbear or any of us are suggesting that stores close, for heavens sake. I think we all have a desire for people to adhere to the guidelines of wearing masks and socially distancing as much as possible. I have also noticed that some of the stores that were previously monitoring the # of customers going into their store, in compliance with the guidelines, are no longer doing that.

Moving to a slightly different aspect of this - I'm finding that among my friends, family and acquaintances, a LOT of people are becoming less cautious and are starting to resume activities that are considered more risky that they previously avoided and even preached to others about doing. I'm wondering if the rest of you are observing this.
I have noticed that too, but I think it is because the guidelines are high enough now that many shops will never get that many in at once.

The second point, I have noticed that too. Here is my armchair psychology explanation on it. One day last week while sitting in my screen room around 7:20 p.m. I looked outside and I noticed how dark it had gotten. I am in that room most nights at that time and to that point, had not noticed it. It suddenly hit me that it won't be too long before it is dark and I am stuck in the house. DST ends on 11/1 this year and the clocks go back so it is early. I think a lot of people are looking at Labor Day coming and thinking about the fall and winter.

While I am relatively healthy, I am very cautious, especially living where there are so many tourists. I am as white as white this summer, probably not this white since I was an infant. I have not been to the beach, nor to our community pool. I go to the stores only when I have to and I carry sanitizer from Bath and Body Works on my key lanyard. Working in NYC and riding the subways, I have carried it for years, so this is nothing new for me. But, the only thing that has kept my sanity is that I had a puppy to train and care for. I have a few more projects to work on, but they are on hold so I have something to do in the fall and winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 12:58 PM
 
643 posts, read 280,461 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have noticed that too, but I think it is because the guidelines are high enough now that many shops will never get that many in at once.

The second point, I have noticed that too. Here is my armchair psychology explanation on it. One day last week while sitting in my screen room around 7:20 p.m. I looked outside and I noticed how dark it had gotten. I am in that room most nights at that time and to that point, had not noticed it. It suddenly hit me that it won't be too long before it is dark and I am stuck in the house. DST ends on 11/1 this year and the clocks go back so it is early. I think a lot of people are looking at Labor Day coming and thinking about the fall and winter.

While I am relatively healthy, I am very cautious, especially living where there are so many tourists. I am as white as white this summer, probably not this white since I was an infant. I have not been to the beach, nor to our community pool. I go to the stores only when I have to and I carry sanitizer from Bath and Body Works on my key lanyard. Working in NYC and riding the subways, I have carried it for years, so this is nothing new for me. But, the only thing that has kept my sanity is that I had a puppy to train and care for. I have a few more projects to work on, but they are on hold so I have something to do in the fall and winter.
You may be right about that - and I also think that people have Pandemic Fatigue - they're just tired of all the precautious and not doing things that they want to, so they do. Most of our close friends who were similarly cautious are pretty much staying the course. There are a lot of people who weren't as cautious to begin with who seem to have gone back to everything they were doing before.

Like you, we have avoided the tourist areas and are looking forward to returning at some point after Labor Day and hoping it will be both less crowded and that those who are out and about will be wearing masks and being somewhat considerate of others in terms of not getting too close.

Glad you have had the puppy to distract you and the upside of that is that he/she probably got your nearly full and undivided attention, which will no doubt reap rewards!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Dover, DE
2,128 posts, read 4,194,798 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Stores need to enforce the mask guidelines, sanitizer and occupancy guidelines because there are too many people who feel it is their right to not wear a mask at all or not abide by the guidelines. I see nothing at all in the statement that would require any store to close let alone the ones named or small businesses.
Thanks nuts.....this is exactly what I meant. I am not advocating closing down stores, I just want the guidelines to be enforced. Wear the d$%ed masks, use the sanitizer, stay 6' apart, and limit the number in the store and stay home if you aren't feeling well. I'm not sure why these are such difficult concepts. Most stores have stopped monitoring the masks and occupancy limits, unfortunately. I know how it spreads.....I have a medical background, which is WHY I understand all of this is necessary. How many times do you see groups of people together with no masks? Even the newspaper has pix of the same. Pic today of parents picketing to open up sports, yet three of them right in front have NO MASKS. And they want to have sports as usual.

Spoke with DD today who lives in upstate NY and she says that things are settling down there. Why? Because people are following the guidelines and being refused entry to stores if they don't have masks on. She says that she rarely sees anyone out without one and all are practicing social distancing. Apparently everyone there is taking things seriously, including the stores and they aren't afraid to enforce it. Too bad when they come to DE with it's wishy-washy enforcement policies, they stop caring. I do still go out when necessary but I follow the guidelines and don't feel that my comfort or rights supersede your right to stay healthy.

OK, off the soapbox. I have had a stressful 2 days dealing with Verizon FIOS customer support, both on the phone and 2 different chats and a necessary visit to the store in Camden. Have wasted about 14 hours of my life on this and I'm out of patience.....which is why I'm staying home. And we still have to have a tech in tomorrow. They went through this whole COVID thing with me and I told hubby it is essential to keep me at least 6' from the guy because I might strangle him!!! Just kidding..........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 02:15 PM
Status: "Lovin' the off season!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Ocean View, DE
1,858 posts, read 3,362,590 times
Reputation: 1282
I've noticed people being less cautious as well, especially some people we know. Quite a few have taken trips to Florida, Myrtle Beach, etc. which may explain our numbers rising . One guy who just came back from Myrtle claimed he felt fine when he came back to work and then he went home early because he felt ill one day....hmm. Us? We still do outdoor dining only and even that is infrequent, we only visit an isolated part of Assateague for a beach day, we didn't take a vacation this year, and I haven't seen a boardwalk since March. We went to the OCMD air show a couple weeks ago (traffic nightmare!) and parked at the Park and Ride to watch it. I still see my parents very little and outdoors only given they are both elderly and my mother is very high risk. I am very much ready for all this mess to end, but I honestly see myself wearing a mask indoors even after it is no longer mandated. I've been wearing one indoors since mid March and so has my husband. I have a science background and degree; there is no excuse or reason for me to get lazy with precautions now because I definitely know better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2020, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
10,251 posts, read 12,956,117 times
Reputation: 10645
Today's numbers over/under

NCC 8139 +30
KENT 2608 -4
SUSSEX 6317 -33

Hospitalizations 55-6
Critical 145+ 2

No explanation of what is going on but here are the numbers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2020, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
10,251 posts, read 12,956,117 times
Reputation: 10645
Well, well look at what is on the website today. Wonder if that is why the Sussex cases decreased for several days last week too?

*The Division of Public Health identified a data glitch that caused duplicate records to be included in the total number of positive cases displayed on Saturday, Aug. 29. DPH is working to address the issue by excluding duplicate records. As a result, the total number of positive cases decreased from the day prior.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top