U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:45 AM

10,197 posts, read 12,887,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm going to make an optimistic prediction. By mid summer there will be no more virus detected in southern Delaware. The heat, sun and humidity is going to put the zap on this crap!!!
That is only 1/2 the problem. The other half is where others are coming from and where they are as compared to us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 03:34 PM

905 posts, read 444,374 times
It's too bad that beach access could not be controlled in some way. The state park beaches could do that by limiting the number of people allowed in.

I don't know if it would be feasible to control the number of rentals allowed, only allowing a certain percentage of motel rooms to be rented at a time in an attempt to alleviate overcrowding in the area.

There should be a workable solution to helping the local economy to get through this but too much depends on everyone doing the right thing in consideration of others.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:41 PM

29,075 posts, read 28,066,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
It's too bad that beach access could not be controlled in some way. The state park beaches could do that by limiting the number of people allowed in.

I don't know if it would be feasible to control the number of rentals allowed, only allowing a certain percentage of motel rooms to be rented at a time in an attempt to alleviate overcrowding in the area.

There should be a workable solution to helping the local economy to get through this but too much depends on everyone doing the right thing in consideration of others.
Beach day lottery is a terrific idea! Most people wouldn't get to go, but a few lucky Delawareans would be able to swim, walk along the water's edge and play in the sand. If there was a small fee for everyone participating in the lottery, it should cover the cost of management. I'd pay for that. I don't live there, but I would.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:06 AM

15,027 posts, read 4,482,285 times
best way to keep the beaches closed is to close parking in the beach towns and parking lots along the seashore. Will they do this, or will the start charging for parking in these areas? I haven't heard what the plan is.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
best way to keep the beaches closed is to close parking in the beach towns and parking lots along the seashore. Will they do this, or will the start charging for parking in these areas? I haven't heard what the plan is.
That is not an option, but not because of the desire to collect money. That would be an aside. There are busses that run to the boardwalk, there are bicyclists that ride, many homes that are within walking distance that would create a crowd.

I heard but can't confirm, that the city is waiting on an opening date for the shops to begin charging. They would not be making enough to keep a staff on to empty the meters if the business community is open only for pickup.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:37 AM

640 posts, read 274,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

I heard but can't confirm, that the city is waiting on an opening date for the shops to begin charging. They would not be making enough to keep a staff on to empty the meters if the business community is open only for pickup.
I don't recall, but believe the meters already offer the Park Mobile (the logo is a green circle with a White P in the center) option of paying through a phone app - or a credit card. I wonder if they could potentially make parking temporarily available only via that option. Not a perfect solution, but just looking for an alternative.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I don't recall, but believe the meters already offer the Park Mobile (the logo is a green circle with a White P in the center) option of paying through a phone app - or a credit card. I wonder if they could potentially make parking temporarily available only via that option. Not a perfect solution, but just looking for an alternative.
That is true of the Rehoboth Ave meters but most of the rest of the town is quarters. I wonder if they would open just the Avenue ones. I tend to doubt it because then everyone would park on the off streets.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:59 PM

I stand corrected re: parking

Middle of article explains.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...1355?source=rs

Old 04-27-2020, 11:43 PM

900 posts, read 1,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I'm a Kent County native, zip code 19934, and stats show Kent County is doing the best of our 3 counties.....so far, but no guarantees. I'm with the ones here that think opening our state before it's safe would be a big mistake. But, unlike some others, I don't miss Rehoboth Beach and boardwalk. We haven't been fans since the 1940's or 1950's, when we built a bonfire along the ocean at Indian River and slept in a rag-tag tent....no crowds, no rules. I do feel for those who are missing their favorite thing at Rehoboth/Lewes/Dewey/Bethany, and as a business person, I certainly feel for the businesses who are suffering from the lack of revenue. Easy to say, but "patience"....this will be over in due time. We're longing for the day when we can do our local thing, sitting on the dock of the bay at Bowers Beach (Kent County) and watching the fishing boats unload their catches of the day! While waiting for our fish being prepared, we're at the bar (a retired boat), enjoying some adult beverages, and dancing on the dock to live music.... a different band every weekend (no shoes, no problem). Other entertainment is watching locals swim across the canal from South Bowers Beach to North Bowers, to join in the fun. Dripping wet, we always make room for them at the boat bar. Just old-fashioned, small town fun...memories we hope to repeat soon.
Be safe....In Delaware: masks mandatory in public settings.

Link: Virus Map of State of Delaware dated 4/25/20 (scroll down for map)
https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/
sounds like you had good times in the 1940’s and 50’s and still having fun. I find it sad seeing all the stores closed and the cumbersome way restaurants have to operate in order to survive. I miss the firehouse dinners, too. When things return to some sort of normal, we who can have to patronize the small stores and restaurants, and contribute to fundraisers for our firehouses and American Legion posts. Since tourist season will likely be slower than usual, Delaware residents can probably go to the beach areas this year to shop and dine. Many of these small businesses are struggling to survive.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 11,824,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
sounds like you had good times in the 1940’s and 50’s and still having fun. I find it sad seeing all the stores closed and the cumbersome way restaurants have to operate in order to survive. I miss the firehouse dinners, too. When things return to some sort of normal, we who can have to patronize the small stores and restaurants, and contribute to fundraisers for our firehouses and American Legion posts. Since tourist season will likely be slower than usual, Delaware residents can probably go to the beach areas this year to shop and dine. Many of these small businesses are struggling to survive.
retiree2011: You make a great point....Support our businesses and local services. Regarding this dilemma, for husband and I, we follow all the rules outlined by the Governor, but try not to focus on the numbers of cases, deaths, etc. At 79 & 80 yrs. old, being positive is a must, unless we want to rot in our rocking chairs cringing and expecting the worst. Instead, we've taken a positive approach, checking out the band schedules for Summer and Fall at our Kent County bayside venues, and keeping track of our 'party time' friends we've met in those fun places. Cherish today, and look forward to a bright future of fun in the sun, and eventful evenings. Some of you young people will learn that when you get to be our age, "party time" takes on a different meaning. Soon, you'll find us dancing on the dock of the Delaware Bay 'till the wee hours of the night (10 p.m.). Be safe, friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware