Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 05:54 AM

9,700 posts, read 14,187,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Lyn,
Anything is possible but they said they tested 1300 the other day and just going by the odds if even 10% were positive that would be 130 and the numbers just are not making sense. There was another testing today. Dr Tam, CEO of Beebe, said in the first 45 minutes they tested 300 of the 1000 they planned on today. Thursday is more testing. I will keep reporting but I remain puzzled.
No way to figure this mess out. As for me, I'm going about my business, masked, social distancing, and trying to focus on Fall events. My high school/college math courses weren't this confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 10:29 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
Today's numbers over/under

NCC 50183 +104
KENT 1716 + 17
SUSSEX 4779 + 89

Hospitalizations 67 -1

Old 07-02-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
No way to figure this mess out. As for me, I'm going about my business, masked, social distancing, and trying to focus on Fall events. My high school/college math courses weren't this confusing.
I wish I felt comfortable going out but I simply don't, especially with the increase in cases now. We had that one dinner out and then two 1/2 weeks later the bottom is falling out again. Our pool is open but we have to bring out own chairs, wipes etc, and it just seems like more trouble than I am willing to go to. I have driven around locally more in the past 3 months than I have in the past 7 years. I will continue but this is really getting old.

Recall that math was my least favorite subject.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:47 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,896,234 times
We quit going out as well, Nuts. My husband is off all of July and we are doing a whole lot of nothing. No annual summer vacation. We had a Monday outing for car service and groceries and that was it. We dined outside twice in June, and now we've stopped doing that due to the increase in numbers. We still won't allow anyone in our home or go into anyone else's home. I won't even allow my son to come in. Of course, we're now hiding in our house until next week due to another reason that doesn't have anything to do with the virus . We will still go to Assateague beach, but we go to the far end where there is literally nobody near us. Easy drive to get there too.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
We quit going out as well, Nuts. My husband is off all of July and we are doing a whole lot of nothing. No annual summer vacation. We had a Monday outing for car service and groceries and that was it. We dined outside twice in June, and now we've stopped doing that due to the increase in numbers. We still won't allow anyone in our home or go into anyone else's home. I won't even allow my son to come in. Of course, we're now hiding in our house until next week due to another reason that doesn't have anything to do with the virus . We will still go to Assateague beach, but we go to the far end where there is literally nobody near us. Easy drive to get there too.
I have to take a dehumidifier to the dump and I said to my husband let's wait and take it on a day when there is more traffic. It would kill more time, so I was being funny. It really is sad that we are so housebound. I toy with getting tested but I really have been so far away from anyone. Hubby has played golf, but he too has been really good about staying away and wearing a mask.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:30 AM

NCC 5277 +94
KENT 1730 + 14
SUSSEX 4847 + 68

Hospitalizations 57 -10

For those of you that watch these numbers, I see that I "found" the lost cases by adding 45,000 to the NCC total yesterday. I'm sorry I am so bad at this. I told you all that math was never my forte!! In any event, apparently it makes no difference because with the testing being done here and not reported, unless we are all negative, the numbers mean little.

Stay safe and have a nice 4th weekend.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM

NCC 5334 +57
KENT 1735 + 5
SUSSEX 4854 + 7

Hospitalizations 54 -3

So boys and girls, this is the tale of tests and results. We are hearing about the massive numbers of tests being done here. I can attest to the lines waiting to be tested over the past two weeks, but in the past 2 weeks the numbers are not reflecting a huge increase. Maybe that is good news and we are less impacted here than we were led to believe. That said, I think the law of averages would yield a higher result than we are getting. Perhaps there is a lag in data release and reporting.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:35 PM

The up-side: Grocery store trips are quick and painless. I haven't worn make-up and lip gloss in many weeks. The mask hides facial flaws, uneven skin tones, and wrinkles. It doesn't matter that my hair is matted. Capri pants, a tea shirt (braless) and flip flops ... no problem. I never see anybody who knows me at the grocery store because I'm unrecognizable and charge up and down the aisles on a mission, trying to get out of there in record time.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:42 PM

373 posts, read 514,227 times
It certainly makes sense to be cautious and stay safe. I think each person should abide by their personal comfort level when it comes to going out as long as they are respectful of others' safety by wearing masks, social distancing, making sure to avoid situations that require close proximity and/or extended exposure, and by following all guidelines of Federal/State/Local governments.

As retirees, for our mental health (and because we've run out of home improvement projects, or at least all the ones we care enough about to actually tackle), we have been trying to stay active by allowing time each day to do something - ride bikes, go to the beach, take a drive (Chincoteague for ponies and ice cream was our favorite so far), go grocery shopping, attend the weekly concert at Stango Park, etc. We have ventured out to one movie at the Cinema Arts Theater (attended by 3 couples, including us, which meant social distancing of about 40 feet between each couple) but generally avoid indoor situations.

We have eaten outside at a few restaurants and enjoyed it tremendously, and have been pleased with the precautions of the restaurants and the servers. We still aren't eating inside any restaurants. Most experts agree that the risk of infection from touching things or eating food is very low as long as the oft-cited precautions of thorough and frequent handwashing, and refraining from touching one's face, are adhered to.

The beaches we've gone to in Lewes, Cape Henlopen, and Indian River (weekdays mostly) have been busy but not to the point where we have felt uncomfortably close to anyone else. We go early in the morning or later in the afternoon. They have felt "full" but only because people are leaving lots of room between themselves and others. The past few weeks we've curtailed walking along the beach as the younger children have arrived with their excited zig-zagging to and fro, so we just camp out under our umbrella and watch and listen to the waves and birds and people, and occasionally get our ankles wet. It still soothes the soul. We have only been to our community pool once, but intend to start going more often as our HOA is doing an excellent job having volunteers monitor capacity limits, clean and sanitize, enforce the rules. Frankly, not that many folks are going anyway. Again, the experts are saying there is nothing to fear from being in the water itself, it is social distancing that is key.

We tend to bike through neighborhoods now instead of our beloved Junction-Breakwater Trail or the Lewes toward Georgetown Trail because it is so much easier to social distance on low-traffic development roads. As a side benefit, we get to critique how well other folks are doing on keeping up their yards, plantings, house colors, etc.

My only real complaint is that for some reason many adults (yes, including seniors) are unable to comprehend one-way signage in supermarkets. I sincerely hope they don't drive their cars that way on one-way highways because if they do covid-19 will be the least of their worries.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:07 AM

^ Thanks for that positive post, Enjoy Every Day! You're found a way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware