Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 06:00 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times

Advertisements

Wishing you continued good health, RDLR. You are a real trooper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:39 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
Two things I learned today:

1) A friend was supposed to have jury duty in Wilmington this coming week. He called the information line tonight, and heard a recording that jury service is postponed until the end of April. He thought he heard "all" jury trials, but it could have only pertained to his. However, I've also heard from a lawyer acquaintance in Wilmington that only...and I forget the word he used, but only essential trials are taking place at this time.

2) Someone else I know has to have major abdominal surgery tomorrow in NCCo (not sure which hospital). I texted him to wish him well. He told me that the hospital wanted to put off the surgery (which he'd been told previously that he needs to have done ASAP). Whoever he spoke to did not want him taking up a bed. They eventually agreed to carry on with the surgery as planned, since it is critical, but he has to be at the hospital earlier than scheduled, and they're not going to let him stay overnight. And this is no small surgery. They're that worried about being inundated with covid-19 cases tomorrow--Monday, March 16th. I don't have many connections in the medical world, but I wasn't under the impression the hospitals around here are seeing much as of yet. I thought all of the known cases are recuperating at home. Why are they so worried about not being able to spare a bed tomorrow (not next week, tomorrow)? I wonder if they know the results of that big drive-thru testing event. Are they being overcautious, or is this already bigger than we know?

Old 03-16-2020, 12:29 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
In all likelihood the answer to your question lies in the simple fact that on a good day a hospital is a Petrie dish for infectious germs. Given that the virus feeds on mainly the already compromised your friend would fall under that label. That are looking to protect him from these germs that are always there, plus the incoming that are possible Co vid-19.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:49 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
I took a run around Bethany this weekend along with a walk on the Rehoboth boardwalk and could not believe all the people! I was able to keep my distance by just walking/running in the less crowded areas, but wow. We didn't participate in our usual St. Patrick's activities even though many were cancelled--but the Irish bars were still open We didn't go to any. No Irish music, no Irish food, no festivities. I just got dressed up for the holiday and we walked on the boardwalk.

My marathon next month was cancelled along with my race on Sunday. No races for awhile, but I agree with the decision. I am thankful that running outside is safe so long as it's not in a crowded area.

We've been stocked up here for a few weeks now as I saw this coming. I even stocked up on my pets' supplies, and I did a Weis grocery store run for perishables. My husband has to work because he is law enforcement, but they are already taking precautions. They are taking officers' temps every day now along with some other measures.

Sadly, I am avoiding my parents because they are elderly and my mom is high risk with her bad hypertension. They live in rural VA and quit going out to dinner a few weeks ago. My dad is retired but was substitute teaching. Thankfully, the schools are closed now.

I'll just be hanging out at my house and going outside for runs. No more dining out, no more events for us until this mess gets cleared up. I suspect we may be out of school for longer than two weeks though.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:29 PM

Liz, I noticed the same thing in Rehoboth. We walk Rehoboth Avenue and the boardwalk whenever the weather is nice and on Saturday, I was a bit appalled at the number of people who were clustered together, celebrating St. Patty's Day. There were a number of places I had to work at it to keep a distance. We went out early today before the stores opened and there were far less people and we could avoid people more easily.

Hoping we don't get as locked down as some of the countries in Europe!

Hope your symptoms subside and go away, Arabus!!

Old 03-16-2020, 05:58 PM

The outlets just posted new temporary hours of 11-7 but each store can determine if they wish to close. Vineyard Vine shut down til the 27th according to an email I received.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Dover's a ghost town. Late yesterday, parking lots were totally empty around restaurants and businesses along Rt. 13 through Dover. However, when we past by Cheddars (Camden) at about 5 p.m., I was surprised to see that their parking lot was pretty crowded, as usual ???? I wonder what's up with that ? We celebrated Saint Patrick's Day with a McDonald's Shamrock Shake we purchased at the drive-thru. I noticed they were packing big bags of food orders for pick-up, and that some people were going inside that McDonald's...I guess to pick up their orders. Too bad we'll miss the Saint Patrick's Day Festivities, but that's a small price to pay. This is the last evening we'll have a giant green spotlight shining on the front of our house, and the shamrock decorations will be packed away until next year.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:39 AM

Lands' End stores are closed until 3/29 (there is a store in one of the strip shopping centers outside the Christiana Mall) and Eddie Bauer is limiting stores hours effective 3/16 and they recommend you call the store or visit their website for the current hours. Incidentally, the Eddie Bauer OC Outlet location is closing that store altogether with a last date of 4/27 - this isn't due to Covid-19.

RDLR - I guess Cheddars decided to remain open till the 8PM closure mandate. I guess the people in there figured they'd get one last chance to eat/drink out. Judging from what I observed in Rehoboth on Saturday, I think the timing of closing bars/restaurants the day before St. Patrick's Day was no coincidence. I imagine the restaurants of all types who remain open for carry-out and pick up will (hopefully) do good business. I imagine liquor stores are doing brisk business!! LOL Panera is remaining open for Rapid Pick-Up and drive-thru.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Dover's a ghost town. Late yesterday, parking lots were totally empty around restaurants and businesses along Rt. 13 through Dover. However, when we past by Cheddars (Camden) at about 5 p.m., I was surprised to see that their parking lot was pretty crowded, as usual ???? I wonder what's up with that ? We celebrated Saint Patrick's Day with a McDonald's Shamrock Shake we purchased at the drive-thru. I noticed they were packing big bags of food orders for pick-up, and that some people were going inside that McDonald's...I guess to pick up their orders. Too bad we'll miss the Saint Patrick's Day Festivities, but that's a small price to pay. This is the last evening we'll have a giant green spotlight shining on the front of our house, and the shamrock decorations will be packed away until next year.
The McDonalds here has limited the number of seated people inside. Dog Fish Head has closed as have a number of other restaurants. Vinyard Vines and Bath and Body Works are closed. Tanger is open from 11 -7 as of now, but each store can decide if they are to remain open.

We are waiting to see what happens with the International Students that we so desperately need to work here. They are all banned until May 11th as of now, but it is not looking good. Depending upon what kind of summer this area has in terms of visitors, it could be very bad. Right now there are too many variables to determine. One thing is certain, for the shops, restaurants and hotels to open we need the students here. If, and that is a big If, the summer brings the usual vacationers into Rehoboth, we will have a huge problem, if they are not able to come here.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
First case reported in Sussex County

Also, cases double to 16. Full results are still not back on the drive-thru testing event.

Delaware COVID-19 Cases Double To 16, Sussex Sees First Case – First State Update

In other news, the state parks have waived entrance fees through April 30th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware