Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 11:08 AM

2,045 posts, read 2,133,596 times

Advertisements

I started this thread to function exactly as the title says: a place to share Delaware-related virus news, tips (where to find things, what places are waiving fees, how to cope in this particular state), and information that hasn't necessarily hit all the news outlets yet.

There are people who think that just talking about this is engaging in fearmongering. That this is "nothing but the flu" and is being hyped up for political reasons. If you believe that, that is your right, but I'd ask that you kindly let the rest of us discuss this amongst ourselves. I don't think sharing helpful information is fearmongering, and like it or not, this thing is here. As of today, 4 at UD have come up positive, and there will be more. I just want to be able to talk about it and share useful information while we get through it. It's not about promoting unnecessary panic. It's about brainstorming ways to help each other out. Maybe this will end quicker if we work together as a community.

So, as of today, March 14th: 4 have been officially diagnosed in New Castle County. Another 565 were tested yesterday in Wilmington. Those results aren't expected for another day or 3. If Christiana Care is planning on having another drive-thru testing event (perhaps in Newark?), they aren't saying yet. Schools are closed for at least the next two weeks. Most concerts and cultural events are canceled for at least the next two weeks (some small venues, like the Kennett Flash in Kennett Square, are planning to operate as normal, though that could change). UD residence halls are closing. The nearby counties in Maryland and Pennsylvania have several cases each.

As for shopping, I'm hearing that while some of the "superstores" are cleared out, places like ShopRite, Acme, and Giant are pretty well stocked except for hand sanitizer. And they're restocking every day. So the idea that you won't be able to find most everyday items is a bit overhyped. Buy what you need, but leave some for someone else who might need it more.

Personally, I'm going to plant some lettuce. Not for me, oh no. I have a pet who eats mostly lettuce. And she's a damned picky eater. If the lettuce gets to be a couple of days old, my little princess won't eat it. And the heck I'm going to the store every other day for her! So my plan today is to get to Richardson's (garden center up north) and also to buy some seed packets somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 12:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,886,598 times
Great idea to start this thread, Mimidae! I teach part-time and I said yesterday that I doubt we'll even have school come Monday--and I was right.

I'll contribute more later, but let me say that the flu is still really bad as well. Many of my co-workers had it and my husband did as well. It's been a month for him and he is still quite weak. He is 43, very healthy, in great shape, with no underlying issues and it still kicked his butt. He was out of work for over a week. Luckily, I have avoided it thus far. However, an old friend from long ago died from the flu at age 44. His heart was weak from past hard drug use and the flu killed him. Sad.

PS--I have three hungry mouths here who love romaine lettuce! Do you have a rabbit or guinea pig?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:41 PM

829 posts, read 620,188 times
Hi all!

I had a new patient appointment with a GP on Tuesday and we briefly talked about the Coronavirus. At the time, DE had 0 cases and I said I thought it was a matter of time. His response was that it as a matter of testing.

I'll admit that when I saw the lockdown and other cases cropping up in Europe, I started to buy an extra can of this or box of that whenever I went shopping. I was raised by a child of the Depression and having a supply of things in the house is second nature - so by the time the panic hit here in Sussex County, I wasn't having to join the throngs of people wanting TP. I hear paper towels are in hot demand as well as TP. For anyone who needs paper towels, Home Depot in Rehoboth had a nice supply when we were there for lawn fertilizer early this morning.

Sorry to hear your husband got the flu, Beachliz - and hope he regains his usual strength and is feeling 100% soon. We had friends who got it in early January and it also kicked their butt and it took them several weeks to feel back on their feet.

We've continued to try to live our lives but do a bit of social distancing, as we're in our 60's. My husband cancelled plans to go to a Radio Control Flea Market in PA this weekend. He'd looked forward to it for months, but thought it was too risky. We're going to cancel attending a 1st birthday party for a grandnephew next weekend, as the parents have invited 80-100 people and are having it in a hall. We gave friends who wanted to get a group together at an Irish bar for St. Patrick's Day a big no. Frankly, we're not big on crowds at the best of times, but definitely not now. They said they understood, but said there were no Coronavirus cases in DE and everyone else was coming. By the end of the week, everyone else had cancelled on them.

We went to a few stores today, but early or late and none were crowded and we tried to keep a buffer from others. Better safe than sorry.

I feel bad for the working parents with school aged kids - it's got to be rough to find child care. Hoping you all stay well - and sane.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:42 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
I just read that De. has 6 cases (https://www.delawareonline.com/story...-6/5049860002/.

People are going crazy here, there is no TP, no chicken, no soup, no flour. Our friends were all shopping yesterday and said the stores were just decimated. They must have been replenished overnight as they were ok today.

Beebe had a drive through today.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:13 AM

829 posts, read 620,188 times
I think I've received an e-mail from every retailer who has my e-mail because I receive their distributions or I've purchased something from them in the past. I received additional e-mails from Giant and Harris Teeter yesterday afternoon:

Harris Teeter announced they were adjusting their store hours and would close every day at 9P until further notice. Admittedly, I don't know what their hours were in the past or how big a difference this is.

Giant Foods is pausing their order pick-up service due to inconsistent levels of supply from store to store, day by day. They are also asking people to bring their own reusable shopping bags because the surge in shopping has strained their grocery bag supply. They are also asking people to buy only what they need. They said they will do all in their power to continue their normal hours for pharmacies and stores.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:15 AM

213 posts, read 214,695 times
I caught something with nasal and chest congestion and cough but I have no fever. I am staying home and treating with over the counter drugs.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:20 AM

213 posts, read 214,695 times
FYI, "Experts" suggest that reusable bags can increase the risk of spreading an infection and that you should wash the bags after each use.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:30 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I think I've received an e-mail from every retailer who has my e-mail because I receive their distributions or I've purchased something from them in the past. I received additional e-mails from Giant and Harris Teeter yesterday afternoon:

Harris Teeter announced they were adjusting their store hours and would close every day at 9P until further notice. Admittedly, I don't know what their hours were in the past or how big a difference this is.

Giant Foods is pausing their order pick-up service due to inconsistent levels of supply from store to store, day by day. They are also asking people to bring their own reusable shopping bags because the surge in shopping has strained their grocery bag supply. They are also asking people to buy only what they need. They said they will do all in their power to continue their normal hours for pharmacies and stores.
Some of the 24 hour stores were closing early to allow for a deeper cleaning of the stores.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:12 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Driving down to Seaford yesterday, we stopped at the Food Lion in Bridgeville thinking it might be less crowded than Seaford stores, given Bridgeville is a smaller town. We may have been right, as it was like any other shopping day, with a cashier waving us over to check us out.

Saturday night at the Seaford Walmart was another matter. Sizeable crowd at 7:30 with no water, sanitizer or TP and limited selection of cereal, pasta and (oddly enough) ice cream. Church services and restaurants seem to be operating as normal, though it’s probably not the best idea.

I think we can learn something from China. They essentially locked down the Wuhan region and it seems to have stemmed the spread. France and Spain have shut down everything except for essential services (grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals and banks) and Gov Wolf has done the same in the Philadelphia suburbs. I think this is smart, and I expect Gov Carney may do the same this week.

Everyone stay safe and take all the necessary precautions to avoid catching and spreading the virus. Anyone in your 70s and above need to be particularly vigilant.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:05 AM

9,672 posts, read 14,140,526 times
I'm working today as usual, visit Veterans' homes throughout the State of Delaware on a daily basis (regarding my government job) and am taking some precautions: I call the Veteran the night before, ask if anyone in the household is sick, tell them I'm not, and that I will be at their home for approximately half an hour. Latex gloves are a must for me, and we will be keeping our distance even though I'll have a mask. They have all appreciated the calls, and....so far, so good.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-15-2020 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware